Two Samsung TVs Next To Each Other And Remotes Control Both

nick name

Hello,

Sorry I have a first-world problem.  I have a Samsung Q80T and a Samsung S95B next to each other and their remotes will often control the other TV.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop this?  The biggest issue is with using the power button.  Sometimes I want one on with the other off.

I use the S95B to watch TV/movies and the Q80T as a PC monitor.  

I have the regular remotes for both TVs and a "regular" Samsung remote I bought to try and prevent this.  I have also blocked what I think is the IR port on the Q80T, but the remote crosstalk still happens with all three remotes.

Thank you.

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

The first solution to come to mind is to get something with HDMI CEC support like a receiver, sound bar, Chromecast, this, etc., and use the remote from that to control the main TV, not the actual Samsung remotes. 

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The first solution to come to mind is to get something with HDMI CEC support like a receiver, sound bar, Chromecast, this, etc., and use the remote from that to control the main TV, not the actual Samsung remotes. 

Thank you.  I have a Roku and thought about using that, but I'm worried the Roku won't be as good as the S95B's onboard apps.  Something like a receiver is out of the question and I have a sound bar, but I don't know how using that would help here.  Could you explain?

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

1 minute ago, nick name said:

I have a sound bar, but I don't know how using that would help here.  Could you explain?

Some sound bars have HDMI hubs in them, and in order to control said hubs they need to use a hub. If they provide their own remote, as a way to make it a little more functional, they also tend to use a technology called HDMI-CEC to control some of the more basic functions of the TV (volume, power, and sometimes menus and input selection). If your soundbar has this technology and its own remote, make sure it's plugged into the corresponding HDMI port (it should be as the HDMI-CEC port is usually the same port as the HDMI-ARC port you use for a sound bar) and that its enabled in the TV's settings, then use the soundbar remote to turn the TV on and off rather than the Samsung remotes. 

9 minutes ago, nick name said:

I have a Roku and thought about using that, but I'm worried the Roku won't be as good as the S95B's onboard apps.

From my experience using a couple smart TVs (not specifically Samsung's, but from what I've heard they're not that different), the Roku would be better. 

3 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Some sound bars have HDMI hubs in them, and in order to control said hubs they need to use a hub. If they provide their own remote, as a way to make it a little more functional, they also tend to use a technology called HDMI-CEC to control some of the more basic functions of the TV (volume, power, and sometimes menus and input selection). If your soundbar has this technology and its own remote, make sure it's plugged into the corresponding HDMI port (it should be as the HDMI-CEC port is usually the same port as the HDMI-ARC port you use for a sound bar) and that its enabled in the TV's settings, then use the soundbar remote to turn the TV on and off rather than the Samsung remotes. 

From my experience using a couple smart TVs (not specifically Samsung's, but from what I've heard they're not that different), the Roku would be better. 

Samsung's built in smart tv shit is, well, shit. You're absolutely right, Roku would be infinitely better

1 hour ago, nick name said:

but I'm worried the Roku won't be as good as the S95B's onboard apps

Most smart TV makers have crappy interface and apps. Roku, Amazon, Android do the smart TV boxes better. I have used both Amazon and Roku devices. Roku has a lot of free content, but does get in to pissing matches with content providers and some times certain apps may no longer be available. Amazon sticks at least the ones I have owed are very hack-able and for the most part have everything but the interface is a bit worse than the Roku.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

10 hours ago, nick name said:

Hello,

Sorry I have a first-world problem.  I have a Samsung Q80T and a Samsung S95B next to each other and their remotes will often control the other TV.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop this?  The biggest issue is with using the power button.  Sometimes I want one on with the other off.

I use the S95B to watch TV/movies and the Q80T as a PC monitor.  

I have the regular remotes for both TVs and a "regular" Samsung remote I bought to try and prevent this.  I have also blocked what I think is the IR port on the Q80T, but the remote crosstalk still happens with all three remotes.

Thank you.

Have you tried using your phone as the remote? Being bluetooth, it should pair with each TV seperately.

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00083002/

On 10/27/2023 at 7:54 PM, nick name said:

Thank you.  I have a Roku and thought about using that, but I'm worried the Roku won't be as good as the S95B's onboard apps.  Something like a receiver is out of the question and I have a sound bar, but I don't know how using that would help here.  Could you explain?

Built-in Tizen apps range from acceptable to dogshit. Assuming your Roku box does 4K HDR, use that.

Thank you for everyone's suggestions.  I have solved the problem by buying a bigger TCL QM8 65".  Gonna give my Samsung Q80T 55" to my sister.

I have the same issue even though one of the TVs is 10 years older. For some reason my Apple TV remote also controls the new tv. It’s so stupid, it’s funny. First world problems of course, but never had this problem with old tech. Good thing I don’t have a garage door opener because the Samsung remote might open it.

Samsung has used the same IR codes for their TVs for the past 10+ years. When I was working for an AV company we ran into this issue a lot in rec/game rooms with 3, 4, or more TV's. If the TV's were due for upgrades, we'd mix Samsung and LG to avoid 'crosstalk.' But it's not a great solution. The other thing we'd do is make little 'blinders' around the IR sensors (typically on the center logo part) so that you had to be directly in front of the TV to use the remote. But if there was a TV on the opposite wall, the IR would bounce off the screen and still control the one behind you. Some of the newer Samsung remotes started using bluetooth for some of the controls, but the power on/off is still an IR blast. If you're curious to see if your remote is shooting out IR, use your phone camera, look at the remote IR emitter with the camera (the shiny bit at the front) and start pressing buttons. You'll see the IR light up when it's sending IR, if there's no light, it's using a bluetooth connection. If both TV's use bluetooth for everything but power, the 'final' solution is completely covering the IR sensors on the TV's, manually powering them on, and then using the respective remote for each TV.

Yeah, I actually still have the problem.  I did not realize that the TCL doesn't have great 1080p 240 Hz performance so I cancelled the order.  Which I guess worked out as I just had to buy a new set of tires.  

But I did learn something.  The old TV will turn on both sets, but the new remote only turns on the new one.  So that's something I guess.

On 11/7/2023 at 11:33 PM, Ace McPlane said:

I have the same issue even though one of the TVs is 10 years older. For some reason my Apple TV remote also controls the new tv. It’s so stupid, it’s funny. First world problems of course, but never had this problem with old tech. Good thing I don’t have a garage door opener because the Samsung remote might open it.

Welp I guess I won't bother opening the Apple TV then.

36 minutes ago, nick name said:

Yeah, I actually still have the problem.  I did not realize that the TCL doesn't have great 1080p 240 Hz performance so I cancelled the order.  Which I guess worked out as I just had to buy a new set of tires.  

But I did learn something.  The old TV will turn on both sets, but the new remote only turns on the new one.  So that's something I guess.

You can use the voice control too. I’m using it to set the volume and turn off the TV now.  Bixby is hard for me to say though. I can’t imagine the trouble Mike Tyson has..

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2023 at 10:01 PM, Ace McPlane said:

You can use the voice control too. I’m using it to set the volume and turn off the TV now.  Bixby is hard for me to say though. I can’t imagine the trouble Mike Tyson has..

Lol.

I just learned the Hisense U8K does 1080p at 240Hz with proper input lag.  So I might end up going with another, larger TV.