Lights turn on for a second, turn off, then on again when booting up?

Gessler555

My old PC was bricked so I got a new (as in, not used) Gigabyte H81M-H motherboard and a used i5-4590 to tide me over until I build a new one.

Something I've noticed on the new PC is that whenever I press the power button on the case, the LEDs on my case fan (there's only 1 as the board has only 1 sys fan header) turn on, then off for a split second, then on again before the system boots. I'm not sure but I THINK the fan itself also does the on-off-on, I just can't tell cuz it doesn't stay off long enough for me to notice if the blades are slowing down. My old (now bricked) motherboard, a MSI Z97 Gaming 7, never did this.

I don't think it's the PSU's fault because I'm using the same one from my previous build, it's a 5-year old Corsair RM850x 80+ Gold and it worked perfectly fine on my old build.

I'm not noticing anything else wrong with the system, once it boots up everything works fine.

Is this a quirk of the older Gigabyte boards or should I be concerned about anything like a bad capacitor etc.?

Intel i7-4790k | MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8) 1866mhz RAM | Corsair H80i v1 AIO | Corsair RM850x PSU | Cooler Master HAF 912 case | Asus VZ27AQ 1440p 75hz monitor | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm HDD

systems turn on and off and on normally from xeon cpus in non sever mbs or testing ram timings. but if it works it works so...

only way to test if its the psu is test with a different psu. but i think if the psu was going you get blue screens or restarts i would think.

what is the ram and what settings is the ram at. passably can find bios settings of it might help but from what you told there nothing un normal.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

14 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

what is the ram and what settings is the ram at. passably can find bios settings of it might help but from what you told there nothing un normal.

I'm actually in the same opinion. My 1st impression or guess is that it's training the ram. Basically settings of the ram that was set does not work so the pc reloads using a default. I believe depending on the mobo/bios, there's a setting in some boards that it will always try to load with the saved settings once and if it does not work, it would restart with a working one.

But as it's an old unused board, you might want to check on the cmos battery too. Which could also explain why it trains ram or whatever that boot issue you are having.

57 minutes ago, Gessler555 said:

Is this a quirk of the older Gigabyte boards or should I be concerned about anything like a bad capacitor etc.?

Could well be, I seem to recall one of my older builds did this.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 hour ago, thrasher_565 said:

systems turn on and off and on normally from xeon cpus in non sever mbs or testing ram timings. but if it works it works so...

only way to test if its the psu is test with a different psu. but i think if the psu was going you get blue screens or restarts i would think.

1 hour ago, kitnoman said:

I'm actually in the same opinion. My 1st impression or guess is that it's training the ram. Basically settings of the ram that was set does not work so the pc reloads using a default. I believe depending on the mobo/bios, there's a setting in some boards that it will always try to load with the saved settings once and if it does not work, it would restart with a working one.

But as it's an old unused board, you might want to check on the cmos battery too. Which could also explain why it trains ram or whatever that boot issue you are having.

I got 16GB (2x8) of Corsair Vengeance DDR3. They are the same two sticks I had on my old build.

They are 1866-rated but since I got the new motherboard I haven't touched XMP and they're running at the default speed of 1333.

How do I know if it's the CMOS battery that's weak? I've tried unplugging the PSU and pressed the power button a few times to drain residual charge from caps and then booted up - it still does the same on-off-on routine.

Intel i7-4790k | MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8) 1866mhz RAM | Corsair H80i v1 AIO | Corsair RM850x PSU | Cooler Master HAF 912 case | Asus VZ27AQ 1440p 75hz monitor | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm HDD

51 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Could well be, I seem to recall one of my older builds did this.

I'm sorry but which do you mean? Bad cap or Gigabyte quirk?

3 hours ago, Gessler555 said:

I'm sorry but which do you mean? Bad cap or Gigabyte quirk?

Motherboard quirk, not sure what brand it was but could well have been Gigabyte.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7