Google's "Trust Me Bro" Guarantee is Tempting - Made By Google 2023

AdamFromLTT

Made By Google 2023 holds a lot of surprises that totally didn't leak out in advance. The new Pixel 8 Pro, Pixel 8 and Pixel Watch are all pretty exciting. But can after killing so many products, like Google Podcasts and Jamboard, can Google really be trusted to follow through on their seven year promise?

https://youtu.be/oKTmhPEWsMo

Well i guess most of the features the are "pixel exclusive" will eventually come to other devices with customs. Can't wait for the new release of Pixelify

Good video, very well spoken!

If Google wants to play ball with Apple, which the new price tag suggests, then they need to be reliable.

RE: The Google Problem

[FYI ICYMI] the "problem" of products being announced and more or less discontinued sooner or later (except it becomes a data kraken, like gmail. or it can be merged into a monetisable data kraken, Google Podcasts into YouTube Music) has to some extent to do with

• (1) how most career advancements ($$$ band raise) within the Google corporate structure works, and
  • (2) how easy it is to start a new project/product pilot internally, ideally on your 20% allotted company time, and with someone else or more people.

tl;dr If you want to advance (fast-track) your career and salary prospects within Google, become product/dev/engineer/marketing lead on a new (and hopefully successful) product. Be it a new internal product, or a new consumer product, or a new developer product e.g. within Google Cloud Offering.

Sources, HN1, HN2, HN3.

Further reasons, as cited by Matt Rickard:

• does it defend Google Search monopoly?
  • does it or will it make money similar to our Search monopoly? If not, cancel it eventually.

There is only a limited amount of Search monopoly money going around to fund new seeds and subsidise things like Google Podcast, and only a limited amount of attention/time/employees to go around. Eventually, shareholders will get angry if the dividends and share buybacks don't come on a regular basis (Google is no longer a growth company). Who want to be the CXX to be associated having drained and damaged irresponsibly a money printing machine and made it vulnerable to attacks (see AI Start-ups) by having subsidised too many 'unviable' consumer products for too long?

PS/Edit: 

The top two priorities for me in a smartphone, are the long term software support, and performance (the phone needs to be fast enough that even years down the road, it’s not getting in the way, which is why I’m not looking at Fairphone). 

Google has at least one of the two going for them, though I’d like for them to have an SoC that matches Apple’s at minimum. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

12 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

The top two priorities for me in a smartphone, are the long term software support,

How long?

How long do you keep using smartphones for?  

24 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

How long?

Wildly depends on the person.

I personally keep my phones for as long as they can function. When they become so slow that they are near unusable thats when I swap.

With modern phones you could easily use them for 8 or more years if you take care of them and service them if needed.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

20 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

Wildly depends on the person.

I personally keep my phones for as long as they can function. When they become so slow that they are near unusable thats when I swap.

With modern phones you could easily use them for 8 or more years if you take care of them and service them if needed.

Just considering damaged/broken/lost phones will be a large part, then you have phones that are become obsolete.

Phones still aren't very repairable, and certain parts will fail.  

Old hardware tends to have more security vulnerabilities discovered as well.

It's hard to say in 8 years what the state of mobile phone software and support will actually be.

After 5 years my guess is that less than 10% of devices are still in use or useful.

It's a good and interesting idea, but I think there is a minimal application for this.

I don't think the CPU performance is a huge issue. The phone feels fast, I'm not waiting for stuff. I guess maybe if you are a hardcore phone gamer...

2 hours ago, ToboRobot said:

How long?

On my iPhone 11, I’m at about 4 years. Performance is solid, and the phone itself is in excellent condition. Only thing really needed soon is the battery. No plans to upgrade. 

My eyes see the past…

2 hours ago, ToboRobot said:

Just considering damaged/broken/lost phones will be a large part, then you have phones that are become obsolete.

Phones still aren't very repairable, and certain parts will fail.  

Old hardware tends to have more security vulnerabilities discovered as well.

It's hard to say in 8 years what the state of mobile phone software and support will actually be.

After 5 years my guess is that less than 10% of devices are still in use or useful.

It's a good and interesting idea, but I think there is a minimal application for this.

I'd disagree that after 5 years they become less useful because for what people usually use phones for nowadays, and how little the hardware actually improves, modern phones tend to hold pretty well.

Of course it all depends on what it's used for and how well the person takes care of them.

I personally never had any issues with old phones (6+ years) other than battery degradation and possibly loosened charging port. Both are super easy fixes.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

Won't reneging on software update promises open them up to class action lawsuits?

7 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

On my iPhone 11, I’m at about 4 years. Performance is solid, and the phone itself is in excellent condition. Only thing really needed soon is the battery. No plans to upgrade. 

4 year old budget or mid tier phones don't tend to hold up as well as high end models.  

And as someone that takes care of their phone and only needs a new battery after 4 years, perhaps your usage isn't as typical as many people often drop their phones or damage it within a few years.

6 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

4 year old budget or mid tier phones don't tend to hold up as well as high end models.  

And as someone that takes care of their phone and only needs a new battery after 4 years, perhaps your usage isn't as typical as many people often drop their phones or damage it within a few years.

To add a bit to the absurdity, I'm also still using the original Lightning cable that came with my phone. I don't personally know anyone that has made a cable last half as long.

Yeah, I do my best to treat my belongings with respect.

My eyes see the past…