Cracked Copper Surface On AIO Water Cooler Corsair H100i RGB Platium SE

BetterCallSaul00
Go to solution Solved by freeagent,
2 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul00 said:

Will it be applicable for 2.5 years after purchase?

It looks like a manufacturing defect to me, during assembly for the scratches, and if that is a crack, then during the machining process for that component.

I've just recently moved countries, and for that reason I had to take down my PC.

During the process, I had noticed some cracks on the copper surface. [Corsair H100i RGB Platium SE]
These cracks seem to appear around here and there, and I know its normal and sometimes harmless.

However, I have never seen cracks this extensive around the screws.

Should I be concerned about the performance and safety of my cooler, or is it safe to continue using it?

Any suggestions on how to address this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Pictures bellow,

20231005_190054.thumb.jpg.b17e023758296a87c7e1ee540ab6fc88.jpg

20231005_190036.jpg

20231005_190141.jpg

20231005_190122.jpg

20231005_190125.jpg

20231005_190044.jpg

Thanks.

Its cracked, RMA it.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN8501TB, SN850X2TB
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14, TL-D14X

Sorry, but from looking at the pictures real close the marks appear to be scratches.  And it looks like it was scratched by someone using an electric screwdriver when installing the screws.  Sometimes when using an electric screwdriver and the driver is running too fast it can get away from the user.

Don't really think it will cause any problems as long as the user applies the thermal paste or pads in the correct manner.  You don't want to put the paste on too heavy because then it will instead act as an insulator and prevent the proper transfer of heat.

Take care and good luck.

Those look like scratches, not cracks. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

On my tv I see a crack and scratches, I could probably use some glasses.

Edit:

A crack does not have to be all the way through the material for it to be a crack.. maybe my tv is playing tricks on me.

11 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Edit:

A crack does not have to be all the way through the material for it to be a crack.. maybe my tv is playing tricks on me.

I only see one that looks like a crack, but it also looks like a screwdriver slip as it doesn't appear to be too deep. But impossible to say for certain. Regardless, whoever had that block need to learn how to use a gentle touch, not ape paws.

52 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

Sorry, but from looking at the pictures real close the marks appear to be scratches.  And it looks like it was scratched by someone using an electric screwdriver when installing the screws.  Sometimes when using an electric screwdriver and the driver is running too fast it can get away from the user.

Don't really think it will cause any problems as long as the user applies the thermal paste or pads in the correct manner.  You don't want to put the paste on too heavy because then it will instead act as an insulator and prevent the proper transfer of heat.

Take care and good luck.

Hi,
Thanks for the reply, I believe it must be someone in factory tightening up the screw way too hard.
Because of this, the contact point between the copper plate and the screw might have taken a toll on due to thermal expansion.

Thus the crack.
Let me know if this is probable.

15 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Edit:

This is why this is pretty worrisome. Might not be a crack, or a crack just about to happen.

3 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

I only see one that looks like a crack, but it also looks like a screwdriver slip as it doesn't appear to be too deep. But impossible to say for certain. Regardless, whoever had that block need to learn how to use a gentle touch, not ape paws.

That is exactly what I see. That is enough for me to return it 🙂

3 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul00 said:

Hi,
Thanks for the reply, I believe it must be someone in factory tightening up the screw way too hard.
Because of this, the contact point between the copper plate and the screw might have taken a toll on due to thermal expansion.

Thus the crack.
Let me know if this is probable.

Did you buy this thing new or used? Because there is NO way that it left the factory with that many scratches on the base plate. And they generally use power screwdrivers with proper torque settings so that they can't over tighten it.

13 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Did you buy this thing new or used? Because there is NO way that it left the factory with that many scratches on the base plate. And they generally use power screwdrivers with proper torque settings so that they can't over tighten it.

I bought it new, had it for about 2.5 years. I installed it myself never touched it until now.
I never use electric screw drivers before. I never touched or tried to open up the inside of the pump module.

Edit:

I'm completely sure this is due to usage. Because when I bought it it was fine with no noticeable damage.

22 minutes ago, freeagent said:

That is exactly what I see. That is enough for me to return it 🙂

2 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul00 said:

It looks like a manufacturing defect to me, during assembly for the scratches, and if that is a crack, then during the machining process for that component.

2 minutes ago, freeagent said:

That's what makes the most sense to me.
Thanks

7 minutes ago, freeagent said:

I mean look at these lines, They are too perfect to be manmade 😂. They look like sinewaves.

image.png.2e0a205a0d1590775b5328c9b5679466.png

9 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul00 said:

They look like sinewaves.

To me it looks like the electric screwdriver got out of control 😄

Manual is the bestestest 🙂

On 10/5/2023 at 7:19 PM, BetterCallSaul00 said:

I've just recently moved countries, and for that reason I had to take down my PC.

During the process, I had noticed some cracks on the copper surface. [Corsair H100i RGB Platium SE]
These cracks seem to appear around here and there, and I know its normal and sometimes harmless.

However, I have never seen cracks this extensive around the screws.

Should I be concerned about the performance and safety of my cooler, or is it safe to continue using it?

Any suggestions on how to address this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Pictures bellow,

20231005_190054.thumb.jpg.b17e023758296a87c7e1ee540ab6fc88.jpg

20231005_190036.jpg

20231005_190141.jpg

20231005_190122.jpg

20231005_190125.jpg

20231005_190044.jpg

Thanks.

Looking very closely at the first image, although it looks like a Crack, it most definitely is gouged.

The 3rd photo shows an electric screwdriver "walked" across the surface.

The 4th and 5th images clearly show a gouge. 

If they weren't there when you received it, and you didn't do it, then someone in your home did. There is no other explanation... unless the CIA/NSA did it. 😉

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/9/2023 at 8:34 AM, RevGAM said:

Looking very closely at the first image, although it looks like a Crack, it most definitely is gouged.

The 3rd photo shows an electric screwdriver "walked" across the surface.

The 4th and 5th images clearly show a gouge. 

If they weren't there when you received it, and you didn't do it, then someone in your home did. There is no other explanation... unless the CIA/NSA did it. 😉

I'm pretty sure it was there before, I just hadn't realised it, I do not own an electric screwdriver.
Also why would I put a screw driver close this part of the cooler?

I have RMAed it now.

The new guy put your AIO together. Must have been a young guy because older guys typically know how to use tools.

2 hours ago, BetterCallSaul00 said:

Also why would I put a screw driver close this part of the cooler?

To perform cleaning of the microfins, which sometimes get blocked with biofilm. Or was that a rhetorical question?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

17 minutes ago, freeagent said:

The new guy put your AIO together. Must have been a young guy because older guys typically know how to use tools.

What's a tool? 😆  wait, who are you calling a tool??