Suggestion for CPU Cooler

epdnz84e

Hello guys, I have the following build:

CPU: Intel Core i7 13700k

Motherboard: Asus Prime z790-p

Case: Corsair Airflow 5000d

CPU Cooler: DeepCool AK620

During a short browser CPU stress test (around 1 minute at 100% load I would say) my CPU reached 85 degrees. For my standards that kinda hot, I'm coming from an old CPU that would not go past 50 degrees, so I'm not sure if 85 degrees is too hot for a cpu.

The idle temps are anywhere from 30 to 40 degrees so I think I installed it correctly.

During gaming with 30% cpu usage I was having around 60 degrees.

When I first made this build, I went for an air cooler because there is less failure points and it requires less maintenance (and also I'm afraid that I get bad luck and the liquid leaks, even if it has a very low possibility of happening), but I'm not sure if an air cooler is enough to cool this CPU.

My question is: do you suggest to get an AIO water cooler (I would get an Arctic freezer II 360 or a Corsair equivalent) instead of the current air cooler I have?

1. Does the cooling performance of an AIO outweight the risk of it leaking? 

2. Does running my CPU at close to 90 degrees reduce its lifespan?

Thanks for reading

AIO-s generally 99% leak-free. Just the pump might give up in few years or the water block might clog up in some time.

90C is not good, but it should not shorten the life span of a CPU very much afaik.

AK620 is one of the best air coolers out there by the way. AC Liquid Freezer II is one of the best AIO-s. But the difference is just a few degrees at max.

I edit my posts more often than not

15 minutes ago, epdnz84e said:

During a short browser CPU stress test (around 1 minute at 100% load I would say) my CPU reached 85 degrees. For my standards that kinda hot, I'm coming from an old CPU that would not go past 50 degrees, so I'm not sure if 85 degrees is too hot for a cpu.

The idle temps are anywhere from 30 to 40 degrees so I think I installed it correctly.

When I first made this build, I went for an air cooler because there is less failure points and it requires less maintenance (and also I'm afraid that I get bad luck and the liquid leaks, even if it has a very low possibility of happening), but I'm not sure if an air cooler is enough to cool this CPU.

My question is: do you suggest to get an AIO water cooler (I would get an Arctic freezer II 360 or a Corsair equivalent) instead of the current air cooler I have?

Thanks for reading

13th gen is basically uncoolable, not letting it run at 100c under full load (if it needs to run at 100c full load depends on cooler and settings) is just wasting performance potential, maybe you can do abit of undervolting and optimize the volts to drop temps, but underclocking to drop temps is just wasting performance potential

degradation is irrelevant and wont be noticable for a decade or well past the cpu being obselete, just find some old 775 or 1156/1366 and clock em if you need proof, most e8000 c2d chips will still do around 4.2-4.3ghz ~1.35v just like they did back in 2008 or whatever year they were released in, heck i have an e8400 and an e3110 that do 4.3g at 1.34v so pretty much what you can expect out of an average sample

24 minutes ago, epdnz84e said:

My question is: do you suggest to get an AIO water cooler

some tower coolers can run as good as AIO,

though depends on model, and if your case can fit it

24 minutes ago, epdnz84e said:

that might be your aim,

unless you plan on heavy CPU workload that stresses all cores at max power your current cooler should do fine,

btw what cooler do you have currently?

Edited by podkall
edit

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

Also under-volting might be a good idea. Depends of the specimen.

Some are better at under-volting than others and can run cooler.

18 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

AIO-s generally 99% leak-free. Just the pump might give up in few years or the water block might clog up in some time.

90C is not good, but it should not shorten the life span of a CPU very much afaik.

AK620 is one of the best air coolers out there by the way. AC Liquid Freezer II is one of the best AIO-s. But the difference is just a few degrees at max.

Also keep in mind that alot of AIO failures happen much faster if installed incorrectly. I don't know the proper orientation myself very well you should probably look into that when using an AIO. Also agree that AIO probably won't do much better than their current air cooler. Not sure if it is seated correctly or if the i7 just runs that hot.

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Not sure if it is seated correctly or if the i7 just runs that hot.

13th gen just is hot. Ridiculously hot.

8 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

13th gen just is hot. Ridiculously hot.

I am glad I picked the R9 7900x even more now. It runs at very good temps with the same cooler as op. Such a good cooler for the money tbh. That and the R9 7900x had a crazy deal and cost as much as getting an i7 13700k did and I prefer AMD tbh. Granted the i7 is still a great cpu all things considered. 

59 minutes ago, epdnz84e said:

Thanks for reading

Good news first, 85C on 13th gen Intel is fine for some reason. They do run quite hot by design. You can lower clocks and limit boost if your board has those options, also power limit the CPU. You will loose some fps but lower temps significantly enough. Other then that, a 280 mm AIO or better would be the next step. With modern AIOs there is very little risk of leaking. I have had several of the older models and none of them leaked, even after several years. It can happen but usually they either leak right away or not at all. You can test it outside the case before replacing your current heatsink, that also ensures the pump isn't rattling.

8 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Good news first, 85C on 13th gen Intel is fine for some reason. They do run quite hot by design. You can lower clocks and limit boost if your board has those options, also power limit the CPU. You will loose some fps but lower temps significantly enough. Other then that, a 280 mm AIO or better would be the next step. With modern AIOs there is very little risk of leaking. I have had several of the older models and none of them leaked, even after several years. It can happen but usually they either leak right away or not at all. You can test it outside the case before replacing your current heatsink, that also ensures the pump isn't rattling.

Honestly I don't think the cost of the AIO would be worth it imo. I can't imagine spending 100 plus dollars on something that won't make a significant difference. If they didn't have a nice air cooler I could justify it but they have something that performs basically the same as the best air cooler on the marker like the D15. 

1 hour ago, podkall said:

some tower coolers can run as good as AIO,

though depends on model, and if your case can fit it

that might be your aim,

unless you plan on heavy CPU workload that stresses all cores at max power your current cooler should do fine,

btw what cooler do you have currently?

I have a DeepCool AK620

1 hour ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

13th gen is basically uncoolable, not letting it run at 100c under full load (if it needs to run at 100c full load depends on cooler and settings) is just wasting performance potential, maybe you can do abit of undervolting and optimize the volts to drop temps, but underclocking to drop temps is just wasting performance potential

degradation is irrelevant and wont be noticable for a decade or well past the cpu being obselete, just find some old 775 or 1156/1366 and clock em if you need proof, most e8000 c2d chips will still do around 4.2-4.3ghz ~1.35v just like they did back in 2008 or whatever year they were released in, heck i have an e8400 and an e3110 that do 4.3g at 1.34v so pretty much what you can expect out of an average sample

I've read a bit online about undervolting but I was trying to understand if it's safe to do or if it will reduce the lifespan of the CPU, will make some more research

Just now, epdnz84e said:

I've read a bit online about undervolting but I was trying to understand if it's safe to do or if it will reduce the lifespan of the CPU, will make some more research

Undervolting if anything should increase the lifespan of a CPU.

26 minutes ago, epdnz84e said:

just ask here,

undervolting is basically, decreasing maximum allowed voltage that can go to the CPU

either way

you have

32 minutes ago, epdnz84e said:

I have a DeepCool AK620

which is actually pretty good cooler

do you do anything more demanding than gaming on your PC? because the CPU won't really go stressed to 100% all the time when gaming usually, meaning it should never reach those 80s °C

just gaming should be fine, as long as the temps are fine, which they should be

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

24 minutes ago, podkall said:

just ask here,

undervolting is basically, decreasing maximum allowed voltage that can go to the CPU

either way

you have

which is actually pretty good cooler

do you do anything more demanding than gaming on your PC? because the CPU won't really go stressed to 100% all the time when gaming usually, meaning it should never reach those 80s °C

just gaming should be fine, as long as the temps are fine, which they should be

Yes, I do some programming, I also run virtual machines and docker containers, but this is my first day with this computer and I didn't have the opportunity to test it with my usual workflow, I just ran a stress test and when I saw that it reached almost 90 degrees I thought I have made a wrong decision on the cooler, since my previous CPU (intel i5 6600) would not go over 60 degrees even at constant high usage (90% over multiple hours)

I have an update. I just did a new stress test, but this time I wanted a controlled one, so I installed the package "stress" which allows me to set the CPU load I prefer. I got these results:

CPU Cooler fan setting from BIOS: Turbo

Load 50% - 120 seconds - max temp 69 degrees.
Load 67% - 120 seconds - max temp 73 degrees, mostly sitting between 69 and 73.
Load 84% - 120 seconds - max temp 74 degrees, mostly sitting between 72 and 74.
Load 100% - 120 seconds - max temp 75 degrees, mostly sitting between 74 and 75.

The first stress test I ran was with this website https://mprep.info/gpu/ . I'm not sure why I got higher temps when doing the stress test from that website.

I also realized that even at 50% the fan makes so much noise >.<

On 9/15/2023 at 11:55 AM, epdnz84e said:

Thanks for reading

Your temps are great, don't worry. 

1. If you had horribly high temps (95+ during normal activity), an AIO would be useful, but that cooler is powerful and doing its job. 
  2. Theoretically, but 13th gen Intel are designed for heat. Still, lower is better, and you have that. 

As was suggested, you can undervolt the CPU to lower the temp more. 

On 9/15/2023 at 3:19 PM, epdnz84e said:

I have an update. I just did a new stress test, but this time I wanted a controlled one, so I installed the package "stress" which allows me to set the CPU load I prefer. I got these results:

CPU Cooler fan setting from BIOS: Turbo

Load 50% - 120 seconds - max temp 69 degrees.
Load 67% - 120 seconds - max temp 73 degrees, mostly sitting between 69 and 73.
Load 84% - 120 seconds - max temp 74 degrees, mostly sitting between 72 and 74.
Load 100% - 120 seconds - max temp 75 degrees, mostly sitting between 74 and 75.

The first stress test I ran was with this website https://mprep.info/gpu/ . I'm not sure why I got higher temps when doing the stress test from that website.

I also realized that even at 50% the fan makes so much noise >.<

Great temps, but try 3DMark, PCMark, Prime95, Superposition, etc....

On 9/15/2023 at 4:07 PM, epdnz84e said:

Do you guys know if AIO coolers are more silent?

Depends on which one. Some are very quiet, like the Arctic Liquid Freezer 2. Others are noisy. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