Thoughts on Soylent

Shahrad
12 hours ago, fpo said:

Okay, and? 

It's a line from an old 70s movie

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

7 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

It's a line from an old 70s movie

Spoiler

I know lol

1 minute ago, fpo said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I know lol

Ok, wasn't sure

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

6 hours ago, XWAUForceflow said:

I thought @LinusTech said you wouldn't accept health/supplement sponsors as a general rule. In my opinion (knowing nothing about Soylent, so this truly is about this rule in general) this is a very good rule. The food and especially health/supplements industry is really not known for being upfront and honest.

There are always so many variables to take into account when it comes to food and your own health that anybody who claims to sell you 'the solution to your problems' or 'Soylent has created the most nutritionally complete, most convenient, and most sustainable, food on the planet.' is straight up lying to you. It is incredibly difficult to truly investigate the benefits and dangers of any sort of supplement and even food in general. So any claim that a product makes is simply only guesswork. It might be true for you, but it sure wont be true for all.

Again, I know nothing about Soylent and they might be a great company. But I would absolutely stay away from any product of that sort.

its not a health/supplement. Its closser to hello fresh, or their jerky sponsor. Its Food. 

On 6/21/2023 at 7:59 PM, fella.hadid said:

Hello peeps,

I wanted to get a quick temperature check on Soylent since they've expressed interest in sponsoring us:

https://soylent.com/

I personally use them regularly but I wanted to get a gauge on what the community thinks of the company.

Let me know what y'all think!

Do they still make it out of dead people? If they do, I don’t think people would like it if they sponsored you. Personally thought, I think that’s kind of metal.

10 hours ago, starsmine said:

What I did learn is that one of the proteins in it does false positive on a bomb screening this summer when my sister took some through tsa. 

What the heck?

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

On 6/23/2023 at 12:22 PM, starsmine said:

its not a health/supplement. Its closser to hello fresh, or their jerky sponsor. Its Food. 

“Food.”

On 6/23/2023 at 1:28 PM, packolamas said:

Do they still make it out of dead people? If they do, I don’t think people would like it if they sponsored you. Personally thought, I think that’s kind of metal.

That was just a movie…

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

8 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

That was just a movie…

Or was it...?

On 6/25/2023 at 10:50 PM, Erioch said:

Or was it...?

Well Soylent Green is from a movie that takes place in the far future of 2022. So maybe it is people.

Do we get to see Linus drink it from an LTT bottle, and then 10 videos later shit blood? 😆

This post has been ninja-edited while you weren't looking.

I'm a used parts bottom feeder.  Your loss is my gain.

I like people who tell good RGB jokes.

22 hours ago, Ultraforce said:

Well Soylent Green is from a movie that takes place in the far future of 2022. So maybe it is people.

Yeah, they showed us the movie in junior high.

• 4 weeks later...

The product did not agree with me  (I was stupid and didn't read the info that it has tree nuts luckily my allergy are digestive and not anaphylactic)  .     The refunded me the entire cost of my order and told me to give it to my friends.  

On 6/21/2023 at 7:10 PM, Inception9269 said:

Obviously y'all are free to endorse whatever you guys want, but me personally I don't drink that crap cause I'm a man.

A lot of the issues people have with Soy is entirely pseudoscience, Hbomberguy made an excellent destruction of the stigma against soy-based products. In layman's terms, it doesn't reduce testosterone levels, and men worry far too much about these things for their mental health.

ioletsgo@Noir  
-------------  
Host: MS-7D54 1.0  
Kernel: 6.4.6-arch1-1  
Uptime: 6 hours, 46 mins  
Packages: 938 (pacman)  
Shell: bash 5.1.16  
Resolution: 1920x1080  
DE: Plasma 5.27.6  
WM: kwin  
Theme: [Plasma], Breeze [GTK2/3]  
Icons: BeautyLine [Plasma], BeautyLine [GTK2/3]  
Terminal: konsole  
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D (16) @ 3.400GHz  
GPU: AMD ATI Radeon RX 6400/6500 XT/6500M  
GPU: AMD ATI Radeon RX 6700/6700 XT/6750 XT / 6800M/6850M XT  

17 hours ago, ioletsgo said:

A lot of the issues people have with Soy is entirely pseudoscience, Hbomberguy made an excellent destruction of the stigma against soy-based products. In layman's terms, it doesn't reduce testosterone levels, and men worry far too much about these things for their mental health.

Cant say I ever had an issue with testosterone with soy... being never new it was thing. Soy just tastes nasty in pretty much everything its in, so I avoid it.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

23 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Cant say I ever had an issue with testosterone with soy... being never new it was thing. Soy just tastes nasty in pretty much everything its in, so I avoid it.

Ain't no problem with that, I just dislike people disregarding stuff because of some manosphere type nonsense that only builds to the growing male mental health crisis. (i'm obviously saying it in broad terms in an attempt to prevent this discussion from getting political)

ioletsgo@Noir  
-------------  

i'm apparently late to the party, and boy what a party this thread is...

i do have my two cents on this topic, and why i have a problem with the majority of "food replacement" companies.

there's more to "healthy food" than the nutrients inside it, there's more to a balanced diet than the math done by some company. i understand the benefit of a quick and handy food replacement drink, but it always seems like it's advertised as something that you can use as the majority of your food intake.. which just isnt a good way to go.

i am in no way qualified to actually talk about all of this, but it feels like there's a thin line here where one could assume at least part of the target audence is very suceptible to this marketing (because f*ck cooking in college), and there might be some responsibility in protecting those individuals from themselves.

i've seen savage jerky mentioned, IMO that's different.. because they actually market it as a "snack", as opposed to some sort of hype new superfood that makes you feel "in the know" for using it.

so in other words; do i think this is a horrible product? no. i just think it's marketed wrong, and that's just sort of where people like LMG may come into play. perhaps if there's a mutual agreement between LMG and soylent that it's about "occasional" meal replacement?

Overall i think the consensus is that You Will Probably Be Made Fun Of For It, there isn't anything necessarily wrong with the product, however the cultural stigma of Soy-based products isn't something you can just overlook. the clip would probably be clipped and posted online and could become a short viral meme (like the time Antvenom did a sponsor segment with Soylent).

ioletsgo@Noir  
-------------  

I feel like everyone here is on the internet too much or think that tech bros (and the people who mock tech bros) are the majority representation of people.

I drink Soylent at work. We're a large Fortune 500 company or whatever. I've only met like 1 person who recognized what Soylent was, and all they did was ask about the taste. Most people who notice just intuitively understand it's a meal replacement drink..

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

• 3 weeks later...

I've used it for years, often as a "quick breakfast". I work a 24/7 on-call job, so being able to have something decent at a moments notice is appealing to me. I probably go through about four bottles a week, so it's not like it makes up a huge part of my diet. It's worth mentioning that their offerings are rather limited here in Canada.

MSI Z170A Gaming M7 ͓  i7 6700k ͓  16GB DDR4-3200 ͓  EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Super XC Ultra Gaming

Older post, I would not go with Soylent. It is advertised as a way to replace your meals. I did just that and had a horrible headaches and general weakness. When I went off it, I went back to normal.

There is more to food then a slurry of nutrients. There is a reason why you see Vitamin C has a 500% dose on the bottle. The body's actual ability to absorb it in that form is limited.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought some after UFD sponsored, it's great when I'm stressed and just need to make sure I have something in me so i don't skip a meal. But it does seem to fasten the emptiness of my system