New CPU windows reinstallation

iGPR3
Go to solution Solved by Tetras,
2 hours ago, iGPR3 said:

Would it even be worth going through the process of reinstalling it then, or would it not impact performance without a reinstall?

HUB did a test on this here:

But, honestly, it wouldn't worry me, probably shakes out in the wash, especially if you do an upgrade or a large feature update.

2 hours ago, iGPR3 said:

Bought the computer prebuilt so It’d be an OEM key. Would it even be worth going through the process of reinstalling it then, or would it not impact performance without a reinstall?

I think OEM keys are stored in the BIOS itself with a prebuild?

Hi there. Recently purchased a r5 7600 from my i5-10400, and wanted to know how id go about reinstalling windows. I know that, since going from intel to AMD, I need to reinstall windows or I could possibly run into issues.

My question is: How would I go about a complete reinstallation, and would I need to buy a new product key for it?

Edited by iGPR3

You don't have to, Windows can cope with most changes.

15 minutes ago, iGPR3 said:

My question is: How would I go about a complete reinstallation

1. You can do a reset from within Windows.
  2. The MS website has a media creation tool, you can download that and either create an ISO (which can be burned, or mounted within Windows), or a bootable USB flash drive. These usually give you the option of: upgrading the OS (e.g. Windows 10 to 11), a fresh install (best done by booting from it), or an in-place install where you can choose to keep (or not) your apps and files.

Whatever you do, I'd create a backup of your important files before you shut down your PC.

15 minutes ago, iGPR3 said:

would I need to buy a new product key for it?

Is Windows registered to your MS account? What kind of computer is it? (i.e. custom or OEM?)

1 hour ago, Tetras said:

You don't have to, Windows can cope with most changes.

1. You can do a reset from within Windows.
  2. The MS website has a media creation tool, you can download that and either create an ISO (which can be burned, or mounted within Windows), or a bootable USB flash drive. These usually give you the option of: upgrading the OS (e.g. Windows 10 to 11), a fresh install (best done by booting from it), or an in-place install where you can choose to keep (or not) your apps and files.

Whatever you do, I'd create a backup of your important files before you shut down your PC.

Is Windows registered to your MS account? What kind of computer is it? (i.e. custom or OEM?)

Bought the computer prebuilt so It’d be an OEM key. Would it even be worth going through the process of reinstalling it then, or would it not impact performance without a reinstall?

2 hours ago, iGPR3 said:

Would it even be worth going through the process of reinstalling it then, or would it not impact performance without a reinstall?

But, honestly, it wouldn't worry me, probably shakes out in the wash, especially if you do an upgrade or a large feature update.

2 hours ago, iGPR3 said:

You'll have to reactivate windows with a new key if you used an OEM one, even if you registered it to a microsoft account

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

13 hours ago, Tetras said:

Thanks then. I’ll probably just stick with my current installation and just swap it in and see what happens. I’ll back my data up first but hopefully windows will iron out any issues with updates. Cheers!