More than 4 years of Android updates for the Google Pixel 8!

Senzelian
10 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

Let me make a list:

A good built in amp that can drive my high impedance headphones

A good built in DAC cause I don't want to carry an external one

A good set of mics to record jam sessions

A removable battery cause they are disposable and I'd rather swap a battery in the middle of the day than be tethered to a power bank or a wall wart

SD cards, cause it doesn't matter how large the storage is when it can all be gone with the phone if it just suddenly dies on you, and cloud ain't an alternative

Non glass sandwich design, dumbest to ever come out

Nice feature to have of the V10: the secondary display On top of the main one with its front facing camera next to it without ruining the main display with holes

What do I get with the current selection of devices right now:

A better SoC and current version of android. Maybe a removable battery, but forget everything else.

Doesn't sound like an upgrade to me, and I'm perfectly content with my current phone and see no reason to swap as long as it keeps going as it is and letting me type this reply without breaking a sweat.

You can consider most mid range phones paired with an apple audio dongle when it breaks. Unless your headphones have very low sensitivity, the dongle should work very well. The efficient modern chips and the oled panels can last you the day without charging. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

4 hours ago, Kinda Bottlenecked said:

You can consider most mid range phones paired with an apple audio dongle when it breaks. Unless your headphones have very low sensitivity, the dongle should work very well.

yay... carry more stuff instead of just one.

4 hours ago, Kinda Bottlenecked said:

The efficient modern chips and the oled panels can last you the day without charging.

untill the battery goes bad, then what? buy a new phone again? go around with a heatgun, and a spare glass back just in case the one on shetters during prying? tether?

compromise, compromise, compromise and compromise. The future is bright indeed 😕

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

yay... carry more stuff instead of just one.

I would say if you're already carrying around headphones then the dongle adds nothing. I did think I would get annoyed but the dongle is so small that I do not even have to think about it.

untill the battery goes bad, then what? buy a new phone again? go around with a heatgun, and a spare glass back just in case the one on shetters during prying? tether?

compromise, compromise, compromise and compromise. The future is bright indeed 😕

You haven't heard about the fairphone?

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

untill the battery goes bad, then what? buy a new phone again? go around with a heatgun, and a spare glass back just in case the one on shetters during prying?

Not at all how replacement of batteries works in decently designed and built phones - of which you obviously have never even touched a repair guide. Ignoring the blaring fact that there's tons of shops out there that get the job done for you for a small fee that'd you'd have to pay once every couple of years, so rather negligible cost given total ownership cost of a smart phone.

You're immune to advice, blind to viable alternatives and just want to stick with your outdated stuff out of sheer principle and because "back in my days everything was better" and new === bad.

1 hour ago, Kinda Bottlenecked said:

I would say if you're already carrying around headphones then the dongle adds nothing. I did think I would get annoyed but the dongle is so small that I do not even have to think about it.

You haven't heard about the fairphone?

i'm literally the one who made the post about the fairphone 5. And compared to the V10 it's just compromises, gives me one thing, forget about all the others.

And not carrying around extras is even better.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

34 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

Not at all how replacement of batteries works in decently designed and built phones - of which you obviously have never even touched a repair guide. Ignoring the blaring fact that there's tons of shops out there that get the job done for you for a small fee that'd you'd have to pay once every couple of years, so rather negligible cost given total ownership cost of a smart phone.

let me see, right now replacing a battery that is dying costs me nothing and, beside shipping, takes 30 seconds to do. On top of that i can have more than one at a time and go days without seeing a wallwart.

But yeah the new way of doing things is soooooooo much better.

36 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

You're immune to advice, blind to viable alternatives and just want to stick with your outdated stuff out of sheer principle and because "back in my days everything was better" and new === bad.

I stick to what works and don't accept less as more

13 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

let me see, right now replacing a battery that is dying costs me nothing and, beside shipping, takes 30 seconds to do. On top of that i can have more than one at a time and go days without seeing a wallwart.

But yeah the new way of doing things is soooooooo much better.

How can you be so delusional. Constanltly owning/buying multiple batteries, managing their charge state, possibly charging them outside of the phone or shutting your phone off at every battery swap, it all comes with some kind of cost. The way you are doing things now is anything but free, it does not cost you nothing, that's just BS.

Use cases where you cannot see an outlet for days are well covered by a power bank which universally charges every device and is not limited to this very phone, and also does not require to shut off/restart the phone. Chances are high that you are carrying more than a phone on such occassions, so you either anyways need to have a power bank, or carry multiple types of spare batteries, which is just cumbersome af.

