Lightning strike took out my PC - Need help planning replacement build

JMak00

Budget: $3000 - $3500 (to include buying 3x 34" 3440x1440 displays)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming; Work from home using Office products; web browsing. Gaming is limited to World of Tanks now, but interested in Starfield and my sons will use it for Forza, Apex, Fortnite.

Other details: I will have 3x 34" 3440x1440 displays that will be 144Hz and would like to game at 120.  Dont need Office, Win 11, or other peripherals.

Ive been an Intel and EVGA fanboy having built several PCs using their CPUs and GPUs (rocking a 4690k and 2070 Super in this backup rig), though back in the day rocked an amazing XFX RX580. Im open to the AMD platform and XFX or Sapphire GPUs. TBH, the current crop of 40-series cards, except nVidia, look like poo to me and the pricing is yuck.

I do have a thing for RGB and will be rounding out a Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh case with Lian Li's SL120/140 Unifans.  

Really liked the Arctic 360 AIO that I had in my last rig, but Im open to ideas.

Heres the build that got rekt - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pswWXk

Appreciate advice, suggestions, tips on 13700k vs 7800x3d; 7900xt vs 7900xtx; Z690 vs Z790; B650 vs X670...

11 minutes ago, JMak00 said:

$3000 - $3500

That is a generous budget

Sorry to hear the lightning strike though. You might need to consider buying APC UPS for your next PC built

25 minutes ago, JMak00 said:

Lian Li Lancool 2

Do you refers to Lancool 216? That is a really cool and flexible PC case

27 minutes ago, JMak00 said:

Im open to the AMD platform and XFX or Sapphire GPUs. TBH, the current crop of 40-series cards, except nVidia, look like poo to me and the pricing is yuck.

The good news, AMD Ryzen 7000 series CPU is a really good performance and doesn't need to have super overclocked like Intel counterpart, i.e. 13900K

(Technically Intel 13900K outperforms the best of AMD, but at the cost of 300W, so . . . if electricity is no concern or practically free, I would say go for Intel highest platform)

Since you have knicks for RGB, I make the built list mostly in white and RGB, but your feedback is appreciated

Total cost are USD 3475.93

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($389.00 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($132.00 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX X670E-A GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard  ($374.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Crucial T700 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 5.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($479.99 @ Adorama) 
Storage: Crucial T700 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 5.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($479.99 @ Adorama) 
Video Card: ASRock Taichi OC Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB Video Card  ($1119.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 216 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME TX-1000 1000 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($299.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $3475.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-09-26 02:48 EDT-0400

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

And Laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45 for mobility

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

17 minutes ago, ImWilly said:

You might need to consider buying APC UPS for your next PC built

Unfortunately, UPSs aren't gonna do much in the event of a lightning strike. The most they could do in that case is surge supression, something a surge suppressor power strip will do just as well. 

I'd also personally steer clear of APC, at least the consumer stuff. I've seen reports of them using aluminium wire instead of copper in the transformers and not even crimping the wires to terminals, instead trying (and failing) to solder to the aluminium wire which doesn't work. I took apart one a friend gave me and sure enough it has aluminium windings with no proper connection to the wire.

As for the old machine, @JMak00 is there anything working still? What troubleshooting has been done on it? You may be able to reuse parts from the old build, such as the case at the very least. You could probably also sell the old machine on the classifieds here as a "for parts" machine.

9 minutes ago, ImWilly said:

That is a generous budget

Sorry to hear the lightning strike though. You might need to consider buying APC UPS for your next PC built

Do you refers to Lancool 216? That is a really cool and flexible PC case

The good news, AMD Ryzen 7000 series CPU is a really good performance and doesn't need to have super overclocked like Intel counterpart, i.e. 13900K

(Technically Intel 13900K outperforms the best of AMD, but at the cost of 300W, so . . . if electricity is no concern or practically free, I would say go for Intel highest platform)

Since you have knicks for RGB, I make the built list mostly in white and RGB, but your feedback is appreciated

Total cost are USD 3475.93

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($132.00 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX X670E-A GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard  ($374.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: ASRock Taichi OC Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB Video Card  ($1119.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 216 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME TX-1000 1000 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($299.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $3475.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-09-26 02:48 EDT-0400

Oh, my bad, I meant the Lancool 2 Mesh, not the Lancool 216.

