TC Helicon, maker of the popular GoXLR channel mixer, fired entire software development group (developing news)

rpgnoob

Summary

From the sparse information that is available on Twitter (they can't even do a Twitter thread) and a Discord message, no further software/driver updates can be expected.

Quotes from company Twitter:

First - all warranty cover continues under Music Tribe, the only difference to you is the name. The cover and care remain the same.

Second - our Discord server will stay open.

To be very honest, we’re still figuring out the rest.

Screenshot of Discord message:

image.thumb.png.1d6a82815ce40c3be73528629af452a1.png

My thoughts

I hope TC Helicon does the right thing and publishes the hardware schematics, manuals and entire software/driver stack to a public GitHub repository, which the community can fork going forward. Enabling hardware repair through 3rd parties and continued software support through open source development (see right to repair debates and movement & reducing e-waste). The Linux support does already come from open source development community, not TC Helicon-paid developers. Senpai Gaming made a video about the news (and alternative product choices).

Sources

Tweet 1, Tweet 2. Discord message. Now news/blog entry on TC Helicon website, or Google News coverage as of writing this post.

Shouldn't have bought a mixer that requires software to work in the first place.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Sucks for the developers.

I never understood why people bought this hardware though. Every review I've seen says it's flaky at the best of times. You pay just about as much buying a decent audio interface or mixer from a reputable brand as you did buying the GoXLR, and the audio interface/mixer doesn't need software to work.

20 minutes ago, HarryNyquist said:

Sucks for the developers.

I never understood why people bought this hardware though. Every review I've seen says it's flaky at the best of times. You pay just about as much buying a decent audio interface or mixer from a reputable brand as you did buying the GoXLR, and the audio interface/mixer doesn't need software to work.

I think there is some confusion about what the GoXLR is. It's a digital mixer/interface combo but audio processing is not done in software on the host computer but in hardware on the device. The GoXLR is the affordable and easy to use option between a "normal" interface and a full blown digital mixer. And it has a lot of hardware controls conpared to other solutions.

There is definitely a place for such a product and not a lot of options to choose from. That's why the GoXLR is so popular.

TC-Helicon is local to me.

I don't know what's going on, but I seems to be downhill for them within the last year or two.

We hired one of their long-time (8+) Engineers in May of this year; he was one of the guys who worked on the GoXLR.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

On 7/12/2023 at 8:45 PM, suicidalfranco said:

Shouldn't have bought a mixer that requires software to work in the first place.

I disagree with you. Not all mixers which have software drivers & firmware are bad, there are some exceptions, take RME for example. 

MsNIKITA
IRL & Variety Streamer
Manchester & Tokyo 

4 hours ago, MsNIKITA said:

I disagree with you. Not all mixers which have software drivers & firmware are bad, there are some exceptions, take RME for example. 

Nah, all bad. And it's not "they aren't bad", it's "they aren't bad, yet"

Want proof: looke above

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

5 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Nah, all bad. And it's not "they aren't bad", it's "they aren't bad, yet"

Want proof: looke above

But you do know that any device reaches EoL at some point? Any peripheral might eventually stop working because you don't get driver updates. Please explain to me why you think this is especially a problem of the GoXLR.

Just now, HenrySalayne said:

But you do know that any device reaches EoL at some point? Any peripheral might eventually stop working because you don't get driver updates. Please explain to me why you think this is especially a problem of the GoXLR.

Cause devices that don't really on software don't need driver updates.

Goxlr is pretty much a paperweight now.

A mixer that handles your inputs and output electronically without any software in the mix would keep working the same way it did 70s as it would in 2023.

Can apply to mixers that saying that goes "good headphones stay good" that dankpods likes to remind everyone every time I picks up a good pair of old cans.

23 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Cause devices that don't really on software don't need driver updates.

Goxlr is pretty much a paperweight now.

A mixer that handles your inputs and output electronically without any software in the mix would keep working the same way it did 70s as it would in 2023.

Can apply to mixers that saying that goes "good headphones stay good" that dankpods likes to remind everyone every time I picks up a good pair of old cans.

The GoXLR is not a mixer, it's an interface mixer combo. Comparing it to a standalone analogue mixer or passive analogue electronics like headphones doesn't make any sense. A mixer would require an additional multi-channel audio interface which will suffer from the same EoL problems the GoXLR will suffer from. You cannot use a simple 2x2 interface. You need additional virtual audio devices to have individual inputs for different programs. Then you need hardware controls, outboard equipment and so on...

The barrier of entry to replicate the functionality of the GoXLR with a standalone mixer would be a X32 Producer or an Presonus Studiolive 16.0.2 and something like ASIO Link Pro to get the virtual audio devices. And then you have a 19" mixer sitting on your desk and it costs at least 3x as much...

And the GoXLR is not a paperweight right now. The current software iteration will probably work throughout Windows 11 and maybe even beyond that. It might be wise to not buy the GoXLR for MSRP right now, but there is also no pressure to replace it with something else.