Steam Deck or Asus ROG Ally

gaborsk

Hi everyone

I figured I'd ask you, as you are all tech savvy and might have some experience with the two devices.

The thing is this: I am from Switzerland, and Valve in their infinite wisdom do not sell Steam Decks here. So I would have to buy it from a reseller that sells it at a much higher price than justified.

The ROG Ally is freely available. But: The price difference ist 0. So I could either get a Steam Deck 256GB at 100$ cheaper (although it's not dollar but swiss francs, but it's basically 1 to1) or a 512GB one for 799.- The ROG Ally is also 799.-

I have most games on Steam. But I do have all the other launchers like GOG, Origin, Epic, Battle.net and uplay. And I also have some games on them.

I heard that the ROG Ally has a lot of software bugs, but I don't know if this is still the case. The Steam deck on the other hand is polished on the software side but a) less powerfull and b) almost 2 years old now with tech according to that time or even older.

What do you guys think? I will only have money to buy one, so posts like buy both are not helping 😉

3 minutes ago, gaborsk said:

Hi everyone

I figured I'd ask you, as you are all tech savvy and might have some experience with the two devices.

The thing is this: I am from Switzerland, and Valve in their infinite wisdom do not sell Steam Decks here. So I would have to buy it from a reseller that sells it at a much higher price than justified.

The ROG Ally is freely available. But: The price difference ist 0. So I could either get a Steam Deck 256GB at 100$ cheaper (although it's not dollar but swiss francs, but it's basically 1 to1) or a 512GB one for 799.- The ROG Ally is also 799.-

I have most games on Steam. But I do have all the other launchers like GOG, Origin, Epic, Battle.net and uplay. And I also have some games on them.

I heard that the ROG Ally has a lot of software bugs, but I don't know if this is still the case. The Steam deck on the other hand is polished on the software side but a) less powerfull and b) almost 2 years old now with tech according to that time or even older.

What do you guys think? I will only have money to buy one, so posts like buy both are not helping 😉

The ROG ally is technically better but its batter life is worse on lower power profile modes. It's your decision. if you're gonna be more away from the wall and travelling a lot more then I'd say get the Steam deck. If this is mostly for home then get the ROG ally or even a gaming laptop (though it probably will be quite a bit heavier)

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

As someone who has neither, Steam deck is far more appealing to me. Over and over and over again better software wins me over always in the end even when the hardware might be better for the alternative. I do believe Steam deck with be cradled and kept relative by Steam far longer than ASUS. ASUS is a hardware company so they have to make money by making new models after one another. Valve can keep the same model around for far longer due to not having to solely rely on singular hardware sales.

I'd only consider the top tier Steam Deck with the best screen and so on.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

This depends on what you want, a streamlined experience with software options, or a faster device with more bugs, annoyances, but the potential to connect a faster GPU. The Steamdeck is really appealing because how refines it is esp. in software. Valve tailored Steam OS for the Steam deck, it fits like hand in glove, it's incredibly smooth and easy to operate. Asus shoehorned Windows in, this means that you need to use an on screen keyboard all the time and use the touch screen or the joysticks to access the different features, on the flip side this means that all the drivers for Windows are there and relatively well polished and that you have a windows license if were going to buy one.

To sum it up reasons not to buy the ROG Ally; it eats SD cards for breakfast, two of the buttons stick, it runs windows, and the battery life isn't quite as good. Reasons to buy the ROG ally; It's faster, it runs Windows, it can attach a GPU (through a proprietary connector, you can upgrade the SSD without removing the heatsink, ANND THAT RGB GOODNESS.

Reasons not to buy the Steamdeck; It's slower. it's harder to upgrade the SSD and you need to consider the fact it's on top of the wifi card so bitflips may be a concern, Windows drivers are shaky and it does not come with a license, It has a single fan and depending on the factory it came from that fan may be rather noisy under load. 

Reasons to buy the Steamdeck; the software is refined and feels like it was made for the device like the Switch software for the Switch, it doesn't cook SD cards, you can buy hall effect joysticks for it, Valve will support it for a LONG time to push off the dilemma of counting to three as long as physically possible, games are optimized for it, longer battery life, and the repair guides are on Ifixit with the official parts supplied through Ifixit.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

2 hours ago, gaborsk said:

What do you guys think?

Sorry to throw in a grenade but have you considered a Switch?

I consider myself a pretty serious gamer and had the handheld quandary about a year ago when things were a little less vibrant with the Steam Deck the only 'higher end' contender but after careful consideration I decided to go with the Switch and while its nowhere near the SD or Ally in terms of performance, it has opened up a whole new ecosystem with regards to games.

Zelda, Picman, Metroid... to name just a few.

If the handheld unit is going to be your ONLY platform for gaming then maybe the switch wouldn't be the best option but for something a bit different is actually very good.

My Switch is reserved for the 2 weeks by the beach or a quick blast in bed after a hard day of Horizon Zero Dawn and I love it.

Game prices are big negative though. Nintendo tax is pretty high!

Bedroom PC - Lian-Li O11 XL Evo - Intel Core i5 13600k @ 5.4P / 4.4EGhz -  MSI Pro-A Wifi Z790 Mobo DDR5 - 32GB Ram - Gigabyte RTX 4090 - 1TB Samsung 990Pro NVMe - Corsair HX1200i PSU - Dual Custom Loop Cooling - GPU cooled with EK Quantum Surface S240 + EK Quantum Surface P360M X-Flow Rads - CPU cooled with EK Quantum Surface X360M Rad

Living Room PC - Hyte Y60 - Intel Core i9 9900k @ 5Ghz -  MSI Meg Ace Z390 Mobo - 16GB Ram - Palit RTX 3080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - Corsair AX850 PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with Hyte Y60 Corner Distro Plate - EK Coolstream S120 + EK Quantum Surface S360 + EK Quantum Surface X240M

Extension PC - Lian Li o11 Dynamic - Intel Core i7 8086k @ 5.1Ghz -  Gbyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA RTX 2080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - EVGA B5 850W PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with dual EKWB 360 Rads + G1 side EKWB distro plate.

Office - Thermaltake Tower 100 - Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.1Ghz - Gbyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 1080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - EVGA B5 850W PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with dual EK Quantum Surface P120M Rads + Barrow 3-in-1 Block, Res & Pump.

Annex - Corsair 250D - Intel Core i7 3770k - Asus P8Z77 I Delux Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 980ti - 256GB Corsair SSD - BeQuiet P11 750 PSU - CPU cooled with EK Coolstream S240 + S120 Rads + EK Pump / Res Combo

Office - Corsair 280X - Intel Core i7 4790k - Asrock H97M ITX Mobo  - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 980 - Corsair SFXL600 PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with triple EK Coolstream S240s + EK Pump / Res Combo

NAS PC - Fractal Node 804 - Intel Core i7 3770k - Asus P8Z77-M Mobo - 16GB Ram - MSI GTX 1660 Ventus - Corsair AX850 PSU - Unraid 15TB Storage Server

Living Room AV Setup 5.1.4 - Yamaha RX-A2060 - 2 x B&W CM9s2 - 2 x Monitor Audio FX Silvers - 4 x B&W CCM665s - B&W CMCs2 - SVS SB13 Ultra - LG OLED65C1

Extension AV Setup - Sonos ARC + Sub (Gen 3) - LG OLED65C6V + Yamaha RX-A1070 - 5 x Monitor Audio C265s (2 Zones)

Bedroom AV Setup - Yamaha WXC-50 - 2 x B&W CM1s - Rel Quake - LG OLED42C2.

2 hours ago, gaborsk said:

I have a Steam Deck. Its a pretty polished experience. Even if the game is "Not Supported" you can check Protondb.com and there could be tweeks to get it working. Im pretty sure I got Diablo 4 installed so other game launchers can work, but you might have to use work arounds. I like the fact that is loads up to a Big Picture mode type interface for game selection and you have an option to use the desk top if you want. I got the 256 Gig model with a 513 Gig SD card. From what I read the SD cards are hot swapable. So you dont have to buy the biggest card and Steam will automatically find the games installed when a new card is inserted. The carrying case is pretty nice and a nice inclusion for the price.

The only real negatives. The touchpads take time to get use to. My friend is pretty quick at it, but Im not. The deck is a hefty boy and I find that during long gaming sessions my hands can go numb. I probably got carpal tunnel. Other than that its a pretty versatile device. Pretty much anything a PC can do it can do. The only other thing is its Linux so it could have a learning curve. For the record I have a Plex server running Linux and have used Linux many times so I have a bit of Knowledge. My friend works in IT and Linux is all he pretty much does so I have someone to lean on for help.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

52 minutes ago, ChrisLoudon said:

Sorry to throw in a grenade but have you considered a Switch?

