Cleaning water bottle

jdh009
Go to solution Solved by -rascal-,

Baking soda + boiled hot water.

Let it sit in the bottle for a while, shake it up, and dump it out.

That has worked WONDERS with my Contigo / Swell bottles that's been stained with years of coffee.

No amount of scrubbing with a bottle brush, scotch brite pad, or copper wool scrubber works.

It was THIS video that I randomly found.

So i mistakenly used my water bottle* for my coffee a few times and the last time i forgot it completely when i put it in my bag. Tried various hand cleaning methodes, soaps and soaking but still get those unwanted and unpleasant coffee tones when drinking water from it. What's the best way for you that works so i could use thus water bottle for water again?

Got one for tea, water and coffee but the later two are the same colour and print so they normally never 'meet'. 

4 minutes ago, jdh009 said:

So i mistakenly used my water bottle* for my coffee a few times and the last time i forgot it completely when i put it in my bag. Tried various hand cleaning methodes, soaps and soaking but still get those unwanted and unpleasant coffee tones when drinking water from it. What's the best way for you that works so i could use thus water bottle for water again?

Got one for tea, water and coffee but the later two are the same colour and print so they normally never 'meet'. 

Maybe this is something you can try.  Definitely works for my protein shake bottles.  Sometimes I forget them in my car for a few days and this is the only way I can clean it properly.

Vinegar and some dishsoap

Let sit for like an hour or 2 or overnight like me when I forget about it.

Wash it out

I'll also add in denture tablets work wonders for cleaning water bottles.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Baking soda + boiled hot water.

Let it sit in the bottle for a while, shake it up, and dump it out.

That has worked WONDERS with my Contigo / Swell bottles that's been stained with years of coffee.

No amount of scrubbing with a bottle brush, scotch brite pad, or copper wool scrubber works.

It was THIS video that I randomly found.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Thanks all, enough options to choose from that i did not try.

I just want to add. After you get it clean, try not to use other liquids in the water bottle. I've made it a habit to have a designated bottle just for water. Only filtered water goes in this bottle and it only gets hand washed. It will last a lot longer and the water will always taste fresh. Anyway that's just how I do it. I highly recommend it. 

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3

39 minutes ago, weez said:

I just want to add. After you get it clean, try not to use other liquids in the water bottle. I've made it a habit to have a designated bottle just for water. Only filtered water goes in this bottle and it only gets hand washed. It will last a lot longer and the water will always taste fresh. Anyway that's just how I do it. I highly recommend it. 

I use the same tactic, got three smaller ones for tea, coffee and water but also a larger one for ice cubes. By mistake i ordered two of the same, but in my normal daily use the coffee and water never get mixed during the day due to my entirely different usage of them. 

Anyone have any tips on cleaning the lid? I find it very difficult to properly clean the screw cap of the spout lid. 

15 hours ago, Drazil100 said:

Anyone have any tips on cleaning the lid? I find it very difficult to properly clean the screw cap of the spout lid. 

They don't advice it but i never had problems when cleaning the screw cap in the dishwasher when it needs more than just a 'handwash' with a bit of soap. My theory: There is no print that is fragile and the rubber/soft plastic ring that prevents leaking seems replaceable and seen similar size rings on AliExpress like sites.  

I use my water bottle+lid with a bunch of different liquids; water, coconut water, water+electrolyte mix; and I've never had a funky smell. I don't even consistently use soap to clean out the bottle and lid.

However, I don't use the lid if I fill it with a carbonated drink or something acidic like cranberry juice.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

On 8/18/2023 at 4:22 PM, Drazil100 said:

Bottle brush and lots of hot water

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3

On 8/17/2023 at 1:24 PM, Slottr said:

I'll also add in denture tablets work wonders for cleaning water bottles.

Denture tablets 100%.

15 hours ago, WitchStitchRachel said:

Denture tablets 100%.

Any specific brand or do they all 'just work'TM?

1 hour ago, jdh009 said:

Any specific brand or do they all 'just work'TM?

they're all pretty close to the same thing