Intel i5 12400F vs Ryzen 5 5600X

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
20 minutes ago, IndirectX said:

The Ryzen is unlocked for overclocking while the Intel is locked

you can overclock a 12400F if you get a capable motherboard. The B760M PG Riptide is usually the cheapest option that does, in addition to being one of the cheaper boards in general. The 12400F is one of the few chips that actually benefits from overclocking, getting ~30% uplift depending on the situation. 

24 minutes ago, IndirectX said:

1. According to UserBenchmark, Ryzen has a very big increase in its base clock

Friends don't let friends use UserBenchmark. 

21 minutes ago, IndirectX said:

3. Turbo clock is bigger by 0.2 GHz

4. Massive cache increase, Ryzen having 35MB L3 while Intel having 18MB L3

These aren't really comparable across generations, as different architectures have different reliance on cache than others and IPC varies. 

5. Runs cooler and power efficient

Power needs are basically identical between the 12400F and 5600X at stock. 

23 minutes ago, IndirectX said:

Also finding coolers for AM4 socket is getting harder

No? AM4 is the same mounting as AM5. 

If the 12400F is cheaper overall, get that. 

A very big doubt I have been having. Both of them have almost the exact same price in my area

Advantages of Intel i5 12400F:

1. Supports LGA 1700, allowing for decent upgrades (till 14th gen). While the Ryzen supports AM4, requiring to get an AM5 motherboard if needed in the future

2. According to UserBenchmark, Intel is better at 2% score. Little greater at the average score and good at the overclock score

3. Its a little bit cheaper in my area

4. Supports DDR5 RAM, which I kind of like

5. Being a user of Intel (i5 11300H and 2 other unknown i5s), I like the look of the software

Advantages of Ryzen 5 5600X:

2. The Ryzen is unlocked for overclocking while the Intel is locked

I prefer LGA 1700 motherboards because there are a lot of options to choose from, while AM4 motherboards are very trippy to choose from (personal opinion)

Personally, on checking the temperatures from youtube videos, the 12400F does well and is almost similar to he 5600X

Also will plan to use an NVIDIA GPU, so Smart Access Memory is out of question

Which to pick? I do a balance of both gaming and documentation (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.)

Laptop gamer!!!

I break phone software to learn something new.

Looking for a pre-built PC or gaming laptop which can be upgraded.

20 minutes ago, IndirectX said:

The Ryzen is unlocked for overclocking while the Intel is locked

you can overclock a 12400F if you get a capable motherboard. The B760M PG Riptide is usually the cheapest option that does, in addition to being one of the cheaper boards in general. The 12400F is one of the few chips that actually benefits from overclocking, getting ~30% uplift depending on the situation. 

21 minutes ago, IndirectX said:

These aren't really comparable across generations, as different architectures have different reliance on cache than others and IPC varies. 

23 minutes ago, IndirectX said:

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Thanks a lot, I knew UserBenchmark was acting weird a few times. But I frequently use it for anything I find. Are there any other websites which can benchmark other than youtube?

Personally for some reason, I prefer bigger motherboards. So ATX for me. I will choose a MSI Z790-P and I'll consider using your suggestion for a tough situation with money

12400F is indeed cheaper overall, I will consider the 12400F. Thanks for the answer

Laptop gamer!!!

5 minutes ago, IndirectX said:

But I frequently use it for anything I find. Are there any other websites which can benchmark other than youtube?

TechPowerUp's reviews and GPU Database are based on good data and are easy to understand at a glance (I have heard some say that they are slightly Intel/Nvidia biased, though I haven't really noticed that comparing their numbers to everyone else's). They're what I use, though there might be some other decent options. 

7 minutes ago, IndirectX said:

Personally for some reason, I prefer bigger motherboards. So ATX for me. I will choose a MSI Z790-P and I'll consider using your suggestion for a tough situation with money

The Z790-P is just a worse mobo than the B760M PG Riptide for a a 12400F though. Ironically, it doesn't support overclocking while the B760M PG Riptide does. It may be smaller, but it's a fantastic board, especially considering how cheap it usually is. 

3 minutes ago, IndirectX said:

Thanks a lot, I knew UserBenchmark was acting weird a few times. But I frequently use it for anything I find. Are there any other websites which can benchmark other than youtube?

12400F is indeed cheaper overall, I will consider the 12400F. Thanks for the answer

Techpowerup, Techspot(HardwareUnboxed on YT), Guru3D, Kitguru, and GamersNexus on youtube.

It doesn't make much sense to go with a Z790 board with a 12400 unless you're getting some crazy discount on it. Also I don't think that board can overclock the 12400, but I'm not sure on that.

If you want to go 12400F + Z790 + DDR5, i would probably advise against it, a Ryzen 7600 + B650 + DDR5 is going to be about the same price for better performance. A 13600K + B760 + DDR4 would probably also be similar in price.

4 minutes ago, KaitouX said:

Also I don't think that board can overclock the 12400, but I'm not sure on that.

it can't, the number of boards that can overclock the 12400 are pretty minimal, and they're mostly Maximus series and XOC boards. 

https://community.hwbot.org/topic/210553-intel-12th-gen-non-k-oc-capable-boards-bios-versions/

If you get one of those handful of boards and plan to overclock it, then it should be better than the 7600X for a bit cheaper. Otherwise, I'd rather the 7600

12 hours ago, IndirectX said:

A very big doubt I have been having. Both of them have almost the exact same price in my area

Advantages of Intel i5 12400F:

1. Supports LGA 1700, allowing for decent upgrades (till 14th gen). While the Ryzen supports AM4, requiring to get an AM5 motherboard if needed in the future

2. According to UserBenchmark, Intel is better at 2% score. Little greater at the average score and good at the overclock score

3. Its a little bit cheaper in my area

4. Supports DDR5 RAM, which I kind of like

5. Being a user of Intel (i5 11300H and 2 other unknown i5s), I like the look of the software

Advantages of Ryzen 5 5600X:

2. The Ryzen is unlocked for overclocking while the Intel is locked

I prefer LGA 1700 motherboards because there are a lot of options to choose from, while AM4 motherboards are very trippy to choose from (personal opinion)

Personally, on checking the temperatures from youtube videos, the 12400F does well and is almost similar to he 5600X

Also will plan to use an NVIDIA GPU, so Smart Access Memory is out of question

Which to pick? I do a balance of both gaming and documentation (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.)

yeap the ryzen is better all around,  and overclocking is not something that would make a huge difference,  undervolting is usually better, especially because most pcs have awful cooling ~

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 10/29/2023 at 11:45 AM, RONOTHAN## said:

TechPowerUp's reviews and GPU Database are based on good data and are easy to understand at a glance (I have heard some say that they are slightly Intel/Nvidia biased, though I haven't really noticed that comparing their numbers to everyone else's). They're what I use, though there might be some other decent options. 

The Z790-P is just a worse mobo than the B760M PG Riptide for a a 12400F though. Ironically, it doesn't support overclocking while the B760M PG Riptide does. It may be smaller, but it's a fantastic board, especially considering how cheap it usually is. 

Thanks for the response.

TechPowerUp's database is very convenient. About the motherboards, I shall see to it

On 10/29/2023 at 11:49 AM, KaitouX said:

Techpowerup, Techspot(HardwareUnboxed on YT), Guru3D, Kitguru, and GamersNexus on youtube.

It doesn't make much sense to go with a Z790 board with a 12400 unless you're getting some crazy discount on it. Also I don't think that board can overclock the 12400, but I'm not sure on that.

If you want to go 12400F + Z790 + DDR5, i would probably advise against it, a Ryzen 7600 + B650 + DDR5 is going to be about the same price for better performance. A 13600K + B760 + DDR4 would probably also be similar in price.

Thanks for the response.

Sadly, the AMD build is 25% more expensive than my Intel build for me. I loved the AMD5 Motherboard you suggested too, i have opened my mind to AMD motherboards now.

The second Intel build you suggested is also 30% more expensive than my Intel build for me. 

15 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

yeap the ryzen is better all around,  and overclocking is not something that would make a huge difference,  undervolting is usually better, especially because most pcs have awful cooling ~

Thanks for the response. I'd agree that Ryzens do better than Intel in some scenarios. Personally, I have been stuck up on overclocking because I wanted to squeeze every last bit of performance from a cheap CPU. I need to try out undervolting

Laptop gamer!!!

4 hours ago, IndirectX said:

Sadly, the AMD build is 25% more expensive than my Intel build for me. I loved the AMD5 Motherboard you suggested too, i have opened my mind to AMD motherboards now.

The second Intel build you suggested is also 30% more expensive than my Intel build for me.

What country you live in? In the US the 7600+B650 should be about the same price, unless you're going overkill on the motherboard. In a quick check the 7600 is about $440 for 7600+basic b650+decent DDR5, the 12400F+Z790-P+decent DDR5 is about $10 more, and the 13600K+B760+DDR4 is another $10, or $35 if you go with DDR5 here too.

13 hours ago, KaitouX said:

What country you live in? In the US the 7600+B650 should be about the same price, unless you're going overkill on the motherboard. In a quick check the 7600 is about $440 for 7600+basic b650+decent DDR5, the 12400F+Z790-P+decent DDR5 is about $10 more, and the 13600K+B760+DDR4 is another $10, or $35 if you go with DDR5 here too.

I live in India. I dont go overkill for a motherboard. The prices are just completely messed up.

However, I have decided to go AMD, thanks to your suggestion:
AMD Ryzen 5 7600 (Non X) + MSI PRO B650-P WiFi + RTX 3060 (for the vRAM)

Through cost-cutting (Peripherals) and switching from water (AIO) to air cooled, I am seeing some savings

Please send a message if you want me to send a summary of all the prices in Indian currency.

Laptop gamer!!!

6 hours ago, IndirectX said:

I live in India. I dont go overkill for a motherboard. The prices are just completely messed up.

However, I have decided to go AMD, thanks to your suggestion:
AMD Ryzen 5 7600 (Non X) + MSI PRO B650-P WiFi + RTX 3060 (for the vRAM)

Through cost-cutting (Peripherals) and switching from water (AIO) to air cooled, I am seeing some savings

Please send a message if you want me to send a summary of all the prices in Indian currency.

Worked out something new:

Intel i5 12400F + MSI B760 WiFi + GigaByte RTX 3060

There is a high bottleneck for the processor, so I'm planning to try and downgrade the GPU

Laptop gamer!!!

1 hour ago, IndirectX said:

There is a high bottleneck for the processor, so I'm planning to try and downgrade the GPU

Please ignore those terrible "bottlenecking" websites. The 3060 is a good match for the 12400F.

The only time you need to start worrying about bottlenecks is in terribly unbalanced systems like a 3090 (top end GPU) with a 12100 (entry level CPU), and even then most games beside the latest AAA titles will still be just fine.

On 10/31/2023 at 2:41 PM, HorseBattery said:

Please ignore those terrible "bottlenecking" websites. The 3060 is a good match for the 12400F.

The only time you need to start worrying about bottlenecks is in terribly unbalanced systems like a 3090 (top end GPU) with a 12100 (entry level CPU), and even then most games beside the latest AAA titles will still be just fine.

Thank you for the motivation! I will be sticking to a 12400F + RTX 3050 to save money, I will consider upgrading in the future

Laptop gamer!!!