Besides all this, you are ignoring the simple fact that the cost I cited is negligible in the grand scheme of total ownership cost.

13 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

I stick to what works and don't accept less as more

And you ignore that other solutions work as well or even better than the gaping security hole you're currently using.

My previous statement remains true. You stick to doing things this old way out of sheer principle and stubborness.

51 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

There are well designed and built phones with replaceable batteries, most people aren't going to bother with repair guides which require special tools, and you're ignoring the fact that people don't want to go through the inconvenience of taking their phone to a repair store and not have a phone for a whole day or weeks if the phone has to be shipped back the manufacturer repair center.

The alternative with a phone with a replaceable battery is buy a battery for like $30, spend less than a minute replacing it, then you have a phone with a new battery, no need to take it to a repair shop.

51 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

Wanting to have things like a 3.5mm jack and a replaceable battery isn't "outdated" its having useful features without having to compromise with worse things because phone companies want to sell you cloud storage because you can't add a microSD card, or wireless earbuds which also have glued in batteries so you'll have to replace them with your phone in 2 or 3 years.

Removing features for the sake of profit is called enshittification.

2 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

There are well designed and built phones with replaceable batteries, most people aren't going to bother with repair guides which require special tools, and you're ignoring the fact that people don't want to go through the inconvenience of taking their phone to a repair store and not have a phone for a whole day or weeks if the phone has to be shipped back the manufacturer repair center.

The alternative with a phone with a replaceable battery is buy a battery for like $30, spend less than a minute replacing it, then you have a phone with a new battery, no need to take it to a repair shop.

Ah, here come to usual suspects. You literally managed to repeat the same utter, objectively false bullshit about battery swaps for the 20th time or so in this forum, even after I have proven you wrong several times. The same utter BS about "m0sT peOplE" with zero facts to back anything you're claiming.

You know what 30$ also buys you? The service cost (excluding the actual battery) for getting a swap done at a local shop. Let it be 50$ - it's sth you have to spend once every 3 years or so. But after the absolute baseless claim of cost, here comes the next BS about "inconvenience".

You know what's horribly inconvenient in my book? Managing to always have a charged spare battery ready.

52 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

i'm literally the one who made the post about the fairphone 5. And compared to the V10 it's just compromises, gives me one thing, forget about all the others.

And not carrying around extras is even better.

Alrighty Mr Tech News OP. Then its really strange that the fairphone is a compromise. Better batteries, better screen and easily replaceable components. The only thing that you loose is a headphone jack that is easily remedied by a cheap dongle from apple. 

Its really strange that you would rather carry multiple batteries around for the day then use a modern powerbank which can hold more charge. What do you prioritize more when it comes to mobility? 

Because coming from the v30(which is arguably the best in the V series) the apple dongle has really surprised me in its performance. And the new phone is handily beating the v30 in everything. 

1 hour ago, Dracarris said:

How can you be so delusional. Constanltly owning/buying multiple batteries, managing their charge state, possibly charging them outside of the phone or shutting your phone off at every battery swap, it all comes with some kind of cost. The way you are doing things now is anything but free, it does not cost you nothing, that's just BS.

Use cases where you cannot see an outlet for days are well covered by a power bank which universally charges every device and is not limited to this very phone, and also does not require to shut off/restart the phone. Chances are high that you are carrying more than a phone on such occassions, so you either anyways need to have a power bank, or carry multiple types of spare batteries, which is just cumbersome af.

Besides all this, you are ignoring the simple fact that the cost I cited is negligible in the grand scheme of total ownership cost.

Who's the one being delusional?

owning buying multiple batteries and managing their charge state?

It's called a charging cradle, mind blowing i own. I'll also tell you how it works:

Put your spare battery in, put your phone if needed, done. Even acts as a phone stand. Such complication, much hard.

And what's wrong with turning off your phone now? But i'll entertain your wild claim, it's a whole minute if we include the time it takes the phone to reboot while being tether free and only carrying around a battery the size of... the phone's battery vs a power bank and constantly having a cable dandling around.

didn't say it cost nothing but you said it yourself, it's still cheaper then the new awesome futuristic way of doing things.

how we go from a phone to multiple types of battery to carry around can only happen in your looney world, In the real world, i have a phone, it's spare battery and that's it.

a 14€ battery, last time i purchased vs a 50€ battery and service and let's not include the time in it, so negligible 🙄

1 hour ago, Kinda Bottlenecked said:

Alrighty Mr Tech News OP. Then its really strange that the fairphone is a compromise. Better batteries, better screen and easily replaceable components. The only thing that you loose is a headphone jack that is easily remedied by a cheap dongle from apple. 

Its really strange that you would rather carry multiple batteries around for the day then use a modern powerbank which can hold more charge. What do you prioritize more when it comes to mobility? 

Because coming from the v30(which is arguably the best in the V series) the apple dongle has really surprised me in its performance. And the new phone is handily beating the v30 in everything. 

better battery? sure

better screen? not even close

i loose the headphone jack, the quadDAC, the mic and recording software that almost puts the phone on par with the cheapest tascam, the IR blaster, the secondary display that avoid having a hole on the main screen.

Apple's dongle can drive high impedance headphone/IEMs? that's new to me.

It's amazing how people are outraged that i'd rather have convenience of carrying a single extra battery over a powerbank and it's cable and having the phone attached to something when i need more juice.

Guess what's more mobile between the two options.

Yeah no, hard disagree, V10 > V30. V20 could have taken the cake but they add to ruin with the metal back. 30, 40, 50 and 60, was just LG trying to follow trends

29 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

It's called a charging cradle

It's called owning and buying yet another accessory that then charges only one specific type of batteries. And yes, annoying af. While at the same time, if you have the need to be away from a wall for several days, you most probably anyways need to own a battery bank.

And what's wrong with turning off your phone now? But i'll entertain your wild claim, it's a whole minute if we include the time it takes the phone to reboot while being tether free and only carrying around a battery the size of... the phone's battery vs a power bank and constantly having a cable dandling around.

didn't say it cost nothing but you said it yourself, it's still cheaper then the new awesome futuristic way of doing things.

Rebooting, again: annoying af. And once again you show how delusional you are. You think you are untethered, while in reality you are tethered to spare batteries that you have to carry around, remind to charge them if not used over an extended period of time, otherwise dispose them as they'll go bad (much easy, much economical, much enviornment friendly, much cheap, right?).

a 14€ battery, last time i purchased vs a 50€ battery and service and let's not include the time in it, so negligible 🙄

You buy 3 14 Euro batteries, I pay 50 Euro for a replacement after 3 years and enjoy a hassle-free time without having to buy a proprietary charging craddle. You save 8 Euros, you win big, big time. Even if you save 50 Euros, over the span of 3 years that's ridiculously little compared to total ownership costs.

1 hour ago, suicidalfranco said:

better battery? sure

better screen? not even close

i loose the headphone jack, the quadDAC, the mic and recording software that almost puts the phone on par with the cheapest tascam, the IR blaster, 

the secondary display that avoid having a hole on the main screen.

Apple's dongle can drive high impedance headphone/IEMs? that's new to me.

LCD vs OLED, its not even close. 

The LG v10 unfortunately loses out to phones older than itself when it came to recording audio. Although impressive for its time, phones these days also have stereo and can record at higher bitrates than the lg v10. 

A hole in the screen means a screen to body ratio that's closer to 90% compared to the v10's 70%. I won't be missing the secondary screen if you ask me. 

Minor correction, I do believe that the v10 did not get the quad dac. Only the v20 and up. It is still an impressive audio setup. Specs wise the quad dac on my v30 would have beaten the apple dongle but sonically they sound the same. I had no problems powering my gear with the apple dongle, which is telling since they're also highly praised by the audiophile community. The gear can be high impedance but as long as they are sensitive enough the apple dongle will be fine.

It's amazing how people are outraged that i'd rather have convenience of carrying a single extra battery over a powerbank and it's cable and having the phone attached to something when i need more juice.

Guess what's more mobile between the two options.

Yeah no, hard disagree, V10 > V30. V20 could have taken the cake but they add to ruin with the metal back. 30, 40, 50 and 60, was just LG trying to follow trends

Battery tech has come along way so these days you can have small high capacity powerbanks that are also wireless charging capable. What's more mobile and convenient would be this option cause then you wouldn't be needing to shutdown your phone whenever your battery runs out. 

I disagree, the v30 was the phone where LG introduced many well thought out features. Content creation on this was truly a step up from the previous 2. You can even shoot in LOG. This was wayyyy before apple introduced the proraw feature. 

I am itching to just reply sarcastically to a line a special someone said regarding advice and being blind to alternatives.

I think I'll switch back to android after the 8a arrives.

15 hours ago, Kinda Bottlenecked said:

LCD vs OLED, its not even close. 

a good LCD can still outshine a bad OLED, doubt Fairphone is using some goods panels from Samsung or LG.

The LG v10 unfortunately loses out to phones older than itself when it came to recording audio. Although impressive for its time, phones these days also have stereo and can record at higher bitrates than the lg v10. 

and yet for some reason i'm still the one doing the better recording among my group of friends.

A hole in the screen means a screen to body ratio that's closer to 90% compared to the v10's 70%. I won't be missing the secondary screen if you ask me. 

I'll take 70% perfect rectangle over a 99%

one with a defect.

16 hours ago, Kinda Bottlenecked said:

Minor correction, I do believe that the v10 did not get the quad dac. Only the v20 and up. It is still an impressive audio setup. Specs wise the quad dac on my v30 would have beaten the apple dongle but sonically they sound the same. I had no problems powering my gear with the apple dongle, which is telling since they're also highly praised by the audiophile community. The gear can be high impedance but as long as they are sensitive enough the apple dongle will be fine.

add to check, it's true. Only one without the quadDAC and only one with the DAC and amp as seperate chips.

Why carry a dongle? i'd rather not.

Battery tech has come along way so these days you can have small high capacity powerbanks that are also wireless charging capable. What's more mobile and convenient would be this option cause then you wouldn't be needing to shutdown your phone whenever your battery runs out.

yeah no, im fine like this and see no value in wireless charging, going from a dangling cable to stay perfectly still in that spot? i'll take the minute of reboot thank you very much.

I disagree, the v30 was the phone where LG introduced many well thought out features.

And sacrificing good design choices for bad ones.

Content creation on this was truly a step up from the previous 2. You can even shoot in LOG. This was wayyyy before apple introduced the proraw feature. 

yeah, too bad the market rewards only those who stick to trends.

a good LCD can still outshine a bad OLED, doubt Fairphone is using some goods panels from Samsung or LG.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the LG V10 basically the LG G4 with the extra display?

If so, then the V10 didn't have a good LCD. It was actually pretty crappy, even for 2015 standards. I had the G4 so I am basing my assessment on that one, and it seemed like LG had no idea how to calibrate displays back then. The screen was extremely blue, the gamma was way off (probably in an attempt to boost brightness), the white point was out of whack (more than 1000 kelvin too high) and in terms of color accuracy, it was all over the place. 

Even if the display was good, the calibration was quite frankly awful. 

I would be very surprised if the Fairphone for example was worse, and even a midrange Samsung phone will probably blow it out the water these days.

and yet for some reason i'm still the one doing the better recording among my group of friends.

That doesn't mean it is better.

It might be out of habit.

It might be because you are eager to do it and nobody wants to complain (maybe because they don't care?).

It might be because it is inaccurate, but inaccurate in a way you like (colors the sound).

Sound is very subjective, and it is very easy to fool yourself. Without objective measurements and/or blind tests, you can't be sure that what you are perceiving is actually true.

one with a defect.

I am pretty sure this is one of those things you object to because of principles and/or "it's what I am used to so I don't want to change", so I won't try and convince you one way or the other.

What I will tell you however is that a lot of phones have the option to disable the top so that it basically gets a "bezel", and apps won't end up below the nitch/cutout. Might be worth considering. There are also apps like "nacho notch" that does the same thing in case the phone doesn't have it built in. I do know Samsung has it built in though, but you have to do it per app for some reason.

add to check, it's true. Only one without the quadDAC and only one with the DAC and amp as seperate chips.

You could just leave the dongle attacked to your headphones.

Also, you're the one talking about carrying several spare batteries. Are you really going to argue that that's perfectly fine, but a tiny little dongle attached to your headphones (thus just making the cable a few cm longer) is out of line? It feels like a pretty arbitrary line to me.

7 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the LG V10 basically the LG G4 with the extra display?

If so, then the V10 didn't have a good LCD. It was actually pretty crappy, even for 2015 standards. I had the G4 so I am basing my assessment on that one, and it seemed like LG had no idea how to calibrate displays back then. The screen was extremely blue, the gamma was way off (probably in an attempt to boost brightness), the white point was out of whack (more than 1000 kelvin too high) and in terms of color accuracy, it was all over the place. 

Even if the display was good, the calibration was quite frankly awful. 

I would be very surprised if the Fairphone for example was worse, and even a midrange Samsung phone will probably blow it out the water these days.

only issue i got with the screen was image persistence 3 years ago, solved by replacing it. Other than that it looks fine to me, images are crisp and don't appear washed out. Colors pop out, not as much as on a samsung panel, but still good imo

7 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Also, you're the one talking about carrying several spare batteries. Are you really going to argue that that's perfectly fine, but a tiny little dongle attached to your headphones (thus just making the cable a few cm longer) is out of line? It feels like a pretty arbitrary line to me.

okay then it's one extra, small and compact, battery vs a power bank and a dongle that needs to be removed when i change source from a phone to say a PC or a console like the deck.

carrying one battery may sound inconvenient to you lot, but sure as hell it isn't as inconvenient as the solution you people are proposing here just to get me to change a still perfectly fine phone for devices that don't even try to fill in all the check-boxes the V10 has.

7 hours ago, LAwLz said:

What I will tell you however is that a lot of phones have the option to disable the top so that it basically gets a "bezel", and apps won't end up below the nitch/cutout. Might be worth considering. There are also apps like "nacho notch" that does the same thing in case the phone doesn't have it built in. I do know Samsung has it built in though, but you have to do it per app for some reason.

sounds like a hack to a self made problem that didn't have to exist in the first place.

19 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

one with a defect.

yeah no, im fine like this and see no value in wireless charging, going from a dangling cable to stay perfectly still in that spot? i'll take the minute of reboot thank you very much.

And sacrificing good design choices for bad ones.

yeah, too bad the market rewards only those who stick to trends.

Maybe when the first OLEDs were introduced in phones, these days however even the cheaper panels from BOE are great.

Here's the lg v10 in comparison to a modern oled screen from a cheap xiaomi phone

Spoiler

csm_blickwinkel_1f531d764f.jpg

blickwinkel.jpg

Whats odd to me is that you seem to be fine carrying batteries and bulky wired headphones but a compact powerbank with wireless charging and a small dongle are a no go? I'm not asking you to change your phone before it breaks but too many things contradict your preferences. You'd rather not have a notch or a cutout for the phone but you'd have the home/back navigation cluster still in your screen? You'd carry headphones and batteries but a dongle and a powerbank is too much? You like the high quality recording but a modern phone that can record in higher bitrate is not good? You'd take a minute of reboot but the 5 second it takes for you to place the small powerbank behind the phone for qi charging is too inconvenient? 

2 hours ago, Kinda Bottlenecked said:

Whats odd to me is that you seem to be fine carrying batteries and bulky wired headphones but a compact powerbank with wireless charging and a small dongle are a no go? I'm not asking you to change your phone before it breaks but too many things contradict your preferences. You'd rather not have a notch or a cutout for the phone but you'd have the home/back navigation cluster still in your screen? You'd carry headphones and batteries but a dongle and a powerbank is too much? You like the high quality recording but a modern phone that can record in higher bitrate is not good? You'd take a minute of reboot but the 5 second it takes for you to place the small powerbank behind the phone for qi charging is too inconvenient? 

Nothing of what he prefers makes any sense or is coherent. As I said before, he likes to stick to old things and the way he does things out of sheer principle and stubbornness.

There is no sense in further discussing this with him. You can't force people to their luck.

15 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

only issue i got with the screen was image persistence 3 years ago, solved by replacing it. Other than that it looks fine to me, images are crisp and don't appear washed out. Colors pop out, not as much as on a samsung panel, but still good imo

Again, maybe they fixed it for the V10, but on my LG G4 they were really inaccurate.

The screen wasn't washed out or blurry, but the colors were wrong, very wrong. Bring up an image that was supposed to be neutral white and it would appear very blue. Things that were supposed to be a rather dull shade of red were very red. I thought it looked fine, but it wasn't correct. Kind of like how a lot of people think the old Beats by Dr Dre sounded good, even though they were not at all accurate. 

okay then it's one extra, small and compact, battery vs a power bank and a dongle that needs to be removed when i change source from a phone to say a PC or a console like the deck.

carrying one battery may sound inconvenient to you lot, but sure as hell it isn't as inconvenient as the solution you people are proposing here just to get me to change a still perfectly fine phone for devices that don't even try to fill in all the check-boxes the V10 has.

I am not trying to convince you to change. I don't think I could do that.

What I am trying to tell you is that there are alternatives that might actually be beneficial to you. Sometimes it is good to reevaluate our ways of doing things because it is easy to get stuck in "I don't want change because change is bad" without giving the chance a proper chance. And I am also trying to tell you that the phone described as "perfectly fine" might not be that perfectly fine anymore.

Personally, I think plugging in a cable to charge my phone (using a power bank) sounds way more convenient than having to shut the phone off, swap the battery with another one I carry with me, and then start it up again. But I would also argue that if your phone's battery needs to be swapped in the middle of the day then it might be time to get a phone with better battery life. I can go about 1,5 days with my phone, even if I use it a lot, so I just charge it every night and never have to worry about the battery during the day.

Maybe the whole "I need to carry spare batteries with me" is just something you have to do because your phone has poor battery life? Maybe with a new phone you wouldn't need to worry at all? Just something to think about.

sounds like a hack to a self made problem that didn't have to exist in the first place.

1) Why does it matter that it is a "hack" if the result is the same? You seem awfully negative for no apparent reason.

2) I don't think hole punch cameras are a "problem". I think they are fine. I got used to it after a day or so when I made the switch ~4 years ago, and at this point I actually prefer it. It gives me more screen. If anything, shouldn't getting rid of a bunch of screen space just to fill it with nothing be the "self made problem"?

On my Galaxy S22 Ultra the camera fits inside the status bar, so the content in apps doesn't end up "under it" either (unless it's a program that requires to be fullscreen, which most don't).

There are two ways to look at the hole punch.

You either see it as a bunch of "dead pixels" in the middle of the screen. That seems to be the way you view it.

I propose a different view, that it is an option that gives you MORE screen, just not exactly rectangular.

Here is a very crude comparison:

Spoiler

comparison.png.84d6d7d8c07264c30a29e4883d162da5.png

You might not agree, but I think it's pretty childish to say things like it's a "problem" just because it's a different design and you choose to see it as something bad, instead of seeing the benefits.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/2/2023 at 12:25 PM, LAwLz said:

However, I don't really see the point in it. Just get a slow charger for where you charge your phone at night. You probably want a stationary charger there anyway, in addition to your fast charger that you can carry around with you.

Below a certain threshold (I think it was 0-100 in about 1 hour) the damage to the battery is pretty much the same. So it doesn't really matter if you charge your battery over the course of 1 hour or 10 hours, it will still be just as "damaged" by the process. Charging the same amount over the course of 1 hour vs 30 minutes however, is a much bigger difference to the battery health (relatively).

You are spot on regarding using a slow charger but I would like to discuss depth of discharge and battery capacity / charge cycles, from a website all about batteries.

https://batteryuniversity.com/article/bu-808-how-to-prolong-lithium-based-batteries

https://batteryuniversity.com/img/content/DST-cycles-web2.jpg

Charging to 75% and only discharging 15%, so down to only 60% will result in 8,500 charging cycles, and maintain battery capacity near 90%

75 - 45% charge ranges result in theoretical or estimated battery charge cycles over 6,000.  If smartphone owners were not interested in camera upgrades, we could keep our devices for more than 10 years becsuse the battery would still hold an estimated 88% of original capacity after a staggering 6,500 charge cycles which only use 30% of the battery charge capacity (75-45%).

A more realistic use case for most is 75-25% resulting in an estimated 5,200 charging cycles, preserving 85% of battery capacity over that time.

85-25 is theoretically identical charge cycles, but drops capacity to slightly below 85%.

100% to 50% ranges results in 80% capacity, and similar charge cycles, near 5,500

100% to 40% is just under 80% capacity

100% to 25% is between 75 and 80% capacity and 4,500 charge cycles.

I only have about 1,500 charge cycles on my battery and I've had the same device for more than five years, so I doubt anyone here will care about this at all, becuase most people are changing cellular devices at the five year range, and many times much sooner.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

It was released in 2015 and the last OS upgrade it got was to Android 10, which was released in 2019.

But it has an unlocked bootloader and the android community brought it up to Android 11 with LineageOS.  Theoretically, it can continue to be upgraded, but is entirely dependent on the motivation, energy and care of the community.  LineageOS provides instructions on how to build a new version of LineageOS from an existing device, so theoretically there is nothing preventing it from happening.

I would also like to add that a majority or possibly all Sony Xperia devices have instructions, direct from the company, specific to every single device, to unlock the bootloader, also allowing easier community support.

