hello, what are your House bills? I never owned a home

echy

hello, what are your House bills? I never owned a home.

Stuff such as like mortgage, the trash bills, stuff like that.

I want to see for the future how much everything might cost if I do get a home. I know it can very from area. I am curious what your bills for a home are?

This is going to vary wildly based on where you're located.

That said, I think I pay ~$60/mo for trash, recycling, sewer and water. Then ~$125-200/mo for electricity and natural gas. Internet is another $75/mo. In general homeowners insurance is about $100-150/100k of home value per month. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Pretty well any decent size city will have a subreddit where people talk about this stuff. Where I live in Calgary, with a 1200sqft house on a big lot worth around 450k, we pay about 2200/mo for the mortgage, ~200 for gas and power, around the same for water and waste. Insurance is together with the car so I don’t know what it would run separately offhand but it’s not too much. Internet’s about 130/mo 

In the US homeowners insurance + taxes (usually) are lumped into your mortgage payment and come out of an escrow account once a year. Each year the mortgage company will review the escrow account to make sure you'll have enough funds and you could get a small refund if it will be projected to be too much or you can pay the difference up front or have it rolled into your monthly payments.

Rough ballparks since it depends on what you want and are willing to spend per month

Internet: $50 to $100+

Streaming services and/or TV: $10 to $$$$

Cellphone: $25 to $100+/month; Depends on your plan/contract/etc

Utilities: Still vary but estimates for me are here

Electricity: Will vary by usage (usually) and where you live the rates can vary per kW/h so hard to say. For me I pay about $150/month

Water/Sewage/Trash: Vary a good bit too as others have said. For me it's about $50/month for all of it

Gas can depend on your location, further south the less common it can become for heating but can still be used for cooking so prices vary a ton. I don't have any gas service.

Other:

Maintenance, no matter if you by a home, townhome, etc you would be wise to set aside some money for repairs and upkeep if at all possible.

HOA dues: If you move into a HOA community (evil), especially condos and townhomes, be prepared to pay for that too. Could be anywhere from $100/year to $250+/month easily.

For me it breaks down roughly as such to about $2500/month:

Mortgage: $1800

Internet: $110

Streaming: $80

Cellphone: $80

Electricity: $150

Water/Sewage/Trash: $50

HOA: $220

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

In nyc, it is 2.2k per month renting a room with roomate and 5k mortgage if you own a single family home assuming you put like 10% down payment. 

Both also require utilities bills. Latter also comes with annual property taxes and whatever maintenance costs

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Monthly, strictly related to the house

Mortgage: $1450

Electricity and Gas: $140

Internet: $70

Sewage and Trash: $60

Assorted forms of insurance: $200

Water is free here up to a certain point, (though lawn watering is also prohibited)

Just under $2000/month on the home alone, with a $1450 a month mortgage. This is for a two story 3 bedroom 3 bathroom house in Indiana with a two car garage for context.

Not house related

Phone: $30

Car insurance: $250 for both cars 

Assorted subscriptions: $20

All in, around $2400 a month is spent on non consumables. My fuel cost monthly is like $50, miscellaneous maintenance and such is variable, groceries are on average $300 a month for me, but I lump in a lot of things as “comes from the grocery store” like shampoo.

A lot of this really depends on where you’re looking to live, and what your expenses are going to be, and what those expenses cost in that area. I live in a place with free water, that’s an extremely rare thing, not like a water bill is super expensive anyway but it’s an outlier to the norm. I also don’t have TV or any streaming services, my $20 a month in subscriptions is for SecondLife.

My phone is $30 a month because its an annual mint mobile plan so it’s not really monthly, it’s $360 all at once.

My electricity costs go down in winter because I got used to sleeping in freezing weather so I don’t run the heat in winter.

19 minutes ago, 8tg said:

Monthly, strictly related to the house

Mortgage: $1450

Electricity and Gas: $140

Internet: $70

Sewage and Trash: $60

Assorted forms of insurance: $200

Water is free here up to a certain point, (though lawn watering is also prohibited)

Just under $2000/month on the home alone, with a $1450 a month mortgage. This is for a two story 3 bedroom 3 bathroom house in Indiana with a two car garage for context.

Not house related

Phone: $30

Car insurance: $250 for both cars 

Assorted subscriptions: $20

All in, around $2400 a month is spent on non consumables. My fuel cost monthly is like $50, miscellaneous maintenance and such is variable, groceries are on average $300 a month for me, but I lump in a lot of things as “comes from the grocery store” like shampoo.

A lot of this really depends on where you’re looking to live, and what your expenses are going to be, and what those expenses cost in that area. I live in a place with free water, that’s an extremely rare thing, not like a water bill is super expensive anyway but it’s an outlier to the norm. I also don’t have TV or any streaming services, my $20 a month in subscriptions is for SecondLife.

My phone is $30 a month because its an annual mint mobile plan so it’s not really monthly, it’s $360 all at once.

My electricity costs go down in winter because I got used to sleeping in freezing weather so I don’t run the heat in winter.

Do you know how much your house total price at the time you bought it and what year? 

On Zillow I see houses cost 600,000$ in California with a total monthly approximate expense of approximately 5000$ monthly (this including the property tax + mortgage loan+ house insurance).   

Asking because your mortgage loan is 1450$  and on zillow the listings I am looking at are like 5000$ monthly in this part of California. That's like a noticeable difference. How did you get a low mortgage?

4 hours ago, Lurick said:

In the US homeowners insurance + taxes (usually) are lumped into your mortgage payment and come out of an escrow account once a year. Each year the mortgage company will review the escrow account to make sure you'll have enough funds and you could get a small refund if it will be projected to be too much or you can pay the difference up front or have it rolled into your monthly payments.

Rough ballparks since it depends on what you want and are willing to spend per month

Internet: $50 to $100+

Streaming services and/or TV: $10 to $$$$

Cellphone: $25 to $100+/month; Depends on your plan/contract/etc

Utilities: Still vary but estimates for me are here

Electricity: Will vary by usage (usually) and where you live the rates can vary per kW/h so hard to say. For me I pay about $150/month

Water/Sewage/Trash: Vary a good bit too as others have said. For me it's about $50/month for all of it

Gas can depend on your location, further south the less common it can become for heating but can still be used for cooking so prices vary a ton. I don't have any gas service.

Other:

Maintenance, no matter if you by a home, townhome, etc you would be wise to set aside some money for repairs and upkeep if at all possible.

HOA dues: If you move into a HOA community (evil), especially condos and townhomes, be prepared to pay for that too. Could be anywhere from $100/year to $250+/month easily.

For me it breaks down roughly as such to about $2500/month:

Mortgage: $1800

Internet: $110

Streaming: $80

Cellphone: $80

Electricity: $150

Water/Sewage/Trash: $50

HOA: $220

Do you know how much your house total price at the time you bought it and what year? 

On Zillow I see houses cost 600,000$ in California with a total monthly approximate expense of approximately 5000$ monthly (this including the property tax + mortgage loan+ house insurance).   

Asking because your mortgage loan is 1800$  and on zillow the listings I am looking at are like 5000$ monthly in this part of California. That's like a noticeable difference. How did you get a low mortgage?

1 minute ago, echy said:

I am looking at are like 5000$ monthly in this part of California. That's like a noticeable difference. How did you get a low mortgage?

Step 1. Don't buy in California

Step 2. Buy your house 20+ years ago

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Basically this

Why is my mortgage relative low? I live in beach Indiana:

IMG_5152.thumb.jpeg.380bb97241f0e5aff7075343bfca4cbd.jpeg

Houses are cheap here. I’m in the middle balance of not suburban, not rural/small town, but not in the city.

The mortgage on my house is a result of putting a decent chunk down, having good credit, and having the income to do higher monthly payments for a shorter term mortgage.

7 hours ago, echy said:

Asking because your mortgage loan is 1800$  and on zillow the listings I am looking at are like 5000$ monthly in this part of California. That's like a noticeable difference. How did you get a low mortgage?

Yup, as others have said, don't buy in California 😄

I'm in North Carolina and bought a couple years before everything went to shit. I paid about $200K in 2018

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 hour ago, Lurick said:

Yup, as others have said, don't buy in California 😄

I'm in North Carolina and bought a couple years before everything went to shit. I paid about $200K in 2018

Funny how prices can go to reasonable to unobtainable in just a few years.

In 2019 you could buy a piece of land and build a house for about 300-400K € here in Germany. Now you spend more like 700-800K for the same thing. It's absolutely insane.

When i think about it some more: My parents bought their house with a big piece of land for around 120K DEM (pre-euro german currency), which converts to around 60K USD.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

10 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

Funny how prices can go to reasonable to unobtainable in just a few years.

For sure, my house that I bought in 2015 has went up 250% since then... It for sure should not be worth that yet here we are...

23 hours ago, Spotty said:

Welp, guess I need to put together that time machine. 😄

We have the same problem on BC's (Canