FiveM and RedM, popular modded GTA V and RDR2 communities have officially joined Rockstar Games

ThatGuyJupe

Summary

Cfx.re, the group behind the popular multiplayer mods for GTAV and Red Dead Redemption 2 have "Officially Partnered" with Rockstar. Rockstar has publicly stated on twitter that Cfx.re is "now officially apart of rockstar games." Commenters soon the twitter thread have expressed concerns about the servers that use real life brands of clothes, vehicles, and more and what will happen to them. Others have expressed excitement to see Rockstar working with the community instead of taking them down. Lastly, server twitter accounts, such as one of the most popular FiveM servers have been seen saying "As a big server's operators, we're hoping in many big improvements to the FiveM platform"

My thoughts

I think right now there isn't enough info to make a statement about if this will be overall good or bad. Neither party has mentioned what this will mean to the people in the FiveM and RedM communities, and what effect this will have on them.

Sources

https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/8971o8789584a4/roleplay-community-update
https://twitter.com/GTACNR/status/1690008078853246976?s=20

13 minutes ago, da na said:

I wonder how voluntary this was, if it was truly their choice or if it was "Join us or we will sue you to hell"

I mean as a company that made something off of someone else's ip they were always in a precarious situation. Obviously what they did was awesome and I hope Rockstar can help them continue what they were doing and maybe even improve it as well but at the end of the day they were always going to be at the mercy of Rockstar regardless. Personally I think they will find a way to make the experience of 5m better and then monetize it a ton. 

<-- Thread Locked -->

Please continue in the original thread:

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card