Upgrade from i7 10700f to i9 10900k worth it?

I have a pc that started as a prebuilt which I have done some upgrading to. It came with an i7 10700f, which I am still rocking. I bought a 3060 ti to replace the original gpu (yes, I replaced the psu to make sure it's high quality), and Amazon sent me a 4070 by mistake. So, now I have a 4070 with my i7 10700f. This isn't necessarily a terrible pair, but I think there is some performance left on the table. In demanding games - namely Jedi: Survivor - I notice when I enter new areas or when I'm in a large open area, there is some stuttering. My frames sit around 75-80 on average on high-ultra settings, but the stuttering is a little annoying. I'm not an expert, but I have a feeling this is a cpu issue. Can someone smarter than me tell me if that is accurate, or if there is something else that might cause that?

If it's a cpu underperformance issue, then my idea is to upgrade from the 10700f to an i9 10900k. This is the best cpu that my motherboard is compatible with. Is it worth the upgrade for a bit better performance and perhaps some extra future-proofing? I would like for my pc to last as long as the 4070 is viable, and the main issue I see with that besides being stuck with ddr4 ram is that my cpu might not age well. I know the 10900k is an older chip as well, so ideally if I really want a future-proof machine I wouldn't buy a 3 or 4 generation old cpu. I don't really want to change the motherboard, though. Is there enough performance increase between those two cpus to warrant the change, and is the 10900k good enough to get by for 4-5 more years? If the answer is maybe, at what price (usd) would you say that maybe becomes a yes? I have a feeling people will say this simply isn't worth it, and that's fine. I'm just not knowledgeable enough to make that decision entirely by myself.

Thanks!

Same IPC. 2 extra cores don't add anything. The gain is 10% at best because of the higher clockspeed of the 10900K. if you want a significant performance boost you have to switch to 13th gen Intel or Ryzen 7xxx.

What's the brand and model of your motherboard and RAM?

9 minutes ago, Norri_Rad said:

If it's a cpu underperformance issue, then my idea is to upgrade from the 10700f to an i9 10900k. This is the best cpu that my motherboard is compatible with. Is it worth the upgrade for a bit better performance and perhaps some extra future-proofing?

There's no future proofing left to go from a 10700F to 10900K...and forget about Rocket Lake for 11th gen that would be compatible with the motherboard. What resolution are you playing on with the RTX 4070??? 1080 resolution?

Best to upgrade the platform in general. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

2 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

There's no future proofing left to go from a 10700F to 10900K...and forget about Rocket Lake for 11th gen that would be compatible with the motherboard. What resolution are you playing on with the RTX 4070??? 1080 resolution?

Best to upgrade the platform in general. 

Yeah I play 1080p rn. I'd like to go 1440p since I stumbled into a 4070 but I wasn't really planning on buying a new gpu and a monitor so I haven't convinced myself to do it yet.

I figured the answer would be that it's not worth it, but it's good to know for sure.

unless it was free i wouldn't waste the time to switch

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 minute ago, Norri_Rad said:

Yeah I play 1080p rn. I'd like to go 1440p since I stumbled into a 4070 but I wasn't really planning on buying a new gpu and a monitor so I haven't convinced myself to do it yet.

I figured the answer would be that it's not worth it, but it's good to know for sure.

I'd suggest getting a B550 motherboard and 5800X3D if budget is a concern. If you really wanted to future proof and be able to upgrade the CPU later on for higher IPC improvements generation to generation, then a B650 motherboard and 7800X3D would be best. 

Yeah even as @--SID-- said, the IPC will be the same and extra 2 cores isn't gonna matter. Rocket Lake was hot trash and I would not recommend purchasing any 11th gen CPU. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

21 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

Same IPC. 2 extra cores don't add anything. The gain is 10% at best because of the higher clockspeed of the 10900K. if you want a significant performance boost you have to switch to 13th gen Intel or Ryzen 7xxx.

What's the brand and model of your motherboard and RAM?

Motherboard is a Gigabyte b450m ds3h and ram is currently Zotac but I just ordered 32 gigs of Lexar Ares.

9 hours ago, Norri_Rad said:

Motherboard is a Gigabyte b450m ds3h

That's a board with AM4 socket for AMD CPUs.

On 10/14/2023 at 1:57 AM, --SID-- said:

That's a board with AM4 socket for AMD CPUs.

It supports intel 10th gen

2 hours ago, Norri_Rad said:

It supports intel 10th gen

It does not. B450 is AMD. B460 is Intel. Maybe you have B460, I don't know since you only mentioned B450M DS3H and you didn't check what you really have.

https://www.gigabyte.com/nl/Motherboard/B450M-DS3H-rev-1x#kf

https://www.gigabyte.com/nl/Motherboard/B460M-DS3H-rev-10#kf

But the VRM of the b460M DS3H really sucks for an i9.