[Frys] WD Desktop Mainstream 3TB Retail Kit [$89]

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Is that like the Green series?

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

It's probably equivalent to green or blue

It's probably equivalent to green or blue

It seems to be a relabeled  WD Green WD30EZRX.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

It seems to be a relabeled  WD Green WD30EZRX.

It def is, I just came home with one. Limit 1 per person so I am going back tomorrow. They aren't bad drives....good value.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

FYI: Seagate 3TB 7200RPM 64MB cache drives will be on sale for $89.00 starting tomorrow at Frys!

I was there today and they had it posted early and I got them. I bought three.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

It def is, I just came home with one. Limit 1 per person so I am going back tomorrow. They aren't bad drives....good value.

how is the failure rate on that wd compared to the seagate

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

how is the failure rate on that wd compared to the seagate

More or less the same.

did the order not go through for anyone

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

Avoid WD Green drives, by far the highest failure rate of any drive.  Since it's "Eco-friendly), it constantly spins up and down which ruins the bearing very quickly.

It doesn't spin up and down any more than any other drive and would wear down the same amount. It just spins more quickly or slowly depending on the usage. The bearing wears down whenever the motor is spinning, not just when it's spinning up or down.

Also, no. Greens do not have the highest failure rate.

The WD30EZRX had a return rate of 1.29% as of the 30th of October, 2013 which is lower than the average WD hdd. http://www.hardware.fr/articles/911-6/disques-durs.html

I thinned down your post since you had several empty lines between each quote. In the future, just tag the members instead of creating a large redundant wall of text.

i bought a 2tb version a few months ago. I got a wd green in mine. I also have a friend that got a wd bue in the same packaging. Im fairly sure these wd mainstream drives are just refurbished drives or something along those lines

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

WD greens have had more failures than any other drive that has come through my place.  I hate mine, it's constantly off and when I access a program on it, it has to turn on, spin up for 10 seconds then I can access it.  It does indeed shut off completely sadly.  

You can choose to not have your hard drive turn off in your power options.

Unless you've gotten a hold of at least several thousand WD greens to compare with other drives, your experience alone is not a big enough sample size to draw from as for a reliable statistic.

I'd say maybe about 200 or so over my time at my shop.  But there is a reason why most recommend against anything that is considered a "green drive".  I have everything set to high performance, but I'll check the hard drive setting to see if I can fix this.  Most of the drives that have failed were actually external drives in enclosures that were WD Green.

External drives do tend to fail more often due to being more frequently handled and Greens are the norm for WD external hdds.