Building this PC was definitely an excellent idea

district_11

I admit, I didn't see the point of a build like this because I had assumed that for such a low-end machine a pre-built would be better value. But the other day I costed it on pcpartspicker and found out that you could do something like this for as little as £170, depending on how low spec you actually need. So if I ever do find myself needing something for spreadsheets and word documents (because a desktop is just more comfortable for that kind of thing than a laptop, and don't even bother with a tablet :P) this is definitely the route I'll go.

A FRIGGING TUF BOARD FOR LIGHT USE.

Y u do dis, me so jelly.

I wish i had a TUF board for my one and only PC. Out of all the other motherboards i have seen, the sabertooth ones are my favorites.

Anyhow very nicely done, the front IO connector sticks out a bit, but i am not one to criticize on cables.

EDIT: Is that the USB cable instead? The one with a rainbow color theme.

It's the HD audio cable, I have bought an extension cable and some black shrink wrap to cover them I just haven't got around to doing it yet

Corsair C70 Black Windowed | Asus Sabertooth Z87 | i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | Corsair Dominator Platinum 4x4GB 1866Mhz | SLI GTX 780 Classified | Corsair AX860 | Samsung EVO 250GB SSD | 2x2TB WD Green

Corsair 350D Windowed | Asus Gryphon Z87 | i5 4670k | Corsair H75 | Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 2x4GB 1600Mhz | Corsair RM550 | Samsung EVO 250GB SSD | 4TB WD Green.

Bitfenix Phenom ITX White | Asus Z97i-Plus | Pentium G3258 | Noctua NH-L9i | Kingston HyperX Fury White 2x4GB 1866Mhz | Silverstone Strider 550 | Crucial M.2 120GB SSD | 4x5TB WD Red. (work in progress)

Very clean and slick (see what i did there? :P) 350D i suppose :D

For web browsing? Uhhh no

I thought he was redoing his gaming rig for a web browser I already see it as decently overkill

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

Yellow/Black is a sexy-ass color scheme. Makes me want to build a honeycomb inspired PC.

I admit, I didn't see the point of a build like this because I had assumed that for such a low-end machine a pre-built would be better value. But the other day I costed it on pcpartspicker and found out that you could do something like this for as little as £170, depending on how low spec you actually need. So if I ever do find myself needing something for spreadsheets and word documents (because a desktop is just more comfortable for that kind of thing than a laptop, and don't even bother with a tablet :P) this is definitely the route I'll go.

I did consider buying a higher end prebuilt (all for one second) before deciding on building this.

No bloatware in the OS and I know exactly what's in the machine which will come in handy when/if I upgrade anything.

Corsair C70 Black Windowed | Asus Sabertooth Z87 | i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | Corsair Dominator Platinum 4x4GB 1866Mhz | SLI GTX 780 Classified | Corsair AX860 | Samsung EVO 250GB SSD | 2x2TB WD Green

Corsair 350D Windowed | Asus Gryphon Z87 | i5 4670k | Corsair H75 | Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 2x4GB 1600Mhz | Corsair RM550 | Samsung EVO 250GB SSD | 4TB WD Green.

Bitfenix Phenom ITX White | Asus Z97i-Plus | Pentium G3258 | Noctua NH-L9i | Kingston HyperX Fury White 2x4GB 1866Mhz | Silverstone Strider 550 | Crucial M.2 120GB SSD | 4x5TB WD Red. (work in progress)

Now put an MSI lightning card, then it will be complete

My PC specs; Processor: Intel i5 2500K @4.6GHz, Graphics card: Sapphire AMD R9 Nano 4GB DD Overclocked @1050MHz Core and 550 MHz Memory. Hard Drives: 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM, 2TB Western Digital Green Drive, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V , Power Supply: OCZ ZS series 750W 80+ Bronze certified, Case: NZXT S340, Memory: Corsair Vengance series Ram, Dual Channel kit @ 1866 Mhz, 10-11-10-30 Timings, 4x4 GB DIMMs. Cooler: CoolerMaster Seidon 240V

Really nice clean build :) But would personally get a more budget rig as I probably won't be sure when I will use the rig for a gaming computer already having one unless I have another family member planning to game in the future. But your view might be different from mine. ;) Don't see why you would sell your main rig though.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I don't think that is overkill AT ALL.. it's perfect for what you need it for and it is kinda future proofed.. now I would call it over kill if there was a GPU in there but you have INTEL HD GFX and those aren't terrible for what you need them for. It should alst you a long long time and if you want to convert it to a gaming computer just toss in a ok GFX card.. 

So in that aspect it's not overkill at all because if you need a gaming rig then toss in a GPU and there ya go... well worth the money.

“Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.”

You should submit this for WAN show build logs! If it's able. (I am forgetting the word that means it meats all the requirements.  :wacko:)

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

well pretty much a lot of people know that there is no future proofing but I don't believe in overkill too ^_^.

nothing is more important than making you happy. lol you can easily spend on like dual e5 2697v2's fill em them board for it with ecc ram 8gb each and be a happy man and use it for web browsing.

pretty much I like your build If It were me with some spare cash I'd really slap that with some 780 or 780ti. like the lightning or asus dcu2.

Live your life like a dream.

How is the H75 in terms of noise/performance (Idle temps?)? Is the pump noise annoying? Been thinking about picking up an AIO for my SFF build. 

Rig: Lian Li PC-V353 i5 2500K, GA-Z68MA-D2H, EVGA GTX 650, CM Gemiin S524, Corsair TX650M, Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate 1TB Barracuda, Fiio E10

well pretty much a lot of people know that there is no future proofing but I don't believe in overkill too ^_^.

nothing is more important than making you happy. lol you can easily spend on like dual e5 2697v2's fill em them board for it with ecc ram 8gb each and be a happy man and use it for web browsing.

pretty much I like your build If It were me with some spare cash I'd really slap that with some 780 or 780ti. like the lightning or asus dcu2.

To me, future proofing is 3 or 4 years. I mean my expectations don't go that high and if I can't run maxed out settings 3 years from now but can still play it, I'm good. :P

IdeaCentre K450 Review - My favorite (pre-built) gaming desktop under $1000.

Gaming PC Under $500 = Gaming on a budget.

Looking great!

CASE: FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4  |  MOBO: MSI MPOWER Z77  |  CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz  |  CPU COOLER: NOCTUA NH-D15  |  GPU: EVGA GTX 770 SC |

PSU: CORSAIR AX860 W/ RED BRAIDED CABLES | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250 GB | HDD: WD BLACK 1 TB | FANS: 3x NOCTUA NF-A14 | MONITOR: HP W2371D

KEYBOARD: CM STORM QFR MX BLUES W/  PBT KEYCAPS  |  MOUSE: LOGITECH G502 | MIC: AUDIO TECHNICA AT2020 | HEADPHONES: SENNHEISER HD 558

Has anyone else built a non gaming machine just to have an excellent experience using the web/Windows? and how do you find it going from your rig to a 'normal' PC, say in school/work/friends house etc?

Nope, yours is beautiful, but my old gaming laptops have now become my general use machines since building my gaming desktop. I love seeing my mum failing to email while using a £2000 alienware laptop. The tool doesn't make the worker :P

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

It's in my sig mate, but

Dominator plats 16gb

Sabertooth z87 mobo

H100i

Ax860

SLI 780's

250gb ssd

2 x 2tb hdd's

4 x Bequiet silent wings as intakes

3 x sp120's

Thanks. I'm browsing the forums via Tapatalk so I don't see sigs.

Looks fantastic, black and yellow colour schemes are soooo sexy

True but how long do you think it'll be before an i5 and 8gb of ram are outdated for Web browsing? lol