Should we stop supporting Nvidia?

Internet Swag

Hi, I realize this might be a weird question, and I'm a total hypocrite, as I was somewhat into crypto mining 3-5 years ago (I only had 10 cards, 8x Nvidia and 2x AMD). 

That being said, the overall meh reception of the 4000 series, soft launches and pricing has made me a bit sour. I have an RTX 3080, the last survivor of my mining days, but I have been wanting to upgrade, I just can't seem to really find anything that 'makes sense' despite being able to afford it. 

Reviewers are slamming Nvidia a lot as well, and it kinda just puts me off. I know they're trillionaires now with AI, but that doesn't mean anything to me. 

So I've hung onto my GPU and I'm on the fence about switching to AMD. I was going to get a 7600x or 7700x anyways, but now I might as well get an AMD GPU as well? 

Or I just won't get anything  😒 Which is the worst spot for Nvidia/AMD to be in, no? 

Ryzen 7600X | MSI Trio X 3080 | 3440x1440p asus vg34vql1b | Antec HCG 850 | 1TB WD Blue SSD | 500GB Aorus Elite | Asus B650 Strix A

singular person not buying a product for these brands is like a water droplet in the ocean

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

Feel free to do whatever you like. I personally am not going to stop buying Nvidia products. I like my 3070, 1660S and my GTX970. All of them have their flaws but they have been rock solid for the purpose I needed them to fill. AMD products on the other hand time and time again proved difficult for me to keep using them.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

9 minutes ago, Levent said:

Feel free to do whatever you like. I personally am not going to stop buying Nvidia products. I like my 3070, 1660S and my GTX970. All of them have their flaws but they have been rock solid for the purpose I needed them to fill. AMD products on the other hand time and time again proved difficult for me to keep using them.

Same experience with me.  My R9 290x was a pain in the ass. My 980ti, 2080 Super and now RTX 4080 has been rock solid as well, NO issues at all.  I will only buy Nvidia cards going forwards, Yes the prices might be a meh but I know I get a good product. And the engineers did wonders with the 4000 series efficiency.

Well, although NVIDIA is a good punching bag right now, AMD is not exactly gamer's 'best bud'

In fairness, their 4000 series GPU is not a bad product, it's just bad pricing because of their greed

AMD still have issue regarding limiting sponsored game developer for limiting AI up-scaling technology to only FSR (and still not deny nor confirm about it)

In addition, the FSR3 to compete DLSS3 (and possibly Frame Gen) that they had announced last December is still not available

It's just a good time to purchase AMD in recent years because of their great product development and pricing. The same couldn't be said decade ago when literally no tech reviewer would consider Athlon nor Radeon

In the end, as CVO of LMG always says, don't be a fan boy of a certain company

They only say what we as customers like to hear because they want our money

Instead, we can love their product, but not the company/brand

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

And Laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45 for mobility

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

Nvidia's only major issue is one of pricing. And it's an artificial issue that they themselves have created. They're operating with extremely high margins which means that the only reason why their prices are the way they are is because they DON'T WANT TO sell a lot of GPUs at the moment. Why? Because they need TSMCs manufacturing capacity for their AI chips that multiple companies have ordered "at production capacity" which in simple english means "as quickly as you can make em". So in essence right now their gaming chips are simply there for "good old time's sake". If you want to hurt Nvidia it won't be by not buying from them now because it's exactly what they want, if they didn't they would have competitive prices.

IF the AI sector turns out to be an unsustainable bubble for one reason or another which I'm not equipped to speculate on, and Nvidia have to rely on their gaming GPU sales once again for the majority of their revenue, not buying THEN would be a proper FU to them.

Ada is worse than Ampere which is worse than Fermi, change my mind.

System:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS X570 TUF
  • RAM
    2X16GB Kingston Fury 3200mhz
  • GPU
    PowerColor 6950XT
  • Case
    Fractal Torrent
  • Storage
    A lot of SSDs
  • PSU
    Seasonic 1000W Platinum
  • Display(s)
    Main: ASUS PG27AQDM 240hz 1440p WOLED
    Secondary: Alienware AW2521HF 1080p 240hz
    Third: Samsung C34F791 UltraWide 1440p 100hz
    Fourth: LG 48' C2 OLED TV
  • Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
  • Keyboard
    Ducky Shine 7
  • Mouse
    GPX Superlight
  • Sound
    Logitech Z906 / Sennheiser 560s / Rode NT-USB
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 Pro

While I wouldn't call myself a "fan" of nVidia, I use them because my experiences with AMD cards have been less than stellar. If AMD were to improve their drivers, then I'd consider it.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

4 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

While I wouldn't call myself a "fan" of nVidia, I use them because my experiences with AMD cards have been less than stellar. If AMD were to improve their drivers, then I'd consider it.

