Question about mining

So as of rn I have a rtx 3060 strix and I really want to mine but  there is a issue. Im just way too paranoid that its going to wear down my components or damage it or something because I would like to mine when im sleeping, gone, at work etc... I cant really afford new parts if something bad occurred but at the same time having work done without your labor is pretty awesome. (Also im not countering in the electricity bill factor"

2 minutes ago, TurkishBTW said:

So as of rn I have a rtx 3060 strix and I really want to mine but  there is a issue. Im just way too paranoid that its going to wear down my components or damage it or something because I would like to mine when im sleeping, gone, at work etc... I cant really afford new parts if something bad occurred but at the same time having work done without your labor is pretty awesome. (Also im not countering in the electricity bill factor"

a GPU is designed to run at 100% full speed 24/7 as long as the GPU temperatures are resonable.   Yes the fans might wear down slightly faster and the general life span may be shortened by a few %, but as long as temps are good the card doesn't know if its mining or playing WoW 18 hours a day.  Just remember to keep the GPU fans clean with compressed air more often as your PC will be running all the time.

1 minute ago, Hinjima said:

a GPU is designed to run at 100% full speed 24/7 as long as the GPU temperatures are resonable.

thats the first i've ever heard of that

1 minute ago, emosun said:

so his answer is false?

What do you mean? Its obviously designed to push max frames all the time so running the GPU with 100% GPU usage while gaming is what its made for.  If its 3 hours, 7 hours or 24 hours a day, makes no difference.

Silicon does degrade with use but it's not really a concern / common failure issue.

Though why not factor in the electic bill? If electricity is more expensive than mined coins there is no point anyway 😛

1 minute ago, TurkishBTW said:

so his answer is false?

1 minute ago, Hinjima said:

What do you mean?

i'm not aware of any high end gpus that are designed to run at 100% load indefinitely. I know of plenty of lower end display chips that simply cannot generate enough heat that can run at 100% usage indefinitely.

Most gpu's don't use very high quality thermal paste or pads and the hotter they run the quicker thermal interface depletes thus requiring service more often. Video games aren't really going to load a gpu to 100% usage the same as a compute task will.

So expecting the laws of physics to just bend to your intentions isn't super smart when considering thermal runaway over time.

Of course i'm sure the coin miners that are pressure washing pallets of gpu's in their driveway only donate to the most ethical charities and always wear their seat belts so theres no situation where a gpu running hotter somehow has any sort of effect.

but i'd love to hear the classic oldies and hits from the "mining hardware isn't worn out" radio station if you'd like to play them.

i'm not aware of any high end gpus that are designed to run at 100% load indefinitely. I know of plenty of lower end display chips that simply cannot generate enough heat that can run at 100% usage indefinitely.

Most gpu's don't use very high quality thermal paste or pads and the hotter they run the quicker thermal interface depletes thus requiring service more often. Video games aren't really going to load a gpu to 100% usage the same as a compute task will.

So expecting the laws of physics to just bend to your intentions isn't super smart when considering thermal runaway over time.

Of course i'm sure the coin miners that are pressure washing pallets of gpu's in their driveway only donate to the most ethical charities and always wear their seat belts so theres no situation where a gpu running hotter somehow has any sort of effect.

but i'd love to hear the classic oldies and hits from the "mining hardware isn't worn out" radio station if you'd like to play them.

I did state that its safe as long as the temperatures are in check. Obviously over time that is something that degrades and one might have to do a repaste.  I personaly wouldn't worry if my GPU ran at 100% usage for the next 6 years if everything is cool and maintained.

15 minutes ago, emosun said:

That's kinda a different issue though.  As its the heating/cooling cycles that wear out the chip itself faster, so assuming they aren't overheating they should last longer at a constant load than they would in gaming where they are both thermally cycling more aggressively as well as suffering more current surges as the load changes.

Its pretty much been the case forever that electrical devices constantly turned on and off wear out quicker than things running 24/7 as they suffer more stress.  Of course how often you upgrade counts, as it could be something you turn off frequently you replace before it breaks anyway and running it 24/7 would break it within its operational life span.  Its why its not exactly a simple thing to work out.

I'd probably be more concerned with running something flat-out when not at home or asleep, as if something did go wrong and cause a fire, you aren't there to turn it off.  Same reason its not recommended to charge your phone overnight.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7