LMG censor Reddit

illuanonx
21 minutes ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Nah it's called 'not being allowed in an exclusive club' 🫠

I don't want to be in your club haha 😛

56 minutes ago, Erioch said:

Why is it silly?  You say it's censorship that you can't post until some milestone happens (their rules).  You can't post here until you follow their rules.  Every forum, if they're smart, have some entry level barrier to post.  It's not censorship.

Go earn the 50 whatevers they require.

Because at this moment it's a catch-22.

Not really sure I'd call it censorship, but it is not at all like what is happening on this forum.

On this forum, you sign up, and then you can post.

On the LinusTechTips subreddit, you can not under any circumstances as a new user post until the rules change. It is currently a gated community and the only people allowed in are those that have been inside earlier.

It is clearly a different situation. 

57 minutes ago, Erioch said:

Never?

No, you will never be allowed to post on the LinusTechTips subreddit with the current restrictions in place.

It's not that your Reddit account needs 50 karma overall. It needs 50 karma specifically in the LinusTechTips subreddit.

You need 50 karma to post, but in order to be able to get karma you need to post, but you aren't allowed to post without karma.

See the issue? It's called a "catch-22". 

12 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

No, you will never be allowed to post on the LinusTechTips subreddit with the current restrictions in place.

It's not that your Reddit account needs 50 karma overall. It needs 50 karma specifically in the LinusTechTips subreddit.

You need 50 karma to post, but in order to be able to get karma you need to post, but you aren't allowed to post without karma.

See the issue? It's called a "catch-22". 

Gotcha.  I don't know much about reddit.

2 hours ago, Erioch said:

Go earn the 50 whatevers they require.

you can't earn 50 karma, because that requires people to upvote your posts or comments... and you can't post or comment because you don't have 50 karma 

only people who got 50 karma BEFORE this rule can now post and comment in that subreddit

but I'm not saying the rule is bad, I 100% agree with it being there temporarily if their mod team can't handle it without it

but they should be more clear about connection to LMG, since half of mods are LMG staff yet they call themself "unofficial" 

3 hours ago, illuanonx said:

Because you cant compare them 😉  On Reddit I will never be able to post by there current rules. On this site I can.

Hey man, sounds like you're a bit confused - you can post on the LTT subreddit starting sometime tomorrow (Saturday). You should read the pinned post at the top of the LTT sub:

Many others have explained why this is the case and it is a VERY normal action taken by subreddits when **** hit the fan in their community.

At this point there's really nothing more to add, and every message you post just makes you look more like a troll, this thread should be locked.

I just saw this topic so I'll post this here as well

If anyone is wondering why Reddit's sub is largely filled with hateful LTT comments is because LTT's subreddit top moderator started banning anyone who doesn't believe the Madison's story while calling them incels.

https://old.reddit.com/r/LinusTechTips/comments/15szmdj/mods_need_to_step_it_up/jwh47xi/ I

image.thumb.png.bfbab9e634aab1a62a2f45a23ac671ba.png

12 minutes ago, Someona said:

I just saw this topic so I'll post this here as well

If anyone is wondering why Reddit's sub is largely filled with hateful LTT comments is because LTT's subreddit top moderator started banning anyone who doesn't believe the Madison's story while calling them incels.

https://old.reddit.com/r/LinusTechTips/comments/15szmdj/mods_need_to_step_it_up/jwh47xi/ I

image.thumb.png.bfbab9e634aab1a62a2f45a23ac671ba.png

This is the state of the world we live in now. 

For many people, you are now guilty until proven innocent. 

And then you are still guilty and paid people off. 

5 minutes ago, m9x3mos said:

This is the state of the world we live in now. 

For many people, you are now guilty until proven innocent. 

And then you are still guilty and paid people off. 

We are going back to our tribal roots. Pick a side. You best not pick wrong though.

45 minutes ago, pattw555 said:

Hey man, sounds like you're a bit confused - you can post on the LTT subreddit starting sometime tomorrow (Saturday). You should read the pinned post at the top of the LTT sub:

Many others have explained why this is the case and it is a VERY normal action taken by subreddits when **** hit the fan in their community.

At this point there's really nothing more to add, and every message you post just makes you look more like a troll, this thread should be locked.

I simply doesn't agree with you.

33 minutes ago, illuanonx said:

I simply doesn't agree with you.

You don’t agree that you can start posting tomorrow? Ok then, don’t!

30 minutes ago, pattw555 said:

You don’t agree that you can start posting tomorrow? Ok then, don’t!

You just want to argue, don't you? 🙂

6 hours ago, illuanonx said:

That is censorship

well technically it really isn't.  u want to come to my house, after this little escapade, i don't allow it obviously.  so you cannot talk to me in *my* house,  this is not "censorship" this is *my right*.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

33 minutes ago, illuanonx said:

You just want to argue, don't you? 🙂

Nah man, you’re getting the wrong impression! Let’s continue the discussion over on the subreddit! Oh wait… you cant! 🤣 /ignore

36 minutes ago, pattw555 said:

Nah man, you’re getting the wrong impression! Let’s continue the discussion over on the subreddit! Oh wait… you cant! 🤣 /ignore

The same bad behavior like Linus I see 😉

41 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

well technically it really isn't.  u want to come to my house, after this little escapade, i don't allow it obviously.  so you cannot talk to me in *my* house,  this is not "censorship" this is *my right*.