Exactly this. Although Nvidia isn't the most likeable corpo, they do know how to make a solid card.

6 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

AMD were to improve their drivers

Good point, I have RX 7900 XT for quite a while now
Although there's no major bad issue that issue game crashing, it still have some issue that I think shouldn't be there on the first place

The latest issue for me is FPS counter not working

The simplest and basic feature that most people wanna see is not working, and it take about +- 1,5 month for AMD to fix it after driver update

It's kinda hard to love AMD, but AMD is kinda "The lesser Evil" (arguably) in current GPU market competition

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

And Laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45 for mobility

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

2 minutes ago, ImWilly said:

but AMD is kinda "The lesser Evil" (arguably) in current GPU market competition

lesser evil because less market share, that's all there is to it. AMD have shown that they *will* be the bad guy if they come out WAY ahead, as probably any major corporation will be.

It's a consumers market and everything is fair game, I don't particularly like or didn't like it when gamers were forced into digital downloads meaning having to take out another subscription for always on uncapped faster broadband or asdl but if I wanted the newer games which weren't available in hard copy I'd no choice but to comply and this was when the big players sony and MS were trying to force gamers towards consoles.  Plenty of games in the stores provided you had a console or were getting one.

The big players won't admit it's a concentrated effort to create a monopoly or anti-trust.  MS were hit with a few anti-trust writs.  Facebook/meta EU fines all water of a ducks arse.   Is that all? 50 million euro pah!  I'm sure Zukerberg cried his eyes out.  The big players bad press some fines and less than favorable reviews for GPU's are just money down the back of the sofa to them.

It's usually not worth upgrading from one gen to the next anyway, so wait a couple more and see where we're at then.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

22 minutes ago, manikyath said:

lesser evil because less market share, that's all there is to it. AMD have shown that they *will* be the bad guy if they come out WAY ahead, as probably any major corporation will be.

This has been the case without exception so far when it comes to tech giants. Look at Intel, the moment they had no competition they started re-releasing the same CPU over and over again and now after years of being the hated tech giant they've become the "underdog" again with their Arc GPUs. It's a constant circle of tech companies getting humbled--> becoming arrogant --> getting humbled again (or going out of business if they're not careful enough).

Ada is worse than Ampere which is worse than Fermi, change my mind.

System:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS X570 TUF
  • RAM
    2X16GB Kingston Fury 3200mhz
  • GPU
    PowerColor 6950XT
  • Case
    Fractal Torrent
  • Storage
    A lot of SSDs
  • PSU
    Seasonic 1000W Platinum
  • Display(s)
    Main: ASUS PG27AQDM 240hz 1440p WOLED
    Secondary: Alienware AW2521HF 1080p 240hz
    Third: Samsung C34F791 UltraWide 1440p 100hz
    Fourth: LG 48' C2 OLED TV
  • Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
  • Keyboard
    Ducky Shine 7
  • Mouse
    GPX Superlight
  • Sound
    Logitech Z906 / Sennheiser 560s / Rode NT-USB
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 Pro

3080 is a great card, you sure the issue is not just that you have the upgrade itch? You likely don't need to upgrade for a good while. It's not like AMD is any benevolent company either. They are squeezing as much as they can to get every last $. They are just bad at it.

46 minutes ago, WereCat said:

3080 is a great card, you sure the issue is not just that you have the upgrade itch? You likely don't need to upgrade for a good while. It's not like AMD is any benevolent company either. They are squeezing as much as they can to get every last $. They are just bad at it.

I wish AMD had any sort of market share in the gpu market before they decided to act like Nvidia or Apple

Fake it till you make it.

Nvidia is an evil corporation, but so are AMD and Intel. There are no morals in capitalism. I went AMD this time because there was nothing as good for the money for 1440p gaming as the 6700 XT at the time last year, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy an Nvidia card once this one starts showing its age if they put out the best card for the money at the performance tier I want to buy in.

5 hours ago, manikyath said:

they already did last gen with the 5000 series CPU's and 6000 series GPU's claiming that SAM was a proprietary tech that required a 500 series board, 5000 series cpu and a 6000 series gpu, and also the milking of consumers the instant they are even and inch in front. 

17 hours ago, Internet Swag said:

Or I just won't get anything  😒 Which is the worst spot for Nvidia/AMD to be in, no? 

Get Intel ARC and help them improve their driver. :old-laugh:

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |