Looking for a new (midrange) phone!

Computernaut

I've had my current phone, an LG G6, for two years now. I love it for many reasons, but it's practically geriatric by smartphone standards and is starting to show some of that age.

I looked at quite a few reviews today, but I want to make the most informed decision possible and it's been a while since I was properly tapped into the smartphone world.

In general, these are my requirements:

• Budget: CAD $250-$500
  • 3.5mm jack
  • MicroSD or 256+ GB
  • Good rear camera
  • Fingerprint reader

There are also some "bonus" features/qualifications I might be willing to part with if the phone is on the cheaper end:

• IP ingress protection
  • 90+ Hz display
  • Good speakers
  • Mainstream/well-known brand

With all that in mind, I was looking at the Motorola Moto G72. I also really liked the Samsung Galaxy A54 and the Google Pixel 6a, but they don't have a headphone jack so unless I can find a really good deal on one, I'm not too inclined to do that.

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

You're not on a contract?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

5 minutes ago, dizmo said:

You're not on a contract?

No. I prefer the flexibility and ownership of having an unlocked device that I can do what I want with.

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

11 minutes ago, Computernaut said:

No. I prefer the flexibility and ownership of having an unlocked device that I can do what I want with.

Do you actually find that useful though? Genuinely curious.

I've done the unlocked device thing, and a lot of the time it simply didn't work out to be that worthwhile. I don't change carriers every year.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

45 minutes ago, Computernaut said:

There are also some "bonus" features/qualifications I might be willing to part with if the phone is on the cheaper end:

• IP ingress protection
  • 90+ Hz display
  • Good speakers
  • Mainstream/well-known brand

It's kinda hard to find phone that checks all the list here

As far as I know, Samsung lower lineup still offers Headphone jack

Probably the 'top' line that still offers jack slot is Samsung Galaxy A24

There are some higher lineup that do offers headphone jack such as Asus Zenfone 9/10 that MKBHD do like, especially in compact form factor, but it's way beyond of your 500 Canadian rubble dollar budget and no storage expansion slot

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

And Laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45 for mobility

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

9 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I've done the unlocked device thing, and a lot of the time it simply didn't work out to be that worthwhile. I don't change carriers every year.

It does help with resale value a bit if you care about that, if you decide you don't like it and want to switch you aren't paying massive cancelation fees to do so, if you're doing any sort of modding it's the only way to get an unlockable bootloader, and a lot of times going through the contract will end up being more expensive than just buying the phone outright over time, though that last point can depend a bit on the carrier itself. 

For most people, it doesn't really matter, and the $500-1000 you can save up front with an extra $5-10 attached to your phone bill can be the better decision financially, but there are still reasons to stick to the unlocked devices. 

No specific recommendations, this is a rather tight budget range and getting a headphone jack in general is next to impossible. It's probably worth just going for the Pixel 6a, or since the Pixel 8 is coming out in a month or so you might be able to score a deal on a Pixel 7(a).

13 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It does help with resale value a bit if you care about that, if you decide you don't like it and want to switch you aren't paying massive cancelation fees to do so, if you're doing any sort of modding it's the only way to get an unlockable bootloader, and a lot of times going through the contract will end up being more expensive than just buying the phone outright over time, though that last point can depend a bit on the carrier itself. 

For most people, it doesn't really matter, and the $500-1000 you can save up front with an extra $5-10 attached to your phone bill can be the better decision financially, but there are still reasons to stick to the unlocked devices. 

No specific recommendations, this is a rather tight budget range and getting a headphone jack in general is next to impossible. It's probably worth just going for the Pixel 6a, or since the Pixel 8 is coming out in a month or so you might be able to score a deal on a Pixel 7(a).

Not really, the phone isn't locked once you complete the contract. It then becomes an unlocked device.

There also aren't really massive cancellation fees, as they're capped to $50 or 10% of the monthly fee x contract term, whichever is less.

If you shop smartly the phone is always cheaper. I got my Pixel 7 at Christmas, and they gave me $50 to take it.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

39 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Not really, the phone isn't locked once you complete the contract. It then becomes an unlocked device.

Not exactly, there are still some remnants of being locked, you can't unlock the bootloader (admittedly not a major factor, but still) and I've seen some phones where the carrier locked version doesn't get software updates for as long (LG G6 from Sprint, for instance). 

42 minutes ago, dizmo said:

If you shop smartly the phone is always cheaper. I got my Pixel 7 at Christmas, and they gave me $50 to take it.

I'd still be curious about the actual contract agreements, a lot of times those still will have rates that are higher than if you had just gotten a no-contract plan, to the point where you aren't saving as much money as you'd think you are. 

Personally I've looked into getting one of those with my phone plan, it would double my monthly rate to get a deal like that, though admittedly I am grandfathered into an old unlimited plan so the price difference is a bit more obvious. 

59 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I'd still be curious about the actual contract agreements, a lot of times those still will have rates that are higher than if you had just gotten a no-contract plan, to the point where you aren't saving as much money as you'd think you are. 

Personally I've looked into getting one of those with my phone plan, it would double my monthly rate to get a deal like that, though admittedly I am grandfathered into an old unlimited plan so the price difference is a bit more obvious. 

In the US maybe, but that's not at all the case in Canada. Unless you go for very low data capped pay as you go plans.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

8 hours ago, dizmo said:

I can't not have an unlocked phone, but maybe that's the European speaking in me as I often travel to nearby countries and just pop in a local SIM for best deals on all data and calls. Some networks and carriers might allow a free unlocked 2nd, even 3rd sim slot but that's an exception. Unlocked device you never have to worry about that.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

Have a browse at what you might like and what's available in your region. I'd say at the budget market the appeal is either the Chinese phones because hardware wise they'll be afloat to the competition, Samsung often rides on its branding in the budget range or Nokia cause they seem to be very reliable and have taken a friendly approach to reparability which could be a benefit in the long term (even tho it's not the same Finnish Nokia from 20 years ago).

Bonus search with your desired requirements making these seem like the top 3 options, each giving up something for something else, like Note 12R giving up OLED for a faster chip.

Edited by venomtail
Search query wrong, updated

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

11 hours ago, dizmo said:

Honestly it's a personal preference. But there are some practical uses too. For example, if I were to visit a different country I could just pop in a local sim and be all set. I don't travel much, but I like to have the option. I don't intend to change carriers, but again, having the option is nice.

3 hours ago, venomtail said:

Have a browse at what you might like and what's available in your region. I'd say at the budget market the appeal is either the Chinese phones because hardware wise they'll be afloat to the competition, Samsung often rides on its branding in the budget range or Nokia cause they seem to be very reliable and have taken a friendly approach to reparability which could be a benefit in the long term (even tho it's not the same Finnish Nokia from 20 years ago).

Bonus search with your desired requirements making these seem like the top 3 options, each giving up something for something else, like Note 12R giving up OLED for a faster chip.

I'm always a little skeptical of some of the cheaper brands, since they tend to lack polish. The antitrust debacle with Huawei also makes me a little suspicious of Chinese brands specifically. Apologies if I'm starting to sound insanely picky at this point.

I'm not really a Samsung fan, and I know they trust their branding too much (they're the Apple of the Android world in many ways). I actually rejected some of the other A-series phones because of this. The A54 stood out though, especially in the camera department, which is why I'm not dead set against it.

As for performance, I'm not a power-user (at all) so, while I like my phone to be snappy, I don't really need flagship-tier specs. If given the choice, I'd much rather have a nice screen and good software. With that in mind, the best of the Chinese phones you sent a list for would be the Infinix Note 30 VIP, but I can hardly 

even find anywhere to buy it, let alone anywhere reputable.

Sony.  Headphone jack, great camera, excellent dac (audio chip), and many of them have a fingerprint reader.

Also, ALL sony smartphones, all the way back to models from 2012 can have the bootloader unlocked, using Sony's instructions.  So you can get an older model, unlocked the bootloader, put LineageOS on it, and have an up to date software setup.  This can save you money and reduce electronic waste.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

25 minutes ago, E-waste said:

Sony.  Headphone jack, great camera, excellent dac (audio chip), and many of them have a fingerprint reader.

Also, ALL sony smartphones, all the way back to models from 2012 can have the bootloader unlocked, using Sony's instructions.  So you can get an older model, unlocked the bootloader, put LineageOS on it, and have an up to date software setup.  This can save you money and reduce electronic waste.

Are there any that you would recommend specifically? A lot of them are weirdly difficult to find.

17 hours ago, Computernaut said:

Are there any that you would recommend specifically?

Anything with 3 or 4GB of ram will be plenty.  My desktop has less memory and works fine.

Other than that, I'd say whatever you can find which you like best.  Try sites like ebay if shipping isn't too high.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, venomtail said:

I can't not have an unlocked phone, but maybe that's the European speaking in me as I often travel to nearby countries and just pop in a local SIM for best deals on all data and calls. Some networks and carriers might allow a free unlocked 2nd, even 3rd sim slot but that's an exception. Unlocked device you never have to worry about that.

Haha, yeah it isn't really as much of a thing in NA. It's far less hassle just to pay for the roaming when you go down to the US.

I've never looked into travel data packages abroad, so I can't really comment on those. NA phones don't have multiple SIMs.

4 hours ago, venomtail said:

Chinese phones are a horrible choice for NA as the huge majority are catered to

59 minutes ago, Computernaut said:

Honestly it's a personal preference. But there are some practical uses too. For example, if I were to visit a different country I could just pop in a local sim and be all set. I don't travel much, but I like to have the option. I don't intend to change carriers, but again, having the option is nice.

If you're travelling to the US it's usually easier just to pay for the roaming package, and depending on your phone, it won't fully (or at all) work in a lot of Europe anyway. I get the idea, it just doesn't pan out in most cases and you could be massively overspending and getting less than you otherwise could. Which is very common in Canada.

4 minutes ago, Computernaut said:

I'm always a little skeptical of some of the cheaper brands, since they tend to lack polish. The antitrust debacle with Huawei also makes me a little suspicious of Chinese brands specifically. Apologies if I'm starting to sound insanely picky at this point.

I'm not really a Samsung fan, and I know they trust their branding too much (they're the Apple of the Android world in many ways). I actually rejected some of the other A-series phones because of this. The A54 stood out though, especially in the camera department, which is why I'm not dead set against it.

As for performance, I'm not a power-user (at all) so, while I like my phone to be snappy, I don't really need flagship-tier specs. If given the choice, I'd much rather have a nice screen and good software. With that in mind, the best of the Chinese phones you sent a list for would be the Infinix Note 30 VIP, but I can hardly 

even find anywhere to buy it, let alone anywhere reputable.

Motorola is a Chinese brand 😉

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler