ASUS RMA Shenanigans

Hello,

I recently attempted to get an RMA on my ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi) because it would not boot. When power was turned on, nothing would light up. The power supply, CPU, and RAM all worked on a different motherboard so I completed the RMA request on June 7, 2023 and shipped it on June 9, 2023. Beside the stupid fact that I have to pay shipping on ASUS's product that no longer works but that is a different conversation. My RMA warranty was declined on the account of the first picture provided. This seems like a wildly outrageous reason to deny a total motherboard failure for scratches that are at the end of the PCIE slot (second picture).

Along with the denial of warranty from ASUS, they also provided a bill if I were to proceed with their "repair" quoted to $314.58 USD. Does anyone have any insight onto why that bill would be so high if a new one costs $210 new on Newegg with the addition of ASUS adding a labor fee and a shipping fee for an 50% upcharge of my own product back to me for a reason that has nothing to do with why the motherboard won't turn on.

Any info is appreciated!

RMAmotherboard.jpg

MyMotherboard.png

ASUSbill.png

because they know you arent going to do it or anything about it. You dont have an online following, nor will you make a big deal out of it. You will either just shut up and do it, or buy a new board. This is how they treat 99% of their customers, unless you get someone to hound the absolute shit out of them, they wont do a damn thing for you and look for ANYTHING to avoid doing it. This is how these brands do business, its up to you whether or not you continue to do business with them.

This is why RMA and such and "warranty" means pretty much nothing to Gigabyte and ASUS. They will deny you for stuff like that on the board, although it is concerning why there are surface level scratches on that spot of the board, they dont seem to be going all that deep. If they were deep scratches that carved out traces, yeah i could see them denying warranty on that as thats not a fault of the board but user error.

On the side of the cost? Labor and time to fix that kind of thing can be a pain if they did damage traces, and most likely its just better then they replace the entire board and recycle it on their end rather then try to repair it, but thats not how they do business.

Given how Gigabyte treated the alleged GPU crack, its expected Asus will do the same.

You would have better luck brought that to a local computer shop to get that checked out. But at your current stage, there are not much you can do, since you can't prove the scratch was not the cause of no POST...

Ok. Thanks. I don't live locally near any board-level repair so I would need to ship it. I thought ASUS would've been fine. Guess not.

23 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

because they know you arent going to do it or anything about it. You dont have an online following, nor will you make a big deal out of it. You will either just shut up and do it, or buy a new board. This is how they treat 99% of their customers, unless you get someone to hound the absolute shit out of them, they wont do a damn thing for you and look for ANYTHING to avoid doing it. This is how these brands do business, its up to you whether or not you continue to do business with them.

This is why RMA and such and "warranty" means pretty much nothing to Gigabyte and ASUS. They will deny you for stuff like that on the board, although it is concerning why there are surface level scratches on that spot of the board, they dont seem to be going all that deep. If they were deep scratches that carved out traces, yeah i could see them denying warranty on that as thats not a fault of the board but user error.

On the side of the cost? Labor and time to fix that kind of thing can be a pain if they did damage traces, and most likely its just better then they replace the entire board and recycle it on their end rather then try to repair it, but thats not how they do business.

I feel even if I had any sort of following, they would still be inclined to not do much. I thought that was something Jay had an issue with.

7 minutes ago, CoolBuster999 said:

I feel even if I had any sort of following, they would still be inclined to not do much. I thought that was something Jay had an issue with.

Jay had issues with their QC department being awful since he kept getting bad mobos and such. They freaked out when GamersNexus called them out and went panic mode for a few days to cover their asses, but its back to the usual for them.

1 hour ago, CoolBuster999 said:

Beside the stupid fact that I have to pay shipping on ASUS's product that no longer works

In my country that's illegal, maybe it's illegal in your country as well.

This seems like a wildly outrageous reason to deny a total motherboard failure for scratches that are at the end of the PCIE slot (second picture).

Scratches can sever traces and if the scratches are the cause of the failure than it's user damage and out of warranty.

35 minutes ago, CoolBuster999 said:

Ok. Thanks. I don't live locally near any board-level repair so I would need to ship it. I thought ASUS would've been fine. Guess not.

Don't you have a consumer protection agency or something like that in your country?

You should leverage your legal rights, consumer protection and rights.

Along with the denial of warranty from ASUS, they also provided a bill if I were to proceed with their "repair" quoted to $314.58 USD. Does anyone have any insight onto why that bill would be so high if a new one costs $210 new on Newegg with the addition of ASUS adding a labor fee and a shipping fee for an 50% upcharge of my own product back to me for a reason that has nothing to do with why the motherboard won't turn on.

Fixing this won't come close to what they are asking for.

The reason for it is: PROFIT.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

I honestly treat things I buy as if they have no warranty.

The WiFi (why!!!) washing machine in the house I bought has a 10-year warranty.  The lid lock sensor got stuck and my washing machine would neither start nor drain.  Sure, the warranty is there, but I still have to pay $100 for a service call even if the parts are covered.  Forget that, I just pried it out with a screwdriver, cleaned and lubed the mechanical switch sensor and stuck it back in.  Forget the warranty.

This is one of the reason I just buy mostly used computer parts nowadays, because I know the warranty isn't worth the hassle.

This post has been ninja-edited while you weren't looking.

I'm a used parts bottom feeder.  Your loss is my gain.

I like people who tell good RGB jokes.

Is this a new board? If so take it back, if not then they denied you because you have a physically damaged board that did not leave the factory that way.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN8501TB, SN850X2TB
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14, TL-D14X