Thoughts on Soylent

Shahrad

Hello peeps,

I wanted to get a quick temperature check on Soylent since they've expressed interest in sponsoring us:

https://soylent.com/

I personally use them regularly but I wanted to get a gauge on what the community thinks of the company.

Let me know what y'all think!

Obviously y'all are free to endorse whatever you guys want, but me personally I don't drink that crap cause I'm a man.

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

I love Soylent. I haven't seen them in the news for a long time so I guess that's a good thing.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

15 minutes ago, fella.hadid said:

I wanted to get a quick temperature check on Soylent since they've expressed interest in sponsoring us:

https://soylent.com/

We're so not escaping the "tech is for betas" accusations by the bigoted are we?

But yeah, they are legitimate. Grats on another possible big time sponsor.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

1 minute ago, SorryClaire said:

We're so not escaping the "tech is for betas" accusations by the bigoted are we?

But yeah, they are legitimate. Grats on another possible big time sponsor.

Do we care about opinions from bigoted people?
I mean, c'mon, from 1 anime fan to another lol.

| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

I would not push "Health and food" Products that are like that. It was a company made in jest at Soylent Green, was funny for the first few times. But after seeing most of their products being just not really great for people and not healthy, i just dont see the point. Its just another "Health Fad" type food that isnt all that good to advertise.

Just now, saintlouisbagels said:

Do we care about opinions from bigoted people?
I mean, c'mon, from 1 anime fan to another lol.

100%. Just find it funny that we are about to be sponsored by the butt of their few actually kinda funny joke.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Isn't it basically Ensure with clever marketing?

I remember when they released their first products, they were surrounded by the obvious jokes about food replacements from a dystopian nightmare future. I guess that's run its course?

I've never had any of their stuff, but I don't find the idea of "meal replacement shakes" all that appealing either. I don't see anything inherently wrong with taking this sponsorship.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Uhm... what?
image.png.c0e69dce3638d21bdbf343a8898071cb.png

https://soylent.com/pages/weight-management-and-nutrition-soylent

image.png.2b5dcaeecfd9435910410baf0886b5e8.png

https://soylent.com/blogs/news/check-your-carbs-why-low-glycemic-is-important

So maybe it has GI 18, maybe it is 36-44...
Fk, guess I'll have to wear a CGM to find out. (also the link for 36-44 is dead)

------------

image.png.6cdbc1c971032ab0c08676b32e3156a1.png

https://soylent.com/blogs/news/check-your-carbs-why-low-glycemic-is-important

So, the drink is designed to spike my BG (maltodextrin) and once that high is done the slow carbs kick in, keeping my BG high?
Is that what they were aiming for? 😆

By the way, maltodextrin: 
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6835893/
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0052132
(tldr: not very good for your gut...)

1 hour ago, fella.hadid said:

Let me know what y'all think!

I am not a nutritionists, but I think you should consult with one before taking on sponsors like this one.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

34 minutes ago, Biohazard777 said:

By the way, maltodextrin: 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6835893/
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0052132
(tldr: not very good for your gut...)

I am not a nutritionists, but I think you should consult with one before taking on sponsors like this one.

Maltodextrin is also present in corn, rice, generally starchy and processed foods... you know, normal foods everyday people eat.
So this is pointless fear-mongering.

3 minutes ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Maltodextrin is also present in corn, rice, generally starchy and processed foods... you know, normal foods everyday people eat.

Yeah, and look how healthy we are nowadays! 😆

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

Wasnt it Luke that used soylent for a month or so 10 years ago? @Slick I am genuinely interested in the product and would use it (only if it was sold here). Back in 2014 they had major production related issues that gave me safety concerns.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I'm fine with it, a similar product helped me keep going after dental surgery a few years back.

Green is best.

1 hour ago, Sakuriru said:

I personally drink that crap because I'm a man.

Same.

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

I've heard a lot mixed things about Soylent... everyone I know who has used it as a long term meal replacement has said it hasn't been that great though... and has since stopped. 

Overall I have a negative perception of that stuff. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I ordered it day one of availability in Canada, and it was fine.  I didn't really mind it or love it, and just went back to eating real food because flavour is nice.

I would say it's definitely useful in certain situations and can be a good way to force yourself to be serious about diet and physical wellness.  But it's not for everyone and most people won't enjoy it for in the long term.

Would like to see LMG staff use it and get serious about being healthy, some of the hosts on staff may benefit from this product.

It helped me get on the weight loss path.

ArsTechnica did several in-depth articles on both the product, and the owner (who was at the time of Soylent's founding, quite the loon)

Dunno if anything has changed since then, as this was a number of years ago.

This is rather long, but HIGHLY amusing 

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/08/ars-does-soylent-day-1-embrace-the-chalky-weird-sweetness/

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 hour ago, Erioch said:

IT'S PEOPLE!

Okay, and? 

I honestly really enjoy soylent.

Im baffled by the hate here. It's a meal replacement shake, and one of the better ones on the market. 

14 hours ago, Fred Castellum said:

I've heard a lot mixed things about Soylent... everyone I know who has used it as a long term meal replacement has said it hasn't been that great though... and has since stopped. 

Overall I have a negative perception of that stuff. 

you dont use it for every meal. you just use it as quick calories that have a healthy macro mix that you dont need to put any thought into once purchased. Make sure you still eat a healthy and varied diet. 

What I did learn is that one of the proteins in it does false positive on a bomb screening this summer when my sister took some through tsa. 

I thought @LinusTech said you wouldn't accept health/supplement sponsors as a general rule. In my opinion (knowing nothing about Soylent, so this truly is about this rule in general) this is a very good rule. The food and especially health/supplements industry is really not known for being upfront and honest.

There are always so many variables to take into account when it comes to food and your own health that anybody who claims to sell you 'the solution to your problems' or 'Soylent has created the most nutritionally complete, most convenient, and most sustainable, food on the planet.' is straight up lying to you. It is incredibly difficult to truly investigate the benefits and dangers of any sort of supplement and even food in general. So any claim that a product makes is simply only guesswork. It might be true for you, but it sure wont be true for all.

Again, I know nothing about Soylent and they might be a great company. But I would absolutely stay away from any product of that sort.