LMG censor Reddit

illuanonx
55 minutes ago, illuanonx said:

To my understanding LMG's subreddit mod's, don't own Reddit 😉 It's public space, and not private. I guess you own your house?

But reddit is a company, owned by somebody... if they don't want you for whatever reason you have to accept it (with very few exceptions, like foodstores, etc under certain circumstances) 

On the contrary right now "public spaces " like reddit etc are bound by law that no disturbing, unlawful, etc content is hosted on their platforms, so if you don't agree with the way they're doing this you would have to deal with lawmakers, not reddit directly necessarily,  its still not censorship,  just normal procedure,  you're completely free to host your own platform as well as an alternative option 😉  )

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

17 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

But reddit is a company, owned by somebody... if they don't want you for whatever reason you have to accept it (with very few exceptions, like foodstores, etc under certain circumstances) 

On the contrary right now "public spaces " like reddit etc are bound by law that no disturbing, unlawful, etc content is hosted on their platforms, so if you don't agree with the way they're doing this you would have to deal with lawmakers, not reddit directly necessarily,  its still not censorship,  just normal procedure,  you're completely free to host your own platform as well as an alternative option 😉  )

Lets just agree, to disagree 😉

22 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

LTT has no direct control over the Reddit subforum. They are likely implementing restrictions so that new users do not come in and flood the site with arguments. 

The LTT Forums, on the other hand are hosted by LMG, but are run entirely by volunteers and are not officially LMG staff. We allow all criticisms, discussions and comments so long as they are civil and follow the Community Standards.

Staff even allowed the dude who called the suicide of a youtuber and his mother a "fantasy story" to keep his post up, despite how toxic that was.

I think some moderation of things, like the mocking the suicides of people who were harassed by the LTT community, would be good.

13 hours ago, illuanonx said:

There has to be a relation and influence between /r/LinusTechTips and LMG. The censorship benefits LMG at this moment. I understand its damage control, but IMO does it hurt more, than what they gain of it. It fall in line with the bad behavior of LMG so far. 

You could also look at it with Occam's Razor. It benefits the mods. There was going to be so much to moderate and adding the limit would immediately cut way down on the sheer magnitude to a point they thought they could then be able to handle. Does that probably benefit Linus? Likely yes, but it definitely helps the mods slow down the firehose

10 hours ago, illuanonx said:

Lets just agree, to disagree 😉

yes sure   but my suggestion stands, if you think this is wrong i encourage you to take action,  go to a lawyer,  fight for your right not to be censored...!

making forum posts about this is unlikely to change the situation,  you have to take matters in your hands, make your voice heard /count! I dunno. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

11 hours ago, Sdwerd said:

You could also look at it with Occam's Razor. It benefits the mods. There was going to be so much to moderate and adding the limit would immediately cut way down on the sheer magnitude to a point they thought they could then be able to handle. Does that probably benefit Linus? Likely yes, but it definitely helps the mods slow down the firehose

Many times the karma limits are also to prevent bot influx, at least back before the Reddit changes, when a thread got viral the spam bots flooded in making it so you could either set it so that the automod was extremely harsh, set karma limits to post, or set all comments to need manual approval.  

this was a few years ago I was modding and I quit cause it was a lot of work so it might have changed but my 2 cents

3 minutes ago, Thepyrodex said:

Many times the karma limits are also to prevent bot influx, at least back before the Reddit changes, when a thread got viral the spam bots flooded in making it so you could either set it so that the automod was extremely harsh, set karma limits to post, or set all comments to need manual approval.  

this was a few years ago I was modding and I quit cause it was a lot of work so it might have changed but my 2 cents

Yeah pretty much this.
It's entirely to prevent spam/uncontrollable scenarios. The controversy spread so far I'm sure they had tons and tons of people flooding in from outside the subreddit to comment. I mean heck I'm not part of the LTT subreddit and originally they just had member-only commenting on.

Not to mention that it's not like LMG themselves owns the subreddit lmao.

This thread is so dumb I'm genuinely surprised it didn't get locked, let alone made it past the first page.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

2 minutes ago, Jerakl said:

Yeah pretty much this.
It's entirely to prevent spam/uncontrollable scenarios. The controversy spread so far I'm sure they had tons and tons of people flooding in from outside the subreddit to comment. I mean heck I'm not part of the LTT subreddit and originally they just had member-only commenting on.

Not to mention that it's not like LMG themselves owns the subreddit lmao.

This thread is so dumb I'm genuinely surprised it didn't get locked, let alone made it past the first page.

