4770k or wait for 4790k with my build?

Go to solution Solved by Wano97,

Thanks, how come there's no difference though? I guess what I'm saying is I don't understand what the benefits would be to upgrading from a 4770k to a 4790k would be. Do you know?

Because there's nearly no difference from a 4770k to a 4790k if I remember correctly, but a 4930k won't improve that much either. It's mainly your GPU that's doing the job, aslong as your CPU doesn't bottleneck, which a 4770k will certainly NOT, you're fine

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3IYNW

If it's just going to be roughly 1 fps difference (in crysis 3) then I won't wait, but if it's like 5+ fps difference (in crysis 3) then I definitely should. I don't plan on OCing much, probably just minor OC on my ram / GPU. This is my first build and even though there isn't much information on the 4790k if anyone has speculation supported by some evidence I'd love for you to chime in. Ty (=

There's not going to a difference, and if there is, it's going to be quite minimal, possibly within the margin of error. Btw that's a pretty good build, but what I would change out, would be the ram.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

0 difference. 

Thanks, how come there's no difference though? I guess what I'm saying is I don't understand what the benefits would be to upgrading from a 4770k to a 4790k would be. Do you know?

There's not going to a difference, and if there is, it's going to be quite minimal, possibly within the margin of error. Btw that's a pretty good build, but what I would change out, would be the ram.

My old ram is Corsair Dominator 1333HZ, should I just OC it to 1600 and not buy new ram? I've never OC'd before, and this is my first build.

Because there's nearly no difference from a 4770k to a 4790k if I remember correctly, but a 4930k won't improve that much either. It's mainly your GPU that's doing the job, aslong as your CPU doesn't bottleneck, which a 4770k will certainly NOT, you're fine

My old ram is Corsair Dominator 1333HZ, should I just OC it to 1600 and not buy new ram? I've never OC'd before, and this is my first build.

BTW, what kit of that do you have. If you have like 8gb for the old kit and want 16 just get a new kit.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

If theres is no overclocking there will be only the 100 Mhz clock difference IMO not worth the wait. if your overclocking then I would say wait for some review to see if/how much they improved the thermals

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3IYNW

If it's just going to be roughly 1 fps difference (in crysis 3) then I won't wait, but if it's like 5+ fps difference (in crysis 3) then I definitely should. I don't plan on OCing much, probably just minor OC on my ram / GPU. This is my first build and even though there isn't much information on the 4790k if anyone has speculation supported by some evidence I'd love for you to chime in. Ty (=

since your not planning to oc get the 4770k. The only reason the 4970k is coming to market from all the information ive seen so far is purely for the hard overclockers like myself that want to go as far as they can

Thanks (=

The only befints would be better TIM and Sata express on Z97. It's just a rebatch with better TIM and a new platform. 

The only befints would be better TIM and Sata express on Z97. It's just a rebatch with better TIM and a new platform. 

devils canion will be cherry picked cpus.

---

get a non k i7 with h87 board if you dont overclock lol

devils canion will be cherry picked cpus.

---

get a non k i7 with h87 board if you dont overclock lol

Any source on this?

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

If they really are cherry picked my 3570k is finally going to start looking long in the tooth compared to the new i5s people choose to overclock. 

Holy shit dude you need to do some adjustments to that build, naha that ain't good boy, are you planning on watercooling in the future? And if you're not OC'ing so much save some bucks and get 212 evo, also don't get the 900D get nzxt H440, you should get maximum 1866 MHz on the ram or else you'll need additional cooling and it won't perform any different only the price that raises, you shouldn't get 750W, either you get 650W if you're planning to stick with 1 card or if you plan on going SLI in the future go with 850W+ also the mobo is little to pricy for my likings when you're not even OC'ing but that's your choice, if you just change the stuff I said you will save some bucks, get a smaller case but it's better (believe me) and you won't lose any FPS at all, just a better overall everything, if you need help with picking stuff feel free to PM or just quote me on here! :)

But if you want to get into overclocking (it's fun tbh) you should go with the 4790k and your GPU is very easily and made to OC! :)

Emmh... Maybe consider killing yourself before you talk to me?

Pople on this forum though some of them had a brain, turns out, no.

I'd wait.  It's like 2 weeks away.  If you plan on overclocking, it sounds like the Devil's Canyon chipset will be much more friendly for that.

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

Holy shit dude you need to do some adjustments to that build, naha that ain't good boy, are you planning on watercooling in the future? And if you're not OC'ing so much save some bucks and get 212 evo, also don't get the 900D get nzxt H440, you should get maximum 1866 MHz on the ram or else you'll need additional cooling and it won't perform any different only the price that raises, you shouldn't get 750W, either you get 650W if you're planning to stick with 1 card or if you plan on going SLI in the future go with 850W+ also the mobo is little to pricy for my likings when you're not even OC'ing but that's your choice, if you just change the stuff I said you will save some bucks, get a smaller case but it's better (believe me) and you won't lose any FPS at all, just a better overall everything, if you need help with picking stuff feel free to PM or just quote me on here! :)

But if you want to get into overclocking (it's fun tbh) you should go with the 4790k and your GPU is very easily and made to OC! :)

The other parts of my build weren't up for question. I did decide to go for 1866HZ ram but that had nothing to do with heat, it was more about performance and lower latency. (shout to the people in the ram section)

I'm perfectly content with everything else in my build. The 750W PSU is overkill, but it was a gift.

Actually it was vice versa i7 4770k is better for overclocking and 4790k isn't so good. Intel will release more oc friendly ships in mid june-july.

Actually it was vice versa i7 4770k is better for overclocking and 4790k isn't so good. Intel will release more oc friendly ships in mid june-july.

4790k hasn't been released

What will the prices of the devils canyon i5 and i7 be compared to their non devils canyon counterparts? (i5-4670k and i7-4770k) Will they be more expensive or will they be at around thesame price point?

Build log "Whiplash" : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/158477-the-hero/

Whiplash: 4790k@4,4Ghz|Maximus VII Hero|4x4Gb Red/Black HyperX fury 1866Mhz|R9 290 Tri-X|Modded 450D|Sleeved cables on a M12II evo 850W|M500 480Gb| BenQ XL2411T@144Hz

Laptop: 4700MQ|16Gb@1600Mhz|Quadro 1100M|1080P|128Gb SSD|500Gb 7200RPM hdd