I consider myself a pretty serious gamer and had the handheld quandary about a year ago when things were a little less vibrant with the Steam Deck the only 'higher end' contender but after careful consideration I decided to go with the Switch and while its nowhere near the SD or Ally in terms of performance, it has opened up a whole new ecosystem with regards to games.

Zelda, Picman, Metroid... to name just a few.

If the handheld unit is going to be your ONLY platform for gaming then maybe the switch wouldn't be the best option but for something a bit different is actually very good.

My Switch is reserved for the 2 weeks by the beach or a quick blast in bed after a hard day of Horizon Zero Dawn and I love it.

Game prices are big negative though. Nintendo tax is pretty high!

I do have a Switch already. But besides Zelda and Mario there's not much that gets me interested.
I also have a PS5 though.
I am just looking for a Handheld PC since there are the games that I play the most.
Thank you all for your replies!

On 10/13/2023 at 6:28 AM, gaborsk said:

I do have a Switch already. But besides Zelda and Mario there's not much that gets me interested.
I am just looking for a Handheld PC since there are the games that I play the most.

With that considered, do you have game pass? Because if you want to get into that, then I would lean towards teh ROG since i believe that is mostly around gamepass (might be wrong, please research thisyourself)

On 10/14/2023 at 11:12 AM, BrandonLatzig said:

With that considered, do you have game pass? Because if you want to get into that, then I would lean towards teh ROG since i believe that is mostly around gamepass (might be wrong, please research thisyourself)

if you gonna do game pass, the Logitech cloud G is good for cloud gaming game pass as well as gforce now, but for WIFI reasons you'd only really want that when your in like a Starbucks with wifi

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/13/2023 at 6:28 PM, gaborsk said:

Yeah Nintendo has got some exclusives that can only be played on their platform, nowhere else. This is unlike the situation on the PlayStation, where most games there also release on the PC and fewer but still a lot release also on the Xbox and Switch. So you can play like Final Fantasy on the PlayStation and Switch but you can't play Mario on both, only on the Switch.

On 10/13/2023 at 6:13 PM, Donut417 said:

I have a Steam Deck. Its a pretty polished experience. Even if the game is "Not Supported" you can check Protondb.com and there could be tweeks to get it working. Im pretty sure I got Diablo 4 installed so other game launchers can work, but you might have to use work arounds. I like the fact that is loads up to a Big Picture mode type interface for game selection and you have an option to use the desk top if you want. I got the 256 Gig model with a 513 Gig SD card. From what I read the SD cards are hot swapable. So you dont have to buy the biggest card and Steam will automatically find the games installed when a new card is inserted. The carrying case is pretty nice and a nice inclusion for the price.

The only real negatives. The touchpads take time to get use to. My friend is pretty quick at it, but Im not. The deck is a hefty boy and I find that during long gaming sessions my hands can go numb. I probably got carpal tunnel. Other than that its a pretty versatile device. Pretty much anything a PC can do it can do. The only other thing is its Linux so it could have a learning curve. For the record I have a Plex server running Linux and have used Linux many times so I have a bit of Knowledge. My friend works in IT and Linux is all he pretty much does so I have someone to lean on for help.

Yeah man most PC games are made for Windows not Linux, and I hear Proton is an imperfect solution. Correct me if I'm wrong, but some developers still have not implemented anti-cheats that work on Linux, meaning those games will just refuse to run on that OS. Sure there some native Linux games, but those are few and far between.

2 hours ago, Firepower said:

Yeah man most PC games are made for Windows not Linux, and I hear Proton is an imperfect solution. Correct me if I'm wrong, but some developers still have not implemented anti-cheats that work on Linux, meaning those games will just refuse to run on that OS. Sure there some native Linux games, but those are few and far between.

Most of the games that have anti cheat I don’t play. 

As for a perfect solution it doesn’t exist for handhelds. Because Windows isn’t really designed well to be used with touch and controllers and Linux has its own issues. But I’d rather be using Steam OS over Windows just due to it working well in that form factor. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.