LMG censor Reddit

illuanonx
47 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

This is not true. 

While the subreddit is advertised as "unofficial", a large portion of moderators on it are LMG employees.

Only a couple are, and they are there only for doxing purposes and legal problems so that LMG has people on call to clean up a dox as soon as notified since the mods are not actually contractually obligated to delete content. Like someone finding the address of a worker or their kids and posting it there.

LMG can call up a community manager at 2 am, they cant call up /r/mods.

47 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I believe the mod who implemented the change is not an LMG employee (I'd have to look that up), but the fact remains that a large portion of the mod team are LMG employees. 

I don't really like this "it's unofficial! (but we have the power to do whatever we want on it)" attitude. 

I think LMG needs to decide. Is it an official subreddit? Then they can moderate it if they want. 

If it's suppose to be an unofficial subreddit then they can't have several employees as moderators. It should be 100% community moderated. 

They can't have it both ways. 

It isnt official, they dont moderate it. 

Think it's just so they don't get inundated with new users. If they wanted to astroturf, this forum would be shut down or filled with only positive comments circle jerking.

3 hours ago, illuanonx said:

As a new user on Reddit, I am not allowed to write in /r/LinusTechTips. I need 50 karma points, to write - otherwise it will be deleted. So basically I can not write on the sub and earn points.

Why do LTT censor me and is this really the road LMG want to take?

Knowing how fast a discussion can devolve into a total post-apocalyptic like shit-flinging, how much a cesspool a Subreddit can be, and how far some peoples are willing to go just for the sake of winning an argument.
I am not surprised if they suddenly implement such thing.

Saying you're censored just because of that is taking it waay too far though.  You're just not permitted to post something until you're proven not a bot/burner account.

I mean, the last time I checked, the master threads of the current situations in this forum is still somewhat mud-flinging afterall.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

21 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

You're just not permitted to post something until you're proven not a bot/burner account.

I can not prove anything, since I can not write in the sub. I'm not allowed on the sub as a new user. That is censorship 🙃

20 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Why join reddit for a single purpose of being critical when you have the space for it here? From a mods perspective you are a troll. 

I thought this was common Reddit knowledge, I couldn't post in multiple subreddits when I first signed up for it.  Sure it was annoying, but it's not censorship. Lol

1 minute ago, illuanonx said:

I can not prove anything, since I can not write in the sub. I'm not allowed on the sub as a new user. That is censorship 🙃

And you cannot post here without creating an account.  Is that censorship?

1 minute ago, IrishDiem said:

Why join reddit for a single purpose of being critical when you have the space for it here? From a mods perspective you are a troll. 

I have a user on Reddit, so make sense to write in that sub also 😉

Just now, Erioch said:

And you cannot post here without creating an account.  Is that censorship?

Now you just being silly 😛

1 minute ago, illuanonx said:

I have a user on Reddit, so make sense to write in that sub also

fine - change the word reddit to subreddit. 

1 hour ago, starsmine said:

Only a couple are, and they are there only for doxing purposes and legal problems so that LMG has people on call to clean up a dox as soon as notified since the mods are not actually contractually obligated to delete content. Like someone finding the address of a worker or their kids and posting it there.

LMG can call up a community manager at 2 am, they cant call up /r/mods.

That sounds like a pretty bad excuse to me, because if someone wanted to doxx them then they could do that on other subreddits, or 4chan, or some other site. It's not like it is impossible to post information about Linus' kids on any subreddit other than /r/LinusTechTips. That also assumes that the LMG staff is more active on the subreddit than the non-LMG staff, which again brings up the question of "can it really be called unofficial".

There are also a ton of subreddits that don't need paid staff to be able to moderate their subreddits. In fact, it is written in Reddit's etiquette rules that you should not take on moderator positions in communities where your employment poses a direct conflict of interest to the neutral and user-driven nature of reddit.

If that is the standard on Reddit, then I don't see why LMG would need to break that standard.

1 hour ago, starsmine said:

It isnt official, they dont moderate it. 

They have disabled the public modlog so we can't actually verify if this is true.

7 minutes ago, illuanonx said:

Now you just being silly 😛

Why is it silly?  You say it's censorship that you can't post until some milestone happens (their rules).  You can't post here until you follow their rules.  Every forum, if they're smart, have some entry level barrier to post.  It's not censorship.

Go earn the 50 whatevers they require.

4 hours ago, illuanonx said:

As a new user on Reddit, I am not allowed to write in /r/LinusTechTips. I need 50 karma points, to write - otherwise it will be deleted. So basically I can not write on the sub and earn points.

I've been censored too. They banned me and didn't give any reason why

The subreddit was overtaken by ragebaiting users. You are free to comment on the forum.

Just now, deathrow said:

I've been censored too. They banned me and didn't give any reason why

Please post a screenshot of the comment and the PM of your ban reason.

1 minute ago, Erioch said:

Why is it silly?  You say it's censorship that you can't post until some milestone happens (their rules).  You can't post here until you follow their rules.  Every forum, if they're smart, have some entry level barrier to post.  It's not censorship.

Go earn the 50 whatevers they require.

Because you cant compare them 😉  On Reddit I will never be able to post by there current rules. On this site I can.

16 minutes ago, illuanonx said:

I can not prove anything, since I can not write in the sub. I'm not allowed on the sub. That is censorship 🙃

Censorship hammer is more to "applied to everyone".

You can just discuss or argue here no?

People who can post in there & here is still posting no ?

Also, what's the point of censoring shit if the news already been covered & published on several big tech news sites ?

It should be done before that point.

15 minutes ago, IrishDiem said:

Wrong person to quote mate 😛

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

Just now, illuanonx said:

Because you cant compare them 😉  On Reddit I will never be able to post by there current rules. On this site I can.

Never?

3 hours ago, Mertrodome said:

Honestly I think it did just get pretty out of hand for the moderators over there - arguments in every thread, dozens of reposts of the same screenshot of a tweet, etc.

It's frustrating because I've wanted to reply to a couple of folk there and been unable to (not even about the core issues at hand, but side topics deep within threads). But I get it - they had a huge influx of people from places like r/all and from other sites once the news began to break more widely.

I genuinely don't think it's censorship - if anything the sentiment over there currently is very much against LMG right now. I think it's just the moderators trying to find some way to keep things manageable.

Considering how many new users are posting random rants about videos as they dig through the library to find every wrong move made. The LTT subreddit is a cesspool right now and I wouldn't want to be a moderator there right now.

1 minute ago, Erioch said:

Never?

That is correct. I need 50 subreddit point to be able to post. I can only get points by posting 😉

Just now, illuanonx said:

That is correct. I need 50 subreddit point to be able to post. I can only get points by posting 😉

Post somewhere else.  I'll even give you the 3 point I have from whatever I did there.

Just now, Erioch said:

Post somewhere else.  I'll even give you the 3 point I have from whatever I did there.

They need point specific from that subreddit I can't post in 😉

7 minutes ago, illuanonx said:

They need point specific from that subreddit I can't post in 😉

Cool, wait for stuff to cool down so you can then post rather then being part of the brigading they are trying to pause.

normally you can post, YOU being a NEW person who is NOT a member of the community until now can wait with the rest of the raging brigaders that add zero to the conversation.

(you realize people got 50 points before, think to yourself, how was that possible if they are not allowed to post).

If you have anything of any value you want to add, the forums here still allow new accounts, though I think the mod team here would be well within their right to put a week moratorium on that as well. 

39 minutes ago, illuanonx said:

Nah it's called 'not being allowed in an exclusive club' 🫠

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |