Ram for b650 tomahawk wifi, boot issues

Gskill F5-6000J3040F16GA2-RS5K is the ram I have, it’s not on the Qvl but I’ve never had issues in the past like this. I thought since it has an xmp profile it might work but I might need different ram, figured I’d ask here. 

In the bios I’ve tried running the xmp profile which is cl30-40-40-96 at 6000mhz and sometimes it will start but it will either drop a bsod on me or it won’t start again. I have to pull the battery or short the jbatt connector to clear the cmos to get back into the bios. 

If I run it default with no changes the system boots and posts almost every single time but the speed is at 4800mhz and the timings are way worse. 

1-Should I just own that I f’ed up and get different ram ?
2-If so what should I get that’s known to be stable in a 32gb 2x16gb kit from Amazon ?

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

You should be able to get that kit to work, there's two things I'd try first:

1. Make sure you're on the latest BIOS. This was an issue on the early BIOS revisions on AMD boards where the XMP profile would not read correctly. This has been mostly fixed on the latest BIOS revisions. 
  2. If that doesn't fix it, enter the parameters manually for the XMP, that should work. 

6 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

You should be able to get that kit to work, there's two things I'd try first:

1. Make sure you're on the latest BIOS. This was an issue on the early BIOS revisions on AMD boards where the XMP profile would not read correctly. This has been mostly fixed on the latest BIOS revisions. 
  2. If that doesn't fix it, enter the parameters manually for the XMP, that should work. 

I’ve never manually messed with ram so I’m completely lost here. I know where the speed adjustment goes but have no clue about what numbers go where for the timings. 

I know for my kit it says cl30-40-40-96 what letters are assigned to those numbers in the bios. 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

1 minute ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

I’ve never manually messed with ram so I’m completely lost here. I know where the speed adjustment goes but have no clue about what numbers go where for the timings. 

There will be a submenu for memory timings, a little below the memory frequency dial. Manually set tCL to 30, tRCD to 40, tRP to 40, and tRAS to 96 (though 30 will also work). You need to also make sure to set the memory voltage to 1.35V. 

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

There will be a submenu for memory timings, a little below the memory frequency dial. Manually set tCL to 30, tRCD to 40, tRP to 40, and tRAS to 96 (though 30 will also work). You need to also make sure to set the memory voltage to 1.35V. 

Thank you so much for the help, I really appreciate it. I’m at work for the next 6 hours but I’ll give it a try when I get home. I’ll tag you when I post back if it’s working or not. 

I’m currently running the v16 bios, I’ll try it on there first and if it doesn’t work I’ll try it on the newer v17 bios. 

Should I mess with any other settings when I’m in the bios? 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

Just now, Gohardgrandpa said:

Should I mess with any other settings when I’m in the bios? 

Might be worth messing with the SOC voltage slightly, 1.25V should help the memory controller run higher frequencies.

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Might be worth messing with the SOC voltage slightly, 1.25V should help the memory controller run higher frequencies. 

Thank you for all your help. Hopefully I can get this to work tonight and I can use my new 7800xt I just got yesterday.  

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

@RONOTHAN##

Using the v16 Bios and manually setting the ram speed, the timings, the dram voltage to 1.35 and the soc voltage to 1.25 It booted first try.

I played games for about 3 hours with no stability issues or BSOD. I restarted the pc thru windows, 10 times in a row, I turned the pc off thru windows and gave it ten minutes and it took 4 on/off power cycles with the button on my case for it to actually boot again. Left it off overnight and turned it on this morning, first try and it booted right away.

I am turning it off thru windows now to see what happens. Went to turn it back on, fans spin, rgb lights up, cpu cooler ramps up but no boot. Turned it off and back on with the power button and it booted no issue, all ram settings stayed the same. So far this is the best result I've had yet. Idk if I should redo the things you said to try on the V17 bios or leave it the way it is now

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

1 hour ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

I am turning it off thru windows now to see what happens. Went to turn it back on, fans spin, rgb lights up, cpu cooler ramps up but no boot.

In my experience this is usually an issue with fast boot. A later BIOS can fix this, though so can just disabling fast boot in Windows and in the BIOS. 

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

In my experience this is usually an issue with fast boot. A later BIOS can fix this, though so can just disabling fast boot in Windows and in the BIOS. 

I dug around in the bios and couldn't find fast boot anywhere, I did find it in the OS and disabled it.

Since disabling it I've been able to power off and power back on the first try every single time and I must've done it at least 20 times over the past 30 minutes to make sure it wasn't a fluke. Thank you so much for this, you saved my sanity.

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x