To my understanding LMG's subreddit mod's, don't own Reddit 😉 It's public space, and not private. I guess you own your house?

Somehow I had more than enough say. specific karma and am able to post!

Also forgot I was part of the Discord, gotta get up on the drama there too!

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

20 minutes ago, illuanonx said:

To my understanding LMG's subreddit mod's, don't own Reddit 😉 It's public space, and not private. I guess you own your house?

Users start subreddits and the mods of individual subreddits are generally left to run them as they see fit, including setting rules for who can participate and what topics of discussion to allow or disallow. So, yes, in a very real sense "My house, my rules" is a principle that applies with the mods of a particular sub. Reddit generally doesn't intervene unless a particular subreddit gets toxic enough that it results in bad publicity for reddit as a whole or unless moderators try to actively reduce traffic to reddit, as in the case of the protests about reddit's API changes earlier this summer which resulted in many popular subreddits having their moderation teams replaced. 

You really seem like you don't know much about how reddit works in general. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

6 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Users start subreddits and the mods of individual subreddits are generally left to run them as they see fit, including setting rules for who can participate and what topics of discussion to allow or disallow. So, yes, in a very real sense "My house, my rules" is a principle that applies with the mods of a particular sub. Reddit generally doesn't intervene unless a particular subreddit gets toxic enough that it results in bad publicity for reddit as a whole or unless moderators try to actively reduce traffic to reddit, as in the case of the protests about reddit's API changes earlier this summer which resulted in many popular subreddits having their moderation teams replaced. 

You really seem like you don't know much about how reddit works in general. 

I have had my users for years. So I know how it works. And sad to see this subreddit is being censored.

2 minutes ago, illuanonx said:

I have had my users for years. So I know how it works. And sad to see this subreddit is being censored.

Congratulations.

The people here have no power over that subreddit?

Just now, illuanonx said:

And sad to see this subreddit is being censored.

Inaccurate use of the term "censorship" aside, you still seem to be laboring under a misconception that the restrictions on the subreddit are in place to silence criticism of LMG. Nothing could be further from the truth. As others have pointed out, the mod staff there has been quite open about the fact they give credence to the allegations/criticisms against LMG.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

2 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Inaccurate use of the term "censorship" aside, you still seem to be laboring under a misconception that the restrictions on the subreddit are in place to silence criticism of LMG. Nothing could be further from the truth. As others have pointed out, the mod staff there has been quite open about the fact they give credence to the allegations/criticisms against LMG.

I don't agree with you. I believe you are wrong 😉

6 minutes ago, CerberusLabrat said:

The people here have no power over that subreddit?

There are LMG staff here and the subreddit. So I believe you are mistaken 😉

Just now, illuanonx said:

I don't agree with you. I believe you are wrong 😉

People have posted screenshots showing the stance the mod team has taken. You are free to believe whatever you want to believe, but if you are determined to believe it just for the sake of having a grievance and can't muster anything more meaningful when people show you evidence your belief is wrong than "I disagree," then nobody is missing out from you not being able to contribute your insights to reddit. 

It's rather obvious the "reasoning" you've followed is:

1. LMG is bad (simplistic, although there is much they've done recently that's disappointing and could prove to be downright deplorable)

2. The LTT subreddit is an official "organ" of LMG (this is simply incorrect)

3. The LTT subreddit isn't letting anybody post anything they want whenever they want

4. The only reason for (3) must be to silence criticism of LMG because of (1) and (2)

And now you won't let go of this line of logic even when people have showed you that your premises are false. If you're so vehement in your disdain for LTT, you should be happy that criticism of them is actually not being "censored," but apparently you would rather it was because it gives you additional reason to be angry.

I can't speak about Reddit since I haven't been there for several years now and frankly I don't miss it.
However.....

Looks to me it's the same basic thing as when a forum gets spammed to hell and back, forcing the staff to temporarily suspend new accounts from being created to get all the spam under control, hence the "Catch 22" thing going on right now.

And I'm not suprised this is what's (Probrably) going on ATM, look at the obvious thread(s) and posts related to all the drama that's been unleashed here this week for example.
One thread, less than a week old has gotten ATM 322 pages posted and 1.2m views...... That's ALOT of views and posts created, much of it being of the troll and spam variety. 

I'm sure Reddit also got hammered but good over it and although things have slowed a bit, doesn't mean it's over yet and now here comes the weekend...

I'm just glad I'm not a mod over there.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

5 minutes ago, Middcore said:

People have posted screenshots showing the stance the mod team has taken. You are free to believe whatever you want to believe, but if you are determined to believe it just for the sake of having a grievance and can't muster anything more meaningful when people show you evidence your belief is wrong than "I disagree," then nobody is missing out from you not being able to contribute your insights to reddit. 

It's rather obvious the "reasoning" you've followed is:

1. LMG is bad (simplistic, although there is much they've done recently that's disappointing and could prove to be downright deplorable)

2. The LTT subreddit is an official "organ" of LMG (this is simply incorrect)

3. The LTT subreddit isn't letting anybody post anything they want whenever they want

4. The only reason for (3) must be to silence criticism of LMG because of (1) and (2)

And now you won't let go of this line of logic even when people have showed you that your premises are false. If you're so vehement in your disdain for LTT, you should be happy that criticism of them is actually not being "censored," but apparently you would rather it was because it gives you additional reason to be angry.

I'm not angry. I'm happy Linus now can feel what he has done to others, for so many years. I can hope he become a better person, that will reflect on the company 🙂