Vague HT upgrade feedback

Simon Bruun

Hi

The latest LTT video of Linus reworking his living room HT setup got the thinking about my setup. 

I've been running a Marantz SR7005 since 2012. with a same aged KEF Serie R 5.1 speaker system.
The TV is an LG OLED65E6V with horrible burn in by now. It is also used as a PC, so Taskbar and Icons are always visible, so the TV could be up for a switch, in the near future too.  

I don't have many issues with my current setup, but are a few i could mention

• There are some weird subwoofer "blurps", when watching flow TV, sounds like wrong signals getting passed through to the woofer, it is just an annoying out of place noise. 
  • I never really had a good a surround feeling, I can hear them, and of cause when you fiddle with the system and run demo videos and really listen, I hear them. But when I casual consume content I don't really notice them. 
  • Overhead sound - I never actually listened to a HT with overhead sound, I feel like it could be nice to have, preferable something that can bounce off the ceiling.
  • SR7005 can not passthrough 4k video. Fortunately my UHD player had the possibility to only send sound out of one HDMI and 4K Video out of another HDMI. But sadly I've gotten lazy and only stream now.  

When I mention upgrade I mean a new receiver, and perhaps some additional speakers. 

I guess my vague question is "Should i look into upgrading my system". Things that could effect my decision.

• Has anything hit the market that will "blow my mind" in the last 11 years - Like overhead speakers, and Dolby Atmos like sound.
  • Has room correction gotten better, I think I have a horrible room for HT, so even better room correction could be nice. 
  • Anything that I completely missed in the HT market in the last 11 years that you just can't live without today ? 

Or put in another way, can I breathe new life/excitement into my current HT, and what steps should i take to make that happen ?

53 minutes ago, Simon Bruun said:

Has anything hit the market that will "blow my mind" in the last 11 years

i mean nothing has hit the market that blows me away in the last 30 years , not like sound waves or human ears have changed.

7 hours ago, emosun said:

i mean nothing has hit the market that blows me away in the last 30 years , not like sound waves or human ears have changed.

Hehe, got it, and thanks :) 

To that point. I do feel like ease-of-use could be a factor too. so not only taking the sound and movie experience into account. 

Today the TV controls the reciever via HDMI, and that works pretty well for me. 

ive now ran a 7.1.4 atmos system for 3 years. and from what ive found is the ceilings dont engage much because im guessing most movies dont care about it. (now top gun 2 was a exception). when the movie really uses the ceiling its pretty damn sweet.
and to really get your surrounds and rears more noticeable you have to manually turn them up a bit more then the avr sets them up. my denon after audacy set up i have to turn center to +4, surrounds +2, rears +2 and heights +3, and manually turn the sub to what sounds better

11 hours ago, Simon Bruun said:

Hehe, got it, and thanks 🙂

To that point. I do feel like ease-of-use could be a factor too. so not only taking the sound and movie experience into account. 

Today the TV controls the reciever via HDMI, and that works pretty well for me. 

It also did 30 years ago via rca. Volume up on the tv is volume up on the amp.

But in all honesty i never really found it difficult or confusing to turn a volume knob but others milage may vary 

6 hours ago, circeseye said:

ive now ran a 7.1.4 atmos system for 3 years. and from what ive found is the ceilings dont engage much because im guessing most movies dont care about it. (now top gun 2 was a exception). when the movie really uses the ceiling its pretty damn sweet.
and to really get your surrounds and rears more noticeable you have to manually turn them up a bit more then the avr sets them up. my denon after audacy set up i have to turn center to +4, surrounds +2, rears +2 and heights +3, and manually turn the sub to what sounds better

Thanks for sharing that. I can imagine that the atmos/ceiling channel stuff is quite rare in videos. The same with 4K video, I would have guessed by now, that it would be a lot more common to watch content at 4k , but you still have to actively search for 4k videos to find them. So i can imagine that movies with ceiling audio channels is even harder to come by. 

I think my vague question has been answered. Nothing extraordinary has happened that throw money after.

I'll put some extra effort configuration into my existing system and hope I'll be satisfied with that. 
Also i hope that the subwoofer "blurps" can be resolved somehow too. 

Thanks emosun and circesye for your comments.