I am upgrading my pc from an phenom x6 to a newer chip (preferably ddr4/ddr5)

jessedam

Budget (including currency): 400 euro

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: escape the backrooms, fortnite, minecraft, gta 5.

current pc: amd phenom II x6 1055t, 2x amd hd 6850 (with some kind of link in between them, says crossfire), an Asrock motherboard, 3 tb of hdd storage and 8 gb of ddr3 memory.

any help is welcome, this is my first time actually (re)building a pc. it played well for 2-3 years but games stopped working so i am upgrading and overall it is really slow.

thanks in advance!

you're basically building a new PC from scratch here.

you can't upgrade the chip to any meaningful benefit, so that's out of the question.   

And at 400 euro, you're gonna be shopping used a fair bit.  Seen if you can find any R5 3600 systems on something like FB Marketplace or the like?  

You can't get a full new system with 400 euros. Only used. As tkitch suggested, go for R5 3600 + 16 GB RAM + GTX 1660 + SSD.

Purify your Windows 10/11, don't give Microsoft anything that you don't want to share.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZwVs9zrM493rjD42E2Pf0YcOkaW92ZUo

Tips for folding on laptop:

Lazy man wants upgrades from the sky.

https://stats.foldingathome.org/donor/Spakes

Hello, welcome to the forums.

If you want all new parts, then with 400 Euros you could do something like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  (€101.54 @ Paradigit) 
Motherboard: Asus PRIME A520M-A II/CSM Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€55.91 @ Amazon Netherlands) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (€37.49 @ Amazon Netherlands) 
Storage: Crucial P3 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (€46.85 @ Megekko) 
Video Card: XFX GTR XXX Radeon RX 580 8 GB Video Card  (€161.00 @ Amazon Netherlands) 
Total: €402.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-09-12 17:02 CEST+0200

For any type of modern gaming, you'll need not only a newer GPU, but also a new CPU (965 doesn't support some instruction sets modern games need, aside from how slow it is by today's standards) and that means a new motherboard and RAM as well. I also wedged an SSD into the budget because nobody should be booting off of spinning rust in 2023.

This setup isn't up to playing new AAA games but it should handle the type of titles you say you play and more demanding stuff at 1080p with moderate settings. 

Realistically, you probably need a new power supply as well, because if your current PSU is of similar vintage then it's probably long since out of warranty if nothing else but it's going to be difficult/impossible to get that into the budget with new parts unless maybe you went the Ryzen APU route, the integrated graphics could handle this lighter stuff OK and you could add a discrete GPU later.

I don't know what marketplaces you have access to for secondhand parts, but if I were you I would look to see if you can find someone selling a newer-gen (3000 series or newer) Ryzen CPU, board, and RAM combo for 200 Euros or less. Or you could go with new parts for everything else but try to find a used GPU (RX 5600-5700, RTX 2060, something in that ballpark) for around 150. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Essentially sell off the cpu gpu mobo and rams and reuse everything else if reusable

What cooler?

Send pics of the psu and wattage table to make sure its good enough

13 minutes ago, tkitch said:

And at 400 euro, you're gonna be shopping used a fair bit.  Seen if you can find any R5 3600 systems on something like FB Marketplace or the like?  

^^^

But assuming you can reuse alot of stuff a 5600(x) + 32gb ddr4 + 5700(xt)/6600(xt) system is within reach at 400€

22 minutes ago, jessedam said:

Budget (including currency): 400 euro

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: escape the backrooms, fortnite, minecraft, gta 5.

current pc: amd phenom II x6 1055t, 2x amd hd 6850 (with some kind of link in between them, says crossfire), an Asrock motherboard, 3 tb of hdd storage and 8 gb of ddr3 memory.

any help is welcome, this is my first time actually (re)building a pc. it played well for 2-3 years but games stopped working so i am upgrading and overall it is really slow.

thanks in advance!

We can try new. Won't be amazing but it'll work

in hindsight, this build doesn't look too bad

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 4500 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  (€79.95 @ Azerty) 
Motherboard: MSI B450M-A PRO MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€54.90 @ Amazon Netherlands) 
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (€30.90 @ Amazon Netherlands) 
Storage: Lexar NS100 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€35.99 @ Amazon Netherlands) 
Video Card: Gainward Phoenix GS GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB Video Card  (€133.85 @ Megekko) 
Case: Aerocool CS-1102 ATX Mid Tower Case  (€31.09 @ Amazon Netherlands) 
Power Supply: Corsair CV550 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (€56.99 @ Paradigit) 
Total: €423.67
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-09-12 17:20 CEST+0200

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

Found already built one on FB Marketplace in Netherlands. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/7041637749201090/

Purify your Windows 10/11, don't give Microsoft anything that you don't want to share.

3 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Essentially sell off the cpu gpu mobo and rams and reuse everything else if reusable

Realistically, nothing here is reusable. Perhaps the case, and maybe the HDD for storage of low-importance files. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

2 minutes ago, filpo said:

We can try new. Won't be amazing but it'll work

in hindsight, this build doesn't look too bad

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 4500 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  (€79.95 @ Azerty) 
Motherboard: MSI B450M-A PRO MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€54.90 @ Amazon Netherlands) 
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (€30.90 @ Amazon Netherlands) 
Storage: Lexar NS100 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€35.99 @ Amazon Netherlands) 
Video Card: Gainward Phoenix GS GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB Video Card  (€133.85 @ Megekko) 
Case: Aerocool CS-1102 ATX Mid Tower Case  (€31.09 @ Amazon Netherlands) 
Power Supply: Corsair CV550 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (€56.99 @ Paradigit) 
Total: €423.67
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-09-12 17:20 CEST+0200

You forgot to include a CPU cooler... There won't be any mounting mechanisms in his existing PC for AM4.

3 minutes ago, Spakes said:

You forgot to include a CPU cooler... There won't be any mounting mechanisms in his existing PC for AM4.

image.png.a8b0fb7525c52bb4547f56094b796c7e.png

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

37 minutes ago, Spakes said:

either of those are pretty solid.  

the only real downside to the omen, is it's fairly custom so upgrading will be limited?  But it doesn't seem like that'd be a huge concern, so at 400 that's a solid price. 

thanks for the response. my mom wants me to buy all new parts but thanks anyway spakes

and also thanks filpo tkitch middcore and somerandomtechygui

on both pcpartpicker link there is an bios compatability issue, is this anything worth concerning about?

34 minutes ago, jessedam said:

on both pcpartpicker link there is an bios compatability issue, is this anything worth concerning about?

Not really, freshly shipped MoBos usually ship with newer BIOSes. Besides, if that won't be the case, you can always try to find someone with lower gen CPU and use it to flash a new version of BIOS.

7 hours ago, Middcore said:

Realistically, nothing here is reusable. Perhaps the case, and maybe the HDD for storage of low-importance files. 

I prefer to not throw perfectly reusable stuff away, so what if you gotta ziptie the cooler or the damn tierlist says the psu is bad

Case and storage are absolutely reusable but psu and cooler may also be reusable and i dont discount those things cause at 400$ things add up fast