CPU permanently stuck on lowest clock speed.

Hi, I have an hp 14-fq1040ca laptop and the processor has been stuck on the lowest speed (400 MHz) for about a week now. The problem started when I installed a windows update last week and I had a very low battery percentage (although that may not have had anything to do with it). I've tried restarting, updating the BIOS, changing power management settings, unplugging and plugging back in both the battery pack and fan (they both work fine), and just leaving it plugged in for a day. I think it may have something to do with how much power the cpu is getting (as it doesn't seem to be thermal throttling), though I am not very familiar with how that works / how I would fix it.

Included is a screenshot from a hardware monitoring tool.

Please help 🙂

2023-06-22 16_53_13.png

This is a symptom of having bd prochot (motherboard thinks your cpu or power delivery is overheating). It can be triggered by the vrm system getting too hot (poor heatsink contact for example). It can also be a bad sensor readout.

what do the motherboard sensors read?

you should be able to use Ryzen Master to disable bd prochot, but it could cause damage if there is an underlying real reason why the throttling is happening.

Just now, Whatisthis said:

what do the motherboard sensors read?

How do I check this?

Also my cpu (5700u) isn't supported by ryzen master 😕

basically you need to get a new motherboard, or find a way to cool down your  cpu 

It’s probably a bad motherboard.

In not sure if there is software that will let you read the throttling data and disable bd prochot. On intel there is throttlestop and amd Ryzen master that I know of. 

I'd probably do the usual test, either clean install the OS or try Linux on a USB stick.

Of course given the timing it could maybe be aad PSU or failing battery management?  Does it still throttle on battery power?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Also checking thermal paste should be done as well, and to make sure any fans / pumps on your CPU cooler or rad are working.

I just have run into this with a fan failing and if you have had some issues with over heating and blue screens leading up to this, with bad thermal paste.

• 9 months later...
On 6/23/2023 at 8:28 AM, Alex Atkin UK said:

I'd probably do the usual test, either clean install the OS or try Linux on a USB stick.

Of course given the timing it could maybe be aad PSU or failing battery management?  Does it still throttle on battery power?

I have the same problem and mine doesn't throttle on battery but gets stuck at 0.39GHz when on power from the mains. Do you have a potential solution for this by chance?

On 6/22/2023 at 6:59 PM, Guest said:

Included is a screenshot from a hardware monitoring tool.

The screenshot shows the CPU is idle, though. Downclocking in such circumstances is expected behavior. Can you take another one while stressing the CPU a bit?

Also, I would assume they fixed it later, but 1st gen Ryzen (i.e., 2xxx laptop chips) had a sleep bug, which caused some combinations of sleeping and plugging/unplugging (I believe it is sleeping while plugged, then unplugging and waking up, but not 100% sure - even though I got one myself 😛) to produced a stuck CPU at lowest clock. Just plugging it back would un-stuck it, though. Doesn't seem to be your case.