Is there a performance loss on with the RX 7600 on pcie 3?

Filingo

Hello

From what I understand the rx 6650 xt uses 8 lanes and on pcie 3 motherboards there is a performance loss.

Is it the same with the 7600?

Thanks

12 minutes ago, Filingo said:

From what I understand the rx 6650 xt uses 8 lanes and on pcie 3 motherboards there is a performance loss.

8 Lanes

1 minute ago, Ottoman420 said:

8 Lanes only 😞

you say that as if 8 lanes is bad for an "entry-level" GPU 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, GOTSpectrum said:

you say that as if 8 lanes is bad for an "entry-level" GPU 

True. I just dont like how they are cutting down these cards so hard, limiting performance for that section of the market who are more likley to have budget or older hardware.

2 minutes ago, Ottoman420 said:

True. I just dont like how they are cutting down these cards so hard, limiting performance for that section of the market who are more likley to have budget or older hardware.

Although I see your thinking, lowering the lane count saves money which makes the product cheaper. Reduces the number of layers needed for the board, reduces complexity which increases the speed of manufacture and means you can have less balls on the package to the board saving yet more time and also increasing reliability meaning higher packaging yields 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

The difference in performance is very small. Generally about 3%. There are some rare outliers that have a big performance hit, but they are very few and far between.

Here's a chart showing the performance difference from PCIe 3.0 to 4.0 from Hardware Unboxed's RX 6600 XT review - which is a card that has very similar performance.

image.thumb.png.c04334afc2a058577f2196938699375d.png

x8 vs x16 isn't that big of a deal. It's the x4 cards like the RX 6400 and RX 6500 XT where you need to be concerned if you're running a PCIe Gen 3 system. In those cases, the loss is more like 20%.

40 minutes ago, Filingo said:

Hello

Thanks

PCIe 3.0 8x would be effectively PCIe 2.0 16x in this. So ~6%, but that's assuming your CPU can drive the framerate high enough to make it matter which arguably a non PCIe 4.0 capable CPU+motherboard wouldn't anyways.

I would speculate that anything but a 5800x3D on a B450 motherboard running PCIe 3.0 8x on an RX 7600/4060/etc wouldn't loose much if any performance, since any other combination that wouldn't be capable of PCIe 4.0 would be more limited by CPU performance than not having PCIe 4.0.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 PCI-Express Scaling - Relative Performance | TechPowerUp

Noting that this test is done with a 5800x, which is no slouch of a CPU, so anything less than that is likely to not see as much of a difference, if any, especially if its prior to Ryzen 3000 or 11th gen Intel.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

1 hour ago, Filingo said:

Hello

Thanks

From what I understand the performance difference is minimal until you run out of vram. You can easily fix this issue by lowering textures to try and limit vram usage so you don't run out of vram.