And, I should have been more clear, part of the budget involves getting those displays, Ill update the original post.

Ironically, I was just looking at that same mobo. Its an eye-grabber.

I like that list, though. Revising my budget down, Id just swap ut those SSDs for Crucial P5 2TB drives and maybe save some money on a Seasonic Platinum PSU.

I was going at the replacement this way at first - 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/36Kt89 using a 13700k approach, but then went AMD this way - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rWynL9

5 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Unfortunately, UPSs aren't gonna do much in the event of a lightning strike. The most they could do in that case is surge supression, something a surge suppressor power strip will do just as well. 

I'd also personally steer clear of APC, at least the consumer stuff. I've seen reports of them using aluminium wire instead of copper in the transformers and not even crimping the wires to terminals, instead trying (and failing) to solder to the aluminium wire which doesn't work. I took apart one a friend gave me and sure enough it has aluminium windings with no proper connection to the wire.

As for the old machine, @JMak00 is there anything working still? What troubleshooting has been done on it? You may be able to reuse parts from the old build, such as the case at the very least. You could probably also sell the old machine on the classifieds here as a "for parts" machine.

Yeah, it appears that the lightning surge, in part, came into the house via a coax line and into the modem to the router to my PC. The ethernet port on the mobo i/o was burnt.  

Right after the lightning strike I attempted to power on the PC and while 2 of the 3 GPU fans spun up, nothing else in the case turned on, for example, the case fans didnt even start spinning. I purchased the same PSU, swapped it out and fired it up, but nothing turned on.  I quit after that.

Appreciate the suggestion on the for parts sale.

29 minutes ago, JMak00 said:

Oh, my bad, I meant the Lancool 2 Mesh, not the Lancool 216.

And, I should have been more clear, part of the budget involves getting those displays, Ill update the original post.

I like that list, though. Revising my budget down, Id just swap ut those SSDs for Crucial P5 2TB drives and maybe save some money on a Seasonic Platinum PSU.

I was going at the replacement this way at first - 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/36Kt89 using a 13700k approach, but then went AMD this way - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rWynL9

Just use something like Corsair RMX or RME, you'll save like $90 to $100 compared to the Seasonic TX.

And yea I agree with changing the SSD. I doubt your use case will ever utilize Gen 4 that much. Let alone Gen 5.

Not to mention Gen 4 is already quite smoldering hot under heavy usage, Gen 5 is even more. They usually need a good heatsink.

But yep, like I said, pretty sure your use case doesn't need Gen 5.

EVGA stopped making GPU (And IIRC there's a rumor they might exit Motherboard market too), so yep, I'd steer away from buying their GPU new at least.

And yes, consider adding surge protector just in case you're afraid the same shit happening again.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

28 minutes ago, JMak00 said:

Yeah, it appears that the lightning surge, in part, came into the house via a coax line and into the modem to the router to my PC. The ethernet port on the mobo i/o was burnt.  

Right after the lightning strike I attempted to power on the PC and while 2 of the 3 GPU fans spun up, nothing else in the case turned on, for example, the case fans didnt even start spinning. I purchased the same PSU, swapped it out and fired it up, but nothing turned on.  I quit after that.

Yeah that's real unfortunate, sorry to hear that 😕

The surge into the ethernet jack very likely took out the motherboard, how far it went after that is anyone's guess. GPU/storage may work still, or it could have trashed nearly everything in the machine. Depends on where it stopped and how sensitive each part is to transients.

Case fans (if connected to the motherboard) may not be getting powered up since the board's control to them is likely toast.

An ethernet surge supressor may help in the future, but unfortunately there's not much that can stop a direct lightning strike. If it can travel through the atmosphere, it's gonna travel through whatever electronics are in its way too. When I redid my house's telecom wiring, I installed a big chunky coaxial grounding block for my internet and my TV antenna as close to the grounded electrical supply as possible. If lightning hits the cable feeding it, it's pretty much game over, though it may not travel as far down the chain of electronics. But if it strikes nearby and induces transients, that grounding block plus a surge supressor may save what comes after. I've not lost anything to lightning yet, but unfortunately it's a real possibility that it'll happen sometime.

As for your PCPP links, both builds look pretty solid. I've got a 13600K and I've been impressed by it, I went with a last gen board to keep some of the costs down though as it was kinda an impulse purchase.

I'm only running a rather ancient gen 3 SSD though. Can't really feel the need for much faster.

44 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Unfortunately, UPSs aren't gonna do much in the event of a lightning strike. The most they could do in that case is surge supression, something a surge suppressor power strip will do just as well

Thanks for the sharing, I really appreciate it 👍

40 minutes ago, JMak00 said:

Assuming you're going for Intel built, I would suggest to stay on Arctic instead of AORUS, because it's cheaper and performs better, here's der8aurer's performance and price comparison as reference

Especially seeing the PSU is 1300W and z790 mobo, it means you're positively will overclock, which leads to need better CPU cooler (example of 360 variant, it's rare to find 240 variant, but the comparison should be still applicable)

image.thumb.png.2a649e68649eb627093d860eec10af59.png

but then went AMD this way - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rWynL9

Nice built

Here's suggestion for AMD built if you're going for cut some corner to meet max USD3500

7800X3D is not demanding CPU, and doesn't really need to be overclock other than factory offset 0.2GHz from AMD app, and even in gaming, a good enough Tower style air cooler is enough (at really max temp while gaming is 62C on my built with air cooler). But on my list below, I will try to keep it AIO

For mobo, you can go as low as B650 AORUS, because it has more copper layer for cooling, more USB slots and faster booting

And for PSU, if you're willing to cut some corner, Corsair is a compelling one and well-accepted PSU, even if it only has rating 80+ Gold

image.thumb.png.97344650825971008a57ebbc266ec72f.png

No prob, thanks for clearing that up

Here's my a bit suggestion, it's just USD207 reduction, could you also share which part of your last built that is salvageable?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($89.98 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX ATX AM5 Motherboard  ($209.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  ($109.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial P5 Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($97.99 @ Adorama) 
Storage: Crucial P5 Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($97.99 @ Adorama) 
Video Card: XFX Speedster MERC 310 Black Edition Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB Video Card  ($969.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case  ($164.75 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM1000x (2021) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($169.99 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: Gigabyte ‎M34WQ 34.0" 3440 x 1440 144 Hz Monitor  ($449.99 @ Best Buy) 
Total: $3649.64
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-09-26 03:51 EDT-0400

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

And Laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45 for mobility

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

with a $3000 budget and your usecase of working from home with office products, not getting a 4090 or any RTX40 with an intel 13th gen is kind of a waste. Your idle/light power consumption would be so much more with the comparable AMD CPU/GPU.

My 13900K could idle/light at under 10w. Right now it's at 4w as I'm typing this. The 4080 is at 12w. 8 hours of this per day with the Intel/Nvidia build would be at around 20w but with the AMD build you're looking at 100w and that's if all your extra screens arent making your XTX card pull 100w on its own. But it's your choice, do what you like.

1 hour ago, JMak00 said:

Well you know what they say lightning doesn't strike the same place twice so hopefully you don't have this issue in the future.

DLSS 3.0 > FSR

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *Intel Core i7-13700F 2.1 GHz 16-Core Processor  ($346.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: *Deepcool AG620 BK ARGB 67.88 CFM CPU Cooler  ($54.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: *MSI B760 GAMING PLUS WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($159.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: *G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  ($91.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: *Crucial P5 Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($97.99 @ Adorama) 
Video Card: *Gigabyte WINDFORCE V2 GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card  ($1639.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: *MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($174.99 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: *Gigabyte ‎M34WQ 34.0" 3440 x 1440 144 Hz Monitor  ($449.99 @ Best Buy) 
Monitor: *Gigabyte ‎M34WQ 34.0" 3440 x 1440 144 Hz Monitor  ($449.99 @ Best Buy) 
Total: $3466.91
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-09-26 04:34 EDT-0400

A better look at those components. 

https://www.msi.com/Power-Supply/MPG-A1000G-PCIE5

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B760-GAMING-PLUS-WIFI

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/230491/intel-core-i713700f-processor-30m-cache-up-to-5-20-ghz/specifications.html  

https://www.deepcool.com/products/Cooling/cpuaircoolers/AG620-BK-ARGB-Dual-Tower-CPU-Cooler-1700-AM5/2022/16082.shtml    

https://www.crucial.com/products/ssd/crucial-p5-plus-ssd  

https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N4090WF3V2-24GD#kf  

https://www.gigabyte.com/Monitor/M34WQ#kf 

average-fps_3840-2160.png

average-fps-3840-2160.png

2 hours ago, JMak00 said:

Sounds like board is fried but other parts are probably fine.

So with the new pc id see if all the other stuff fires up still so worst case you can recoup a fair chunk of money.

2 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Depends on how you look at it.

I have a Cyberpower UPS. It has phone and ethernet protection built in as well. While it didn't prevent a lightning strike from taking my system out the Cyberpower warranty replaced eveything. I'd call that protection.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

52 minutes ago, keskparane said:

Depends on how you look at it.

I have a Cyberpower UPS. It has phone and ethernet protection built in as well. While it didn't prevent a lightning strike from taking my system out the Cyberpower warranty replaced eveything. I'd call that protection.

Fair enough, though I've personally never had much luck with "we'll replace affected equipment if it breaks" deals. Just like car insurance they've always weaseled their way out of anything they can, glad to hear you've had positive experiences though.

As for the UPS itself, the ethernet surge supression certainly can be beneficial but a lot of people see UPSs solely as surge supressors, even though they're mainly intended to be a battery back-up (hence the name Uninturruptable Power Supply)

They just usually happen to also include surge suppression features.

A good surge suppressor strip will do the same job as a UPS in this case as long as battery backup isn't what you need it for, many surge supressor strips have ethernet and coaxial passthrus for this purpose too. They often also offer device protection warranties.

10 hours ago, Jon-Slow said:

with a $3000 budget and your usecase of working from home with office products, not getting a 4090 or any RTX40 with an intel 13th gen is kind of a waste. Your idle/light power consumption would be so much more with the comparable AMD CPU/GPU.

My 13900K could idle/light at under 10w. Right now it's at 4w as I'm typing this. The 4080 is at 12w. 8 hours of this per day with the Intel/Nvidia build would be at around 20w but with the AMD build you're looking at 100w and that's if all your extra screens arent making your XTX card pull 100w on its own. But it's your choice, do what you like.

You know, Ive thoguht about this exact thing.  Although, what I thought I had read is that the Intel 13th gen CPUs use more power than the AMD 7700 and 7800 CPUs and that there was a significant problem with the AMD GPUs guzzling power when using multiple monitors (especially if using monitors with different refresh rates).  However, it seems like power usage between the Intel 13th gen and Amd 7700/7800 was marginal, so I overlooked it as a consideration.  Also, I was advised by others (at pcpp) that the AMD issue with multiple monitors and power consumption had been resolved.

I am sensitive to wasting power and don't want to pay for it.  So, Im open to building a system that can idle relatively low.

My last setup included a 10700K and 3080 FTW3 pushing five monitors. When working, I usually have Cirtrix workspace spread across three monitors and then have two more monitors running Chrome watching a tv show, the news, or running Youtube or Twitch streams.

9 hours ago, Why_Me said:

DLSS 3.0 > FSR

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *Intel Core i7-13700F 2.1 GHz 16-Core Processor  ($346.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: *Deepcool AG620 BK ARGB 67.88 CFM CPU Cooler  ($54.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: *MSI B760 GAMING PLUS WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($159.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: *G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  ($91.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: *Crucial P5 Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($97.99 @ Adorama) 
Video Card: *Gigabyte WINDFORCE V2 GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card  ($1639.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: *MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($174.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $3466.91
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-09-26 04:34 EDT-0400

A better look at those components. 

https://www.msi.com/Power-Supply/MPG-A1000G-PCIE5

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B760-GAMING-PLUS-WIFI

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/230491/intel-core-i713700f-processor-30m-cache-up-to-5-20-ghz/specifications.html  

https://www.deepcool.com/products/Cooling/cpuaircoolers/AG620-BK-ARGB-Dual-Tower-CPU-Cooler-1700-AM5/2022/16082.shtml    

https://www.crucial.com/products/ssd/crucial-p5-plus-ssd  

https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N4090WF3V2-24GD#kf  

https://www.gigabyte.com/Monitor/M34WQ#kf 

average-fps_3840-2160.png

average-fps-3840-2160.png

Thank you!  I didnt think Id be getting into 4090 territory. With a few changes, because I have OCD when it comes asthetics, I think a 4090 could work.  For example, I am partial to Aorus boards and Seasonic PSUs. I really appreciate the time and thought put into this.

8 hours ago, jaslion said:

Sounds like board is fried but other parts are probably fine.

So with the new pc id see if all the other stuff fires up still so worst case you can recoup a fair chunk of money.

Im gonna find out as soon as I get new parts, specifically, the case fans, aio, storage. For giggles, I might just order a new mobo and connect everything as-is to see if it works.

14 minutes ago, JMak00 said:

Im gonna find out as soon as I get new parts, specifically, the case fans, aio, storage. For giggles, I might just order a new mobo and connect everything as-is to see if it works.

You'll know soon enough.

The psu id stay clear of reusing that tho 😛

7 hours ago, JMak00 said:

You know, Ive thoguht about this exact thing.  Although, what I thought I had read is that the Intel 13th gen CPUs use more power than the AMD 7700 and 7800 CPUs and that there was a significant problem with the AMD GPUs guzzling power when using multiple monitors (especially if using monitors with different refresh rates).  However, it seems like power usage between the Intel 13th gen and Amd 7700/7800 was marginal, so I overlooked it as a consideration.

Basically the 13th gen using more power than the ryzen 7000 series is a bad conclusion made up by memes and poor testings on the side of unprofessional techtubers. A lot of them just look at it in a vacume and don't do enough explanation over the caveats. They do a cinebench test out of the box and call it a day, so there is a lot misinformation over the efficiency of the 13th gen.  Watch this Derbauer video for all the context you need, basically the idle consumption can be as low as one digit out of the box and the peak consumption with the right power limits enforced will give you better performance than the ryzen 7000 series while keeping power draw incredibly efficient. And the difference is really not marginal at all.

7 hours ago, JMak00 said:

Also, I was advised by others (at pcpp) that the AMD issue with multiple monitors and power consumption had been resolved.

All I know is that a lot of people were saying "it has been fixed" after every software update without actually looking into it. And then they wait for the next software update to say "it's fixed again" I also sold the 7900xtx that I had so I can no longer test for myself. But the latest update I had was here were there is a claim by AMD that it has been fixed but everyone in the comments was still complaining that it has not, specially with ultrawides. I would personally go with either a 4080 or a 4090 specially if the 7900XTX isn't considerably cheaper like more than 20-25% but that's for a whole hosts of other reasons too. But of course, it's your decision. If you're buying out of support for AMD then that's alright too.