Pc can’t boot when XMP enabled

Neo767

Hey, I just finished building my pc it booted to windows and everything fine then I went to bios to enable xmp and my pc went black now when I boot it I get no display but all fans spin and everything, 

parts: Ryzen 7 7800x3d

Motherboard: Msi pro X670 P Wi-Fi 

Ram: Corsair Venageance 32gb 2x16 6000 MHz 

I also just took the cmos out and back and now pc boots so question is what can I do to set the ram to 6000 MHz ?

I had a similar problem with a different mobo and cpu but what solved the issue for me was reseating the cpu, but before you do that try just switching to xmp2 profile and this worked for me and everything works fine for years now

You could loosen timings (add 2 to the first 4 timings for example)

You could check your Ram at stock settings with Memtest86

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

14 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

What BIOS revision are you on? Earlier BIOS revisions had a lot of issues with XMP that were mostly fixed in the latest revisions. 

Hey, I have the latest bios version I updated it to support the 7800x3d so I updated to the latest version 

26 minutes ago, Hurla said:

I had a similar problem with a different mobo and cpu but what solved the issue for me was reseating the cpu, but before you do that try just switching to xmp2 profile and this worked for me and everything works fine for years now

I can’t see xmp 2 where is it? I only saw disable enable 

35 minutes ago, Neo767 said:

parts: Ryzen 7 7800x3d

Motherboard: Msi pro X670 P Wi-Fi 

Ram: Corsair Venageance 32gb 2x16 6000 MHz 

image.png.61ce1bf09fcbb597bde60e181a8ad6c6.png

you're running above spec, so it's not guaranteed to work

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

When you enable XMP below you will be able to choose the profile. XMP1 and XMP2. XMP1 is to enable a factory frequency and you can configure it as you would be able to do on XMP2 but if your ram voltage isn't compatible with your MOBO then XMP2 would be the best option and you would need to adjust it but you would still be able to adjust your frequency. To answer your question it would be right below enable/disable and the option would say "profile" 

Just now, Neo767 said:

Hey, I have the latest bios version I updated it to support the 7800x3d so I updated to the latest version 

OK, so this is roughly what I'd try doing first:

1. Reseat the memory. DDR5 is very sensitive to mounting pressure, so having the sticks not seated quite right can cause issues booting higher memory speeds. This is usually more of a concern for speeds of 7200+, but I have seen it where it won't boot at 6000 but will at 4800 JEDEC before with a really bad mount. More pressure is usually better in my experience, though this can vary based on the motherboard so keep that in mind. Also double check that you're in slots 2 and 4 counting from the CPU, as they're the ones designed to clock memory rather high. 
  2. Try not using XMP and manually enter all the memory parameters. First, set the SOC voltage to 1.25V, set the timings to what they're rated for, or if you don't know that go for CL40-40-40-90 as that should work on everything, set the memory voltage to what it's rated for (will either be 1.3 or 1.35V), and slowly walk the memory frequency up until you get to 6000. 
2 minutes ago, Hurla said:

When you enable XMP below you will be able to choose the profile. XMP1 and XMP2. XMP1 is to enable a factory frequency and you can configure it as you would be able to do on XMP2 but if your ram voltage isn't compatible with your MOBO then XMP2 would be the best option and you would need to adjust it but you would still be able to adjust your frequency. To answer your question it would be right below enable/disable and the option would say "profile" 

Most sticks don't have an XMP2 setting onboard. 

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

OK, so this is roughly what I'd try doing first:

1. Reseat the memory. DDR5 is very sensitive to mounting pressure, so having the sticks not seated quite right can cause issues booting higher memory speeds. This is usually more of a concern for speeds of 7200+, but I have seen it where it won't boot at 6000 but will at 4800 JEDEC before with a really bad mount. More pressure is usually better in my experience, though this can vary based on the motherboard so keep that in mind. Also double check that you're in slots 2 and 4 counting from the CPU, as they're the ones designed to clock memory rather high. 
  2. Try not using XMP and manually enter all the memory parameters. First, set the SOC voltage to 1.25V, set the timings to what they're rated for, or if you don't know that go for CL40-40-40-90 as that should work on everything, set the memory voltage to what it's rated for (will either be 1.3 or 1.35V), and slowly walk the memory frequency up until you get to 6000. 

Most sticks don't have an XMP2 setting onboard. 

Useful info I haven't dealt with DDR5 so far only DDR3 and DDR4 and this worked

Just now, Hurla said:

Useful info I haven't dealt with DDR5 so far only DDR3 and DDR4 and this worked

You were lucky then, XMP2 was about as common back then as it is now. The only people who consistently put multiple XMP profiles on their sticks in my experience is Kingston, G.Skill never does and Corsair doesn't often (though I'm pretty sure they have in the past, I'm not aware of a DDR5 kit of theirs that does). The smaller manufacturers like Patriot and ADATA occasionally put it on their high spec kits, though it's not something you can rely on like Kingston. 

Hey, I just checked and the ram has Intel xmp 3.0 profile, maybe if I create a new profile instead of using the Intel one it’ll work? 

IMG_0440.jpeg