Either way, many of the apps I use from F-droid only require android 6 at the most so far, and security bugs will not scare me into purchasing a new device.

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

On 9/1/2023 at 6:57 AM, Donut417 said:

This is a big reason why I went to Apple. I got sick of my phone being out of date only after a two or so years

Excluding entirely all security concerns, is there any program you used which required an updated android version that your device was unable officially to obtian?

But I would argue that after 4 years or so, it is probably time to upgrade your phone anyway. The improvements over that time are fairly big, the phone gets pretty beat up, and the battery is probably not that great either.

It would be if we didn't keep our battery charged to 100% overnight for hours on end.  It would also help considerably if nobody used fast chargers.  See my post above this one about how many charge cycles and battery capacity a li-ion battery could theoretically have with a shallow charging range, such as 75-25% or even 60-40.

On 9/8/2023 at 7:30 AM, Kisai said:

Android users tend to not expect their devices to last 2 years, because Google didn't intend for them to last 2 years. These devices were made for the people who view phones as disposable.

I hope not!  My phone is over six years of use, and still stuck on Android 8, similarly as "open to malware" as:

On 9/8/2023 at 2:01 PM, suicidalfranco said:

Bank app works fine so 🤷 meh

This poster is still on android 6!  My banking app is also supported on android 8 but I find that to be way too much of a risk, having an app for my bank just seems idiotic when I can just use their website.

On 9/11/2023 at 4:02 AM, LAwLz said:

Just because you haven't had an issue does not mean it is safe or a good idea.

Is there ANY android malware in the wild that can overtake the built in recovery / stock system?  Google has set up this entire system in a means to force a person to change the hardware to patch the software.  I say this is needless electronic waste and I think the waste FAR outweighs any software or malware issues.  This whole industry has been purposely designed for a revolving upgrade cycle, entirely artificially for monetary greed.

The hardware bugs could be patched, and I would gladly pay for such support, but the option does not exist.  This is because ALL of these company have put profits before morals.  It is a choice that affects at minimum, hundreds of thousands of people in Africa, South America and that other obvious area, where the workers are literally jumping out of windows.  To "solve" that issue, safety nets were put on the windows to prevent this.

This is a HORRIBLE sickening industry and it is not exciting, nor does it provide any benefit to any part of the human race to support.  But we are addicted to these devices like sugar, and continue to upgrade in the idea of security patches, better cameras, and new batteries.

On 9/11/2023 at 1:13 PM, suicidalfranco said:

A removable battery cause they are disposable

O.K. no li-ion batteries are not disposable, you should definitely send those to a recycling facility to pull out whatever can be. 

I'm surprised the LG V10 has a removable battery, I also love the LCD screen, as only very new oled displays use 18,000 hz refresh rates, vs the incredibly visible 235hz that is very fatiguing to view, lower brightness is also worse, so I prefer the lcd.

Regarding software support the V20 has lineageOS support, are you able to unlock your bootloader, or hopefully you already have?

https://web.archive.org/web/20201112024941/https://developer.lge.com/resource/mobile/RetrieveBootloader.dev?categoryId=CTULRS0702

I love the internet archive!  I wonder if the instructions above can be used and a unofficial key of any kind can be used.  The command for generating the key could possibly link to a simplistic text file to bypass this stupid software lock.  If that part is able to be forged, you can unlock your bootloader.  Then, you can even get a build of LineageOS 14 for your device.

Using LineageOS 14, you can use that base to build a new image of LineageOS using the process on the website.  I wish these arbitrary bootloader locks would become illegal once the manufacturer stops issuing updates, as it accelerates electronic waste at an overwhelming rate.

On 9/13/2023 at 6:32 AM, LAwLz said:
On 9/13/2023 at 4:43 AM, suicidalfranco said:

one with a defect.

I am pretty sure this is one of those things you object to because of principles and/or "it's what I am used to so I don't want to change", so I won't try and convince you one way or the other.

What I will tell you however is that a lot of phones have the option to disable the top so that it basically gets a "bezel"

I will never accept a camera taking up space in the middle of my screen.  I would find it very distracting, I am starting to get tired of seeing the status bar at the top all the time too.  Firefox's reader mode, for only a short time allowed the clock and some other elements to be light grey and removed a couple icons.

Does LineageOS, /e/OS, or any android device with stock system allow autohide of the status bar?

Software suggestions