Buy a 144Hz or wait for G Sync?

Moses Sandals

Hey!

I'm wanting to upgrade from my Samsung 21.5 inch monitor however im stuck to wether buy a BenQ 24 inch 144Hz Monitor and wait for more G Sync monitors to be released.

System Specs

i7 4770k

gtx 780 ti

8Gb Ram

Any help is appreciated!  :D

The 780 should run ULMB/LightBoost pretty well. Look into it and decide if that's something that would interest you. Otherwise, I'd wait for G-Sync.

An IPS monitor. 144hz has horrible color reproduction. Get something like an IPS monitor and yea... you'll love the amazing colors. 

Now, that isn't saying that 144hz are completely stupid and shouldn't exist. They DO have their (while very minute) advantages over something like an IPS monitor. 

That's just my 2 cents though :P If you really want the 144hz, just get it now and don't wait for Gsync. It's a long ways away AFAIK

Just get the monitor that fits the specifications you are looking for in terms of panel and refresh rate. G-sync looks to be irreverent at this point. As long as it has DisplayPort 1.2a connection, you will soon be able to run a FreeSync adaptation which will do essentially the exact same thing as G-sync. Also it will likely be out before g-sync anyway.

Just get the monitor that fits the specifications you are looking for in terms of panel and refresh rate. G-sync looks to be irreverent at this point. As long as it has DisplayPort 1.2a connection, you will soon be able to run a FreeSync adaptation which will do essentially the exact same thing as G-sync. Also it will likely be out before g-sync anyway.

I very much doubt it, AMD has said it expects FreeSync capable monitors to be 6-12 months away.

Just like G-Sync, it's a big change to monitor hardware that will take a while to be developed & go into manufacturing.

I very much doubt it, AMD has said it expects FreeSync capable monitors to be 6-12 months away.

Just like G-Sync, it's a big change to monitor hardware that will take a while to be developed & go into manufacturing.

The whole idea behind freesync is that it doesn't require expensive proprietary hardware built into the monitor. Using a DP 1.2a connection (assuming you have the newest video cards) should have the same effect. Even if i am wrong on the timetable, i stick to the statement it will most likely be out, ready, and widely available before G-Sync is. The OP wants to know if he should wait, and that's hard to say. Personally, i don't live my life on a "well it might be better in 4 months approach" but i do understand spending money can be sensitive thing.

The whole idea behind freesync is that it doesn't require expensive proprietary hardware built into the monitor. Using a DP 1.2a connection (assuming you have the newest video cards) should have the same effect.

There's still been no indication of Nvidia cards supporting Adaptive Sync.

From what I can tell both g sync and free sync are going to take a long time to implement and catch on. 

So I would say go for a 144hz monitor now or a 120hz one. 

Twitter | Steam |

Thanks for the suggestions guys!  :D  I will be definitely be looking more into IPS monitors and i do see how g sync will take a while before it is properly implemented. 

Cheers

Sam

There's still been no indication of Nvidia cards supporting Adaptive Sync.

Nvidia cards already have adaptive vsync, although it is terrible.

Wait and see if Adaptive Sync is any good. I am guessing it will be a similar experience but G-Sync will be better. It's a custom controller made by a company that doesn't make crappy hardware. Neither does AMD but AMD isn't making controllers for panels are they. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Nvidia cards already have adaptive vsync, although it is terrible.

Subtract the V - aka FreeSync. They really should have stuck with the FreeSync name.

Asus and AOC should have GSync offerings out in June.

Most likely a version 2 of the GSync module. My version 1 kit has worked flawlessly though.

FreeSync will require all new scalar ASICs just like GSync. The only difference is the manufacturers will have to do all the work to implement it. People seem to think a simple change to the DP standard will make it just magically work.

main(i){for(;i<101;i++)printf("Fizz\n\0Fizzz\bBuzz\n\0%d\n"+(!(i%5)^!!(i%3)*3)*6,i);}

Hey guys, any idea on what the price premium on a G-Sync or FreeSync monitor might be? I currently have what must be the worlds worst monitor, and am really itching to upgrade. Should I spend a little on a not so garbage monitor now and wait a little bit and spend the big bucks later on down the line?

Hey guys, any idea on what the price premium on a G-Sync or FreeSync monitor might be? I currently have what must be the worlds worst monitor, and am really itching to upgrade. Should I spend a little on a not so garbage monitor now and wait a little bit and spend the big bucks later on down the line?

The ASUS ROG swift, 27" 1440p 120htz 1ms response time and G-sync will cost $800 and that is the best you can get for a TN panel, other G-sync monitors will be cheaper then that.

If you are going to get an Nvision 2 monitor that is 1080p then you may as well get a preinstalled Gsync Asus VGE248QE that has the gsync module already. You can buy gsync today and have been able to do so since January. The wait is for the other models and specifically the 1440p gsync monitor. I don't think there is much point getting an Nvision 2 monitor now because the gsync model contains all the same functionality and many parts have been updated (like the low persistence mode) and also includes gsync.

I wouldn't call the Asus monitor fantastic but if you are buying now rather than in 2 months then its a good option. Waiting for Freesync will be 6 to 12 months by AMDs own account and we have no real clue what it is.