UK gov conceals leak of the electoral register 2014-2021 for 10 months. Ps. The recommend you watch out for unauthorised activity

Gav881

Summary

something like 40million people effected by a breach, most of the information appears to be purchasable by people like credit ref agency's. The breach was discovered in October but no date given for closure of the incident. 

Quotes

Defending the delay, commission chair John Pullinger said: "If you go public on a vulnerability before you have sealed it off, then you are risking more vulnerabilities." 

My thoughts

The suggestion that 10months is a reasonable amount of time suggests a lack of resource or incompetence imho. 

Sources

Cyber-attack on UK's electoral registers revealed https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66441010

In the UK there are two versions of the register, the public version, and the full version. The difference between them is you can opt out of appearing on the public list. For older people, it is similar to requesting to not be listed in the phone book (white pages). If that is all the data they got, I view it as relatively insignificant in data value. Still a serious breach, but little to no individual impact.

The article mentions that credit agencies may purchase the full list, otherwise they couldn't verify who lives where for those who have opted out of the public list.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

15 hours ago, Gav881 said:

My thoughts

The suggestion that 10months is a reasonable amount of time suggests a lack of resource or incompetence imho.

I'd suggest a lack of resource and incompetence. That generally how things work, or rather do not work, in the UK these days.

15 hours ago, porina said:

In the UK there are two versions of the register, the public version, and the full version. The difference between them is you can opt out of appearing on the public list. For older people, it is similar to requesting to not be listed in the phone book (white pages). If that is all the data they got, I view it as relatively insignificant in data value. Still a serious breach, but little to no individual impact.

The article mentions that credit agencies may purchase the full list, otherwise they couldn't verify who lives where for those who have opted out of the public list.

Well it's still a breach since nobody is supposed to be able to get the full list.

People on the full list are there for a reason, they don't want to be on the public list. Downplaying grievances with wholesale data selling and data brokering is not helpful to this discussion.

It may not be the most significant breach ever but this hack is egregious and far from harmless. The hackers should face serious repercusions for their actions if they can ever be identified.

I'm not sure why OP used the word leak since it was a cyber attack/hack and clearly not a leak.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

On 8/9/2023 at 11:20 AM, Monkey Dust said:

I'd suggest a lack of resource and incompetence. That generally how things work, or rather do not work, in the UK these days.

I'm certain this happened when bozo the clown was in charge along with his circus government and they were the class leaders in incompetence.

Ah yes, 5he let's make everything digital and have the government be omnipresent in every aspect of an individuals life. What could possibly go wrong

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>