The JerryRig Razor Knife is Dangerous for Lefties - A Review

Skipple

I purchased my knife directly from jerryrigknife.com, not from LLTStore.com. Thus, I am unable to leave a review on LTTStore. Jerry's site doesn't allow for reviews at all. Hence my post here. 

The JerryRig Razor Knife is a high quality knife that has weight behind it, good build quality, and well worth the money

if you are right-handed.

If you are a southpaw, like myself, the knife is outright dangerous.

The issue stems from the blade release mechanism located on the side of the knife. When holding this with the left hand, the index finger comes close to this release button. I have accidentally pressed this release mechanism in the midst of cutting multiple times, causing the blade to remove itself. This has resulted in coming very close to cutting myself multiple times.

The issue would be alleviated if I simply held the knife lower down the shaft but,

a) Holding the knife in this way removes some dexterity from cutting

b) When I'm whipping the knife out to quickly cut something, I'm not making a conscious effort to review how I'm holding the knife. 

Unfortunately, this means I have to stop using this knife, and give it to someone who's right handed. 

I would happily purchase a "lefty version" where the release button was moved to the other side. 

Oh, and here's some verification that I actually own the knife:

image.thumb.png.423bbf3510f1daf40e206ead3c677b69.png

image.thumb.png.4232f80964bb7f1b08814e9ac745b434.png

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

This is just a case of (but unironically) you're holding it wrong. i don't think i've ever seen anyone hold any kind of knife in such a way that your finger would be ON that release button.

i just grabbed my box cutter and couldn't find any angle that i would be cutting that my finger would end up on the side of the blade.

That's not the fault of the knife, so to try and give it such a review on an official store is quite disingenuous.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I'm lefthanded but also use my right sometimes(I trained my right to be able to write and almost do whatever my left can). Are you an artist or need to hold a cutter/knife at the tip? Do you do that for precision? But yeah, cutter or knife, that's not the right(left lol) way to hold it.

I am right handed and use a Jerry Rig as well, even the pink edition like you and I even find myself sometimes hitting the release at times, usually when closing mostly though. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

13 minutes ago, Arika S said:

This is just a case of (but unironically) you're holding it wrong.

It's the default way I hold the knife. I hold with my index finger forward to maintain control and add pressure to the top of the knife. If you hold a knife different from me, that's fine. I don't think I hold a knife "wrong". Just what works for me. Perhaps this is from my chef's knife training? 

15 minutes ago, Arika S said:

so to try and give it such a review on an official store is quite disingenuous.

This is my experience with the knife and my review. Not sure how that's disingenuous. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

I'ma have to agree with the others, that's a very odd knife grip you're using, so that's probably more of a 'you' issue than the knife issue.

So, I am just going to say from a safety standpoint, Having the finger there is dangerous. Try adjusting your grip to have our index finger ontop of the blade instead of next to it. have your thumb tuck under the handle.

Hello there!

I too am a lefty and as someone who works at packaging I open hundreds of boxes a week. I have experienced the same thing that you are describing multiple times (a day even) and its quite annoying. I think a more intentional

release design ( like the one husky uses) would fix this but I’ve never considered it as dangerous or has resulted in me cutting myself. Just a little thing I have to account for now

tldr: same happens to me, but not dangerous