7900 XTX hotspot temp?

Blindsay

I thought I remembered an issue a while back with the 7900 XTX hot spot temp? I can't remember what happened with it though. I ask because as I'm sitting here playing Diablo 4 I see my hotspot at 108c. Everything bone stock and plenty of airflow (in fact I just got a new case to try to help it a bit even)

1 minute ago, Blindsay said:

I can't remember what happened with it though.

It was an issue with the AMD-made reference cards, they didn't fill the vapor chamber correctly so the cards weren't being cooled correctly. If you have an AIB version, this isn't a factor. 

2 minutes ago, Blindsay said:

I ask because as I'm sitting here playing Diablo 4 I see my hotspot at 108c

That's high, but not crazy high. Those cards with issues would be pinned at 115C, not 108. 

27 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It was an issue with the AMD-made reference cards, they didn't fill the vapor chamber correctly so the cards weren't being cooled correctly. If you have an AIB version, this isn't a factor. 

That's high, but not crazy high. Those cards with issues would be pinned at 115C, not 108. 

Thanks, It is this exact card - https://pg.asrock.com/Graphics-Card/AMD/Radeon RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming 24GB OC/index.asp

I had it in a Fractal torrent nano but it couldnt get fresh air that well. Just put it in a phanteks NV5 but that didnt seem to help much

29 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

i mean, just hypothetically, that could happen to any manufacturer,  it was just a more widespread issue with the reference cards? And i also remember something about "cracking" which I'm not sure was the same or another issue? (or even another gpu entirely) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

i mean, just hypothetically, that could happen to any manufacturer,  it was just a more widespread issue with the reference cards? And i also remember something about "cracking" which I'm not sure was the same or another issue? (or even another gpu entirely) 

IIRC, it was mainly reference design cards as even AMD acknowledged the problem that a small portion of 7900XTX cards were affected. 

For the latter with silicon cracking, I believe it was mined RX 6800XT/6900XT 'Big Navi' dies cracking as the miners stored them improperly and when buyers received them, did not allow for them to get acclimated to the temperature inside their homes causing them to crack. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

9 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

For the latter with silicon cracking, I believe it was mined RX 6800XT/6900XT

ah, i see, thanks (so a different card)

10 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

IIRC, it was mainly reference design cards as even AMD acknowledged the problem that a small portion of 7900XTX cards were affected. 

well as said,  hypothetically that could happen to anyone with a vapor chamber,  but then im not sure how bad 108c really is... maybe hotspot isnt even the important factor, just sounds *really* hot to me (max hotspot for my 3070 would be around 80c as it never seems to deviate more than 10c from "gpu temp") 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

ah, i see, thanks (so a different card)

No problem!

2 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

well as said,  hypothetically that could happen to anyone with a vapor chamber,  but then im not sure how bad 108c really is... maybe hotspot isnt even the important factor, just sounds *really* hot to me (max hotspot for my 3070 would be around 80c as it never seems to deviate more than 10c from "gpu temp") 

No doubt about that as anything can happen across other card models as well as manufacturing defects can never be theoretically zero, and some will have issues. However, with that being said, it was a bigger issue for initial batches of reference design cards with a bad vapor chamber. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

1 hour ago, Blindsay said:

I thought I remembered an issue a while back with the 7900 XTX hot spot temp? I can't remember what happened with it though. I ask because as I'm sitting here playing Diablo 4 I see my hotspot at 108c. Everything bone stock and plenty of airflow (in fact I just got a new case to try to help it a bit even)

It's a bit on the high side but throttle point should be 110C (where it will start down clocking).  I have a 7900 XTX Taichi (so beefier cooler) and it is generally sitting between 90 - 100C with 70% fan speed in Diablo 4 when framerate was uncapped for reference.  There are others who have been getting temps better than mine as well, but even after a re-paste that's where it ended up.

EDIT - Saw the concern about comparison between edge and hot spot temps.  With my 90 - 100C it never got about 70C.  I had a 3080 previously and was concerned with the large hot spot delta as well.  Still not super happy with a 30 degree delta there, but after going through the effort of repasting myself I couldn't see it getting any better 😕

Edited by Livin

13 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

but then im not sure how bad 108c really is... maybe hotspot isnt even the important factor, just sounds *really* hot to me (max hotspot for my 3070 would be around 80c as it never seems to deviate more than 10c from "gpu temp") 

Different card architectures are different. According to @Livin the throttle point for current gen cards is 110C, on my Radeon VII it was 115C. VRAM can also get quite spicy, I believe some Ampere cards run it at a steady 110C for ages and it's good up to 115C. Both are different from the main core temp itself, and them being much hotter than you'd expect isn't necessarily cause for concern.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

I wanted to add some input here because I've had experience with hotspot delta on my 7900XT which is the basic amd reference design.

I bought the card maybe 4-5 months ago and was having 30-40c hotspot delta from the start.

I would regularly see 95-100c on the hotspot while my GPU Edge temp was sitting at 65-70c.

My card was bought used from a UK company called CEX but with a 2 year warranty.

I did however have experience repasting GPU's and knew there was nothing scary about it so I bought myself some TFX and went at it , It was super viscous and supposed to be pump out resistant.

Ended up getting good results....but not really.

I would bring the hotspot down to the 80s but after 2-3 weeks it would climb up to 95-100c again....I would open the card and all the paste was gone from the middle of the die....Pump out effect at work.

Tried a few difference pastes until I read about Honeywell PTM7950 which is not a paste but a phase change pad that claims to be nearly impossible to pump out.

So i bought it , Little bit more finicky but honestly still not too hard to apply and I'm pleased to say that 3 months later my GPU Edge temp is 65c and my hotspot is at 81c

It actually has gotten slightly better over time which is apparently quite common with it.

That's with a reference card and a maxed out power slider so really the worst case scenario.

So all you guys who have high temps on your 7900 series,  Get yourself some honeywell and ill expect to see results posted in here!

CPU : Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ -18mv all core except -13mv on Core 5 because its a pig.

CPU Cooler : Deepcool AK620 Zero Dark

Mobo : MSI B650M-A Wifi MATX

Ram : 32GB (2X16GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000MHZ CL34

GPU : Reference Design RX7900XT sold by Saphire running at 1050MV undervolt and +15% PL (355w)

Storage : 1TB WD SN770 + 2TB Samsung 970 Evo

PSU : Corsair HX750w Platinum

Case : Asus Prime AP201 All Mesh MATX

Case Fans : Arctic p12's everywhere i can fit them in , 7 In total.

Monitor : LG 27GP850-B.BEK 1440p Nano IPS 180Hz

Keyboard : HyperX Alloy Core RGB

Mouse : Corsair M65 Elite RGB

Headset : Corsair HS35 Gaming Headset

18 minutes ago, Bagzie said:

I wanted to add some input here because I've had experience with hotspot delta on my 7900XT which is the basic amd reference design.

I bought the card maybe 4-5 months ago and was having 30-40c hotspot delta from the start.

I would regularly see 95-100c on the hotspot while my GPU Edge temp was sitting at 65-70c.

My card was bought used from a UK company called CEX but with a 2 year warranty.

I did however have experience repasting GPU's and knew there was nothing scary about it so I bought myself some TFX and went at it , It was super viscous and supposed to be pump out resistant.

I would bring the hotspot down to the 80s but after 2-3 weeks it would climb up to 95-100c again....I would open the card and all the paste was gone from the middle of the die....Pump out effect at work.

Tried a few difference pastes until I read about Honeywell PTM7950 which is not a paste but a phase change pad that claims to be nearly impossible to pump out.

So i bought it , Little bit more finicky but honestly still not too hard to apply and I'm pleased to say that 3 months later my GPU Edge temp is 65c and my hotspot is at 81c

It actually has gotten slightly better over time which is apparently quite common with it.

That's with a reference card and a maxed out power slider so really the worst case scenario.

So all you guys who have high temps on your 7900 series,  Get yourself some honeywell and ill expect to see results posted in here!

My card's on RMA right now for other reasons but will definitely be checking that out after it's back.  16 degree delta on hot spot is way more reasonable than the 30 degrees I was seeing.

16 hours ago, Bagzie said:

Interested in this PTM7950 since my Strix 3080 has some serious pump out issues. It seems to be difficult to find a reputable seller. Can you send a link to the website you used to buy it?

18 hours ago, Zando_ said:

VRAM can also get quite spicy, I believe some Ampere cards run it at a steady 110C for ages and it's good up to 115C.

Just to clarify this a bit, GDDR6x is what's good for 115C. GDDR6 will throttle before that. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

So i found in the AMD software the max speed of my gpu fan was set to something like 76%. I gave it a max of 100% and it is able to keep the hot spot at like 98c max now

On 10/19/2023 at 8:30 PM, Blindsay said:

Thanks, It is this exact card - https://pg.asrock.com/Graphics-Card/AMD/Radeon RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming 24GB OC/index.asp

I had it in a Fractal torrent nano but it couldnt get fresh air that well. Just put it in a phanteks NV5 but that didnt seem to help much

Did you try to UV?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

• 3 weeks later...

I know the threads older, but thought I'd post a quick update/note surrounding the conversation on hot spot.  Through various events, I ended up getting credit for my 7900 XTX Taichi and have swapped it for a Sapphire 7900 XTX Nitro.  Hot spot on the Nitro is waaaaaaaaaay better.  Now I'm getting a 10 - 13 degree delta between edge temp and hot spot with a max hot spot temp of 84C. 

Don't know what was happening specifically with the Taichi card, but for a similar size cooler the Nitro is performing much closer to what my expectations were.  Keep in mind, I did disassemble the Taichi and repaste, still ending up with a 30 degree delta....

10 hours ago, Livin said:

I know the threads older, but thought I'd post a quick update/note surrounding the conversation on hot spot.  Through various events, I ended up getting credit for my 7900 XTX Taichi and have swapped it for a Sapphire 7900 XTX Nitro.  Hot spot on the Nitro is waaaaaaaaaay better.  Now I'm getting a 10 - 13 degree delta between edge temp and hot spot with a max hot spot temp of 84C. 

Don't know what was happening specifically with the Taichi card, but for a similar size cooler the Nitro is performing much closer to what my expectations were.  Keep in mind, I did disassemble the Taichi and repaste, still ending up with a 30 degree delta....

I have the Nitro version of the 7900xtx as well, and my Hotspot Temps never went above the mid 80s even during a powervirus workload like Furmark. I assume Sapphire just gets better contact with the entirety of the GPU die compared to the Asrock models, though we'd need to see testing to know for sure.

3 hours ago, CLG Rampage said:

I have the Nitro version of the 7900xtx as well, and my Hotspot Temps never went above the mid 80s even during a powervirus workload like Furmark. I assume Sapphire just gets better contact with the entirety of the GPU die compared to the Asrock models, though we'd need to see testing to know for sure.

100 C hotspot temps seems way too high to me.   I've noticed the Asrock gpus get a lot of complaints/reports of high temps.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2023 at 8:05 PM, Leek Soup said:

Interested in this PTM7950 since my Strix 3080 has some serious pump out issues. It seems to be difficult to find a reputable seller. Can you send a link to the website you used to buy it?

For anyone reading in the future:

I ended up buying it from here. It arrived to Ireland in 34 days. Seems to be working well on my Strix 3080. Did a 450W OC torture test, and it leveled out at 78 degrees average and 95 hotspot. Time will tell if it sorts the pump out issue.