I mean the outrage threads are extreme.

one of the ones I just saw was saying Linus is criminally keeping wild mice in his garage lololol

entertaining though

2 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

yes sure   but my suggestion stands, if you think this is wrong i encourage you to take action,  go to a lawyer,  fight for your right not to be censored...!

making forum posts about this is unlikely to change the situation,  you have to take matters in your hands, make your voice heard /count! I dunno. 

Com'on, lawyer really 😛

4 minutes ago, illuanonx said:

Com'on, lawyer really 😛

Does Canada have a “free speech” thing like the USA or is it more “open” than ours.  In the US the only group that CANT censor you is the government, companies and people can censor you all they want legally, as long as they are not using government powers to do it.

1 hour ago, Thepyrodex said:

only group that CANT censor you is the government, companies and people can censor you all they want legally, as long as

My point is LMG has decided to censor the subreddit. I don't care if they have the right to do so. My point is, they have decided to do so. Bad behavior IMO 😉

yeah there is nothing illegal about this. its a private social media company and they can do what they like. 

It's just not cool

3 minutes ago, illuanonx said:

My point is LMG has decided to censor the subreddit. I don't care if they have the right to do so. My point is, they have decided to do so. Bad behavior IMO 😉

No LMG have not.  Dont makeup accusations when we already have real ones to deal with, you will confuse readers

2 minutes ago, Sasha2D said:

yeah there is nothing illegal about this. its a private social media company and they can do what they like. 

It's just not cool

?
Its not even a company, its an unofficial, but recognized fan club.

4 minutes ago, illuanonx said:

But they don’t run the subreddit 

1 minute ago, starsmine said:

No LMG have not.  Dont makeup accusations when we already have real ones to deal with, you will confuse readers

LMG staff is mod's on the subreddit. That is a fact. Don't confuse the readers.

9 minutes ago, starsmine said:

?
Its not even a company, its an unofficial, but recognized fan club.

Reddit = Private social media company, so anything anybody does on it is not against free speech 

8 minutes ago, Sasha2D said:

Reddit = Private social media company, so anything anybody does on it is not against free speech 

Reddit is not the one changing the rules here.

its a platform like... wordpress or mastadon are.

9 minutes ago, illuanonx said:

Yea, but they don't moderate the subreddit. we already went through this. 

Their job is to be there as someone the company can call at 2am when someone posts private information about Linus's kids or something else horrendous. As the subreddit mods (all three of them) are under zero obligation to answer that call.

Given that three mods moderate that page, the brigading HAS to be cut off or the job would be impossible. 
Dont act like you, a person who is not part of the community, and the literal 10 thousand other brigaders have anything PRODUCTIVE to say.

8 minutes ago, starsmine said:

Reddit is not the one changing the rules here.

its a platform like... wordpress or mastadon are.

Yeah and you can block/suppress things over there too. WordPress is just a website creation suite, you don't even need to have comments.

What is your point?

SOMEBODY is doing it, and it's bad, and its legal. 

11 minutes ago, Thepyrodex said:

But they don’t run the subreddit 

they don't run it, they only moderate it 

like lmg didn't sell that billet prototype, they auctioned it

25 minutes ago, starsmine said:

Yea, but they don't moderate the subreddit. we already went through this.

You are quite naive 🙂

What circles are we even running around in right now? What is the point?

37 minutes ago, illuanonx said:

Tou don’t understand how the mod structure works on Reddit.

2 minutes ago, Thepyrodex said:

Tou don’t understand how the mod structure works on Reddit.

Enlightening me 🙂 

idk how this thread hasnt been locked yet considering all the others that have. this person has like 3 posts from 2 years ago(also complaining about linus) and reappears to whine about being locked out of the subreddit. You clearly have nothing productive to add to the discourse about what is going on, and want access to whine, which is what they are trying to avoid; loading up the feed with the same posts.

If you have real stuff to say, include it in the post in this forum, otherwise give it up. If you have so many issues with LTT and no solutions, then best to unsub from youtube, log off of this account, and enjoy that you arent allowed to post on the subreddit, and move on.

INB4  "i don't hate linus, just hate censorship ;)" reply

1 minute ago, matt0725 said:

idk how this thread hasnt been locked yet considering all the others that have. this person has like 3 posts from 2 years ago(also complaining about linus) and reappears to whine about being locked out of the subreddit. You clearly have nothing productive to add to the discourse about what is going on, and want access to whine, which is what they are trying to avoid; loading up the feed with the same posts.

If you have real stuff to say, include it in the post in this forum, otherwise give it up. If you have so many issues with LTT and no solutions, then best to unsub from youtube, log off of this account, and enjoy that you arent allowed to post on the subreddit, and move on.

INB4  "i don't hate linus, just hate censorship ;)" reply

nah. the hate not gonna spread by itself. we need OP to tell the whole world that Linus = baby eating devil 

/s