XLR - XLR cable vs XLR - minijack cable

SandyBay

If would I connect my XLR microphone to the PC via XLR - minijack cable it will have worse quality of recording than XLR - XLR cable or not?

Depends of the quality of the audio input of your motherboard and whether it's better / worse than whatever XLR interface you'd be using instead. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

Depends of the quality of the audio input of your motherboard and whether it's better / worse than whatever XLR interface you'd be using instead. 

Do you mean sound card or just a hole for a connector?

What "hole"?

I'm talking of whatever you'll be plugging the mic to.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 hours ago, SandyBay said:

If would I connect my XLR microphone to the PC via XLR - minijack cable it will have worse quality of recording than XLR - XLR cable or not?

Uhh, does your XLR microphone require phantom power from a music interface..?

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

20 hours ago, SandyBay said:

XLR is a balanced connector with phantom power (generally 48 V), the 3.5mm mini jack is an unbalanced connector with a bias voltage (5 V).

Only dynamic XLR microphones are somewhat compatible with a mini-jack, but it's mostly jerry-rigging. The 5 V bias voltage could damage or destroy microphones (it's unlikely) and you lose the benefits of the balanced connection.

tl;dr

Use a proper XLR input (for example on a USB interface) for a XLR microphone.

On 7/20/2023 at 3:56 PM, Kilrah said:

What "hole"?

A hole into which I plug audio connectors.

On 7/20/2023 at 3:56 PM, Kilrah said:

I'm talking of whatever you'll be plugging the mic to.

Then what are you talking about that? I confused a little bit.

On 7/20/2023 at 4:04 PM, saintlouisbagels said:

Uhh, does your XLR microphone require phantom power from a music interface..?

I have no idea. The name of the mic which I'm considering to buy is HyperX ProCast.

On 7/21/2023 at 9:54 AM, HenrySalayne said:

Use a proper XLR input (for example on a USB interface) for a XLR microphone.

Do you mean XLR - USB-A cable? I'm afraid then I will lose the quality of recording.

51 minutes ago, SandyBay said:

I have no idea. The name of the mic which I'm considering to buy is HyperX ProCast.

It requires 48V phantom power.

You must buy a music interface if you want to use this microphone.

Something like the Focusrite Scarlett Solo. This isn’t my expertise so you could probably Google for better options.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

1 hour ago, SandyBay said:

Do you mean XLR - USB-A cable? I'm afraid then I will lose the quality of recording.

No, I mean an audio interface. This can be an XLR to USB cable (which is a very simple audio interface with a single input), but it doesn't need to be.

I would recommend something like a Presonus io24. It also has a decent headphone amp and some nice DSP features you can use to tweak the sound. And as mentioned before, you absolutely need some form of audio interface with phantom power if you want to use the HyperX ProCast.