Submerging an entire pc in isopropyl alcohol?

just randomly got curious about submersion cooling pcs cause boredom and curiosity

Mineral oil is the go to but its messy and expensive

Novec is actually purpose designed for submersion cooling but its expensive asf

But when reading the Wikipedia page for ispropyl alcohol it looks like its non conductive in pure form and freezes at -89c, not to mention a liter of the stuff (99% IPA) is only around 1$, its cheap and doesnt make a mess, it even freezes at a really low temp so if i really wanted to i could cool the thing to subzero temps

Now the question is why isnt isopropyl used instead of mineral oil? I mean yes it needs a dessicant to get any water out but other than that its dirt cheap and it even accomodates subzero cooling

Im genuinely considering building one (and will probs do so anyways) just for shits and giggles and because subzero cooled submersion pc

pretty sure most  ispropyl alcohol is not 100% pure and it can be hard to find. 

like generic dollar store ones are like 80% and rest is water or whatever and that is the issue

One would assume its very obvious but its not the first time I am surprised by the threads here. IPA is a solvent, it will dissolve shit, its also not like that alcohol and its vapors are dangerious too.

4 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Im genuinely considering building one (and will probs do so anyways) just for shits and giggles and because subzero cooled submersion pc

If you are considering dying for shits and giggles, seek help.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

also its incredibly flammable. so any sparks or anything maybe a loose wire will mean your whole house is on fire. 

alc is amazing fire starter... think moltovs etc lmao

5 minutes ago, Aidan M. said:

pretty sure most  ispropyl alcohol is not 100% pure and it can be hard to find. 

like generic dollar store ones are like 80% and rest is water or whatever and that is the issue

Online store

And i can verify that my alcohol isnt rubbish since even a tissue remains mostly dry and same goes for paper, doesnt rip easily either like if it were dry

Sure not 100% but its almost there, just needs some dessicant

4 minutes ago, Levent said:

One would assume its very obvious but its not the first time I am surprised by the threads here. IPA is a solvent, it will dissolve shit, its also not like that alcohol and its vapors are dangerious too.

If you are considering dying for shits and giggles, seek help.

I mean i use it to clean boards sometimes and all the slots are fine after a spray down

I was envisioning more like a sealed off container with the alcohol fumes never getting out (for obvious reasons related to the pungent smell) and cooling happens via a liquid to liquid or liquid to gas heat exchanger, could be a regular ass car radiator on the other side for ambient or a used ac unit for subzero

And damn i never thought the fumes were that dangerous but maybe thats because i only inhale small amounts and immedeatly get repulsed by how pungent it is

7 minutes ago, Aidan M. said:

also its incredibly flammable. so any sparks or anything maybe a loose wire will mean your whole house is on fire. 

alc is amazing fire starter... think moltovs etc lmao

As for fires maybe ill just put the entire thing in a sealed box with some gas that dont allow fires like carbon dioxide or something

Just now, Somerandomtechyboi said:

I mean i use it to clean boards sometimes and all the slots are fine after a spray down

I was envisioning more like a sealed off container with the alcohol fumes never getting out (for obvious reasons related to the pungent smell) and cooling happens via a liquid to liquid or liquid to gas heat exchanger, could be a regular ass car radiator on the other side for ambient or a used ac unit for subzero

And damn i never thought the fumes were that dangerous but maybe thats because i only inhale small amounts and immedeatly get repulsed by how pungent it is

Once again, you respond with word salad. IPA is used for cleaning, there is no reason to stress that just to make the product feel less dangerous.

If you are going to build a stupid setup like that, there are MUCH better cooling methods to use. It is incredibly dumb to use IPA for using as direct contact cooling then proceeding to come with an idea like building a condensation chamber.

This whole idea will perform worse than a $100 chinese watercooling setup and will be as safe as using half filled plastic bottle with gasoline as an ashtray. Think on your ideas for more than 10 seconds and take your adhd meds.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

9 minutes ago, Levent said:

Once again, you respond with word salad. IPA is used for cleaning, there is no reason to stress that just to make the product feel less dangerous.

If you are going to build a stupid setup like that, there are MUCH better cooling methods to use. It is incredibly dumb to use IPA for using as direct contact cooling then proceeding to come with an idea like building a condensation chamber.

This whole idea will perform worse than a $100 chinese watercooling setup and will be as safe as using half filled plastic bottle with gasoline as an ashtray. Think on your ideas for more than 10 seconds and take your adhd meds.

Oh well

Would be interesting to try if i ever get the chance to do it somewhat safely

maybe just put some dice in it and see what happens

yo @LinusTech

If you run out of video ideas then heres a really stupid one to try out, and prefferably with subzero

3 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

yo @LinusTech

If you run out of video ideas then heres a really stupid one to try out, and prefferably with subzero

I'd like to see a video testing different options for PC submerion. I'd suggest doing it like the "items you had lying around" thermal paste video, although I'm not sure how many non conductive liquids most people have lying around in their homes. 🙂

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

if you do it, please film it.

For real though, it sounds like a firehazard. Electricity, heat development and an inflammable liquid that can turn into gas at sub 100 degrees C?

To paraphrase Zero Punctuation "Its like a puppy chewing on a fire extinguisher. I will love to watch it in a video but hate to have it in my house."

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

2 minutes ago, DeerDK said:

if you do it, please film it.

For real though, it sounds like a firehazard. Electricity, heat development and an inflammable liquid that can turn into gas at sub 100 degrees C?

To paraphrase Zero Punctuation "Its like a puppy chewing on a fire extinguisher. I will love to watch it in a video but hate to have it in my house."

I will film it if i ever get around to doing this for real

Apparently freezes at -89c so no sub -100c shenanigans but that kinda temp is unachievable anyways unless you go straight for ln2, now it makes sense why dice doesnt freeze it and it can be made into poor mans liquid nitrogen

3 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

I will film it if i ever get around to doing this for real

Apparently freezes at -89c so no sub -100c shenanigans but that kinda temp is unachievable anyways unless you go straight for ln2, now it makes sense why dice doesnt freeze it and it can be made into poor mans liquid nitrogen

i was more thinking in +temperatures (the concept of distillation). My layman take still is that it sounds rather risky having alcohol fumes and electronics close together.

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

2 minutes ago, DeerDK said:

i was more thinking in +temperatures (the concept of distillation). My layman take still is that it sounds rather risky having alcohol fumes and electronics close together.

I mean it is vaporized fuel

Only takes a spark to make an explosion

Maybe not a violent explosion as in engines when compressed or when given an oxidizer but enough to maybe set some stuff on fire

Maybe in a sealed tank with no room for vapor so itll just be liquid IPA, probs would only work when the thing is chilled and running subzero so no vapors or atleast minimal vapors

Pure alcohol evaporates hard.  So what's your plan for making a sealed enclosure that still has IO ports?

But in general if no one has done something it's almost always for a reason.  Probably no one wants to handle gallons of a volatile solvent when there's other stuff out there that is much safer.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

3 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Pure alcohol evaporates hard.  So what's your plan for making a sealed enclosure that still has IO ports?

Isnt that just a matter of using some extensions?

Just make a hole for extensions then seal it off once extensions are in place so you still have i/o

100% alcohol has a huge affinity for water and will pull it out of the air.  There is a reason that you don't see 100% pure alcohol in most things, it can't be distilled there has to be chemical means to separate that last few percent of water and alcohol.    So while you start out fine you soon will have enough water in the mix to cause issues.  Not to mention the solvent properties which will pull conductive things from various places on the PC causing conductive issues. 

And as mentioned you would need to have it in an air tight enclosure.

TLDR; bad idea.