Officially done with Apple (small rant)

I have been a long time apple fan until now. I recently traded in my i5 macbook for a new m1 macbook and I wanted to upgrade it to 16gb of ram. Only to find out nothing in the M1 macbook air is upgradable (well unless you are a super soldering expert, I am not) not even the internal ssd is upgradable. They have gotten so greedy. 

Lian LI 215 CASE

MSI Micro ATX MOTHERBOARD

12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12500T   2.00 GHz

AMD RX 6600 GPU

32 GB OF  DDR4 RAM

6 minutes ago, CrystalApple said:

I have been a long time apple fan until now. I recently traded in my i5 macbook for a new m1 macbook and I wanted to upgrade it to 16gb of ram. Only to find out nothing in the M1 macbook air is upgradable (well unless you are a super soldering expert, I am not) not even the internal ssd is upgradable. They have gotten so greedy. 

MacBooks haven't been upgradable for years... way before M1. This isn't new... In fact... many laptops these days are not upgradable... Hope you liked the Lenovo ThinkPad X Series because the RAM is soldered on there too now.
Lenovo ThinkPad X13 G2 Review: The perfect mobile companion? -  NotebookCheck.net Reviews

6 minutes ago, CrystalApple said:

They have gotten so greedy. 

Which company isn't... Google, Lenovo, HP, Dell, Boeing, GM, Ford, your Federal Government, EA... Bungie. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

3 minutes ago, CrystalApple said:

Only to find out nothing in the M1 macbook air is upgradable

really? that was the tipping point? lol

4 minutes ago, CrystalApple said:

Only to find out nothing in the M1 macbook air is upgradable (well unless you are a super soldering expert, I am not) not even the internal ssd is upgradable.

This has been the case for a while.

5 minutes ago, CrystalApple said:

They have gotten so greedy. 

Always have been.

11 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Hope you liked the Lenovo ThinkPad X Series because the RAM is soldered on there too now.
Lenovo ThinkPad X13 G2 Review: The perfect mobile companion? -  NotebookCheck.net Reviews

IIRC, even the T400 and T500 series now have soldered ram.. could be wrong about that, though.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

5 minutes ago, saintlouisbagels said:

It looks like they haven't had upgradeable RAM in laptops in over 10 years?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201165

Yea it started with the Retina MacBook Pros. The Touch Bar MacBook Pros that succeeded removed the M.2 slot. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

49 minutes ago, YellowJersey said:

IIRC, even the T400 and T500 series now have soldered ram.. could be wrong about that, though.

At least with the T14 Gen 2 I dealt with a bit ago, it did have upgradeable RAM. Half of the memory was soldered directly to the board, so your upgrade path was limited to 48GB or 64GB depending on the initial capacity you went with, but you di still have the option to go with more or less RAM in the future if you need to. 

As to OP, this is nothing new, no Macs since about 2017-ish have been upgradeable, they've all had soldered RAM and soldered SSDs, and IIRC since 2019 they removed the connector on the board to access the SSD data internally to get your data off in case of a board failure. I get wanting to avoid them from a right to repair standpoint, but the problem is most other companies do the exact same thing, so either you go with something like a Framework or a slightly older T480 to get ultimate upgradeability, or you go with one of the many other companies that have followed Apple's lead with limiting upgrade options. Personally, I'm going to avoid them exactly the same amount I have been for the past 10 years, meaning unless they make a very compelling product I won't get one. The M-series Macs are that very compelling product to me, insane battery life without being crazy expensive, and would still recommend (and did buy) one of them, given you buy a high enough spec out of the box. 

1 hour ago, saintlouisbagels said:

It looks like they haven't had upgradeable RAM in laptops in over 10 years?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201165

Yeah my last mac was a mac mini 2012 ram and hd was upgradable

Lian LI 215 CASE

MSI Micro ATX MOTHERBOARD

12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12500T   2.00 GHz

AMD RX 6600 GPU

32 GB OF  DDR4 RAM

30 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The M-series Macs are that very compelling product to me, insane battery life without being crazy expensive

This. 

The amount of computer you get for the money is insane. 0 fan, amazing battery life, great screen, and honestly a great operating system… hard to pass up. 

Apple has a walled garden, but man, it’s a really nice garden. Lol. 

1 hour ago, CrystalApple said:

Unfortunately, this is extremely common knowledge. This is a good lesson in doing research before making large purchasing decisions. Almost every single review I have ever seen for Mac’s over the last ~5 years reminds the reader/viewer there is nothing upgradable about them. This is just the unfortunate future we are moving towards, but it’s also how apple is able to get such fantastic performance while also retaining best in class battery life…. And slim chassis. It takes tight integration to do that. It just is what it is. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

2 minutes ago, CrystalApple said:

Yeah my last mac was a mac mini 2012 ram and hd was upgradable

Well, thankfully, even with 8GB of RAM it’ll run circles around that machine. 

Apple’s tight integration means their RAM has insanely high bandwidth, and can talk to their nvme SSD super fast as a result. I honestly bet 8 GB won’t be much of an issue for you. It is unfortunate, and if it’s a huge concern, if you are still within the return window you can return it and get a 16GB model instead. But I bet the 8GB will be fine unless you do highly RAM intensive stuff. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

43 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

At least with the T14 Gen 2 I dealt with a bit ago, it did have upgradeable RAM. Half of the memory was soldered directly to the board, so your upgrade path was limited to 48GB or 64GB depending on the initial capacity you went with, but you di still have the option to go with more or less RAM in the future if you need to. 

I've currently got a refurb'd T450 that I use for slouched on the couch light computing using Linux, so, thankfully, other than storage, I don't need much more than 8GB anyway. But, I understand that there are a lot of people out there who can't afford to have multiple machines.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy