Should I return it? Q70C Samsung TV Dead Pixels Splotchy Blacks

Ace McPlane
Go to solution Solved by circeseye,

damn, you are having horrible luck

Opinions please. I just got this new Q70C QLED TV for 25% off at Best Buy in Canada. Would you return it over this? The dead pixel is at least not in the centre of the screen. I’m scared I’m going to exchange it and be even worse off. It’s happened so many times to me with VR headsets that I’m paranoid. Everything I buy has a dead pixel. 

the blotchy blacks is probably enough to return it.

I’m on the fence. 
opinions please.

note: the worst dead pixel is at very start of the video. It’s about 5 inches from the top right and noticeable from 10 feet away on a white screen. Might be 2 dead pixels together.

I'd return/exchange it, no reason not to. Presumably, they'd just give you another brand new TV free of charge if you exchange it, which I don't see any reason why it too would have issues as well.

Worst case scenario, you could take the full refund and buy a different TV if you find the replacement to have the same (or different) issue.

Keep in mind that I am sometimes wrong, so please correct me if you believe this is the case!

"The Nvidia Geforce RTX 3050 is brutally underrated"

• 2 weeks later...

I exchanged it and the new one has dead pixels too. Geez. Now it’s out of stock so I have to go for another model or wait for restock if there is restock. Are dead pixels really this common? Both displays had 3 or more dead pixels.

yea id return it and get a different model or brand. hell from your video my lg ips tv has better blacks then you and ips has the worst blacks

I exchanged it again. Props to Best Buy because they agreed to give me a deal on a better model at almost the same price since the other one’s out of stock now. I’m going to get localized dimming zones now which is awesome. I don’t have to pay anything extra to have them come replace it either after paying the first time so super happy with that.

2 TV’s in a row with dead pixels though? Maybe everyone else just isn’t doing white screen tests to look for them, but I think Samsung needs to work on quality control or their packaging, because I don’t think this is rare at all. Check your own display with a white screen. I just use notepad on a PC. Black screen too for backlight tests and for stuck pixels. Maybe don’t check it if it’s not still within the return window though. I wouldn’t want to know.. you probably wouldn’t notice them anyways unless you’re using it as a PC monitor like me.

Update: more dead pixels.

4 TV’s in a row now. The latest one only has 2 so far. I might keep it, but the 3rd one had like 15.

Geez, check your TV’s right away when you buy them.

dead pixels are very common now.

confirmed.

1 hour ago, circeseye said:

damn, you are having horrible luck

I don’t think it’s just luck. It’s not normal to be able to see pixels from 6-8 feet away on 4K screens apparently.
I play way too many flight sims..

The new one’s dead pixel is not so noticeable, but it also has some backlight bleed flashlighting on the bottom right so might have another reason to return it again.

I notice everything..

it’s a curse and a blessingIMG_5648.thumb.jpeg.c01a1313e42ee0336fc5076679f09165.jpeg

Update: I found dead pixels on the newest TV and one other in the store. Every single panel had some. It was like 5-6 in a row. Confirmed. Dead pixels are very common at least with this make and model. It sucks and they shouldn’t be, but they are.

The newest one I got also had backlight bleed on the bottom right/middle edge just like the last one. Of course I couldn’t see it in the store. 2 in a row with that. Sigh.. Samsung’s quality control is not great.

They’re not going to let me exchange it again at Best Buy so I either have to return it or keep it. The backlight bleed is a worse issue so I’d prioritize that if you buy a new TV. I’m hoping it gets better with time if I keep it.

Update: I found dead pixels on the newest TV and one other in the store.

There’s even a dead pixel cluster. Luckily it’s only on the bottom edge:

IMG_5700.png.283ab7e6aa250764cb74bc62995c545c.png

Every single panel had some. It was like 5-6 in a row. Confirmed. Dead pixels are very common at least with this make and model. It sucks and they shouldn’t be, but they are.

The newest one I got also had backlight bleed on the bottom right/middle edge and at the top left worse than the last one. Of course I couldn’t see it in the store. 2 in a row with that. Sigh.. Samsung’s quality control is not great.

They’re not going to let me exchange it again at Best Buy so I either have to return it or keep it. The backlight bleed is a worse issue so I’d prioritize that if you buy a new TV. I’m hoping it gets better with time if I keep it.