RTX 3080 msi sea hawk x power limit

eliotth

hi

i have a msi seahawk 3080 and the power limit is locked at 100% i have it OC at +150 on the core and +340 on the ram. The core has lows at 1960 sometimes but mostly sits over 2000mhz

It only draws 330 watts... Was thinking i can flash a vbios from a higher power limit 2X8 pin card to get more out of it. Worth it? And is it risky? 

the gpu sits at 50°c on full load so temps arent a problem

Thanks

2 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Sounds like a great way to end up with a dead GPU. You can unlock the power limit in settings in afterburner. 

no it's locked at 100% the slider wont go up

12 minutes ago, eliotth said:

Was thinking i can flash a vbios from a higher power limit 2X8 pin card to get more out of it. Worth it? And is it risky? 

Unless your card has dual BIOS (AFAIK the Seahawk X does not), it's way too risky to be worth it. You need to have a card with the same PCB in order for a cross BIOS flash to work, so unless you find a card with the same PCB as that with higher limits you're just going to end up with a bricked GPU. 

If you want a higher power limit, practically speaking your only real option is to shunt mod the card, and even that has some pretty major downsides to it. 

58 minutes ago, eliotth said:

no it's locked at 100% the slider wont go up

There is a setting in afterburner to "unlock" the power limit. You have to go check that setting. 

52 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

some pretty major downsides to it. 

Yeah, the biggest one being "high risk of bricking your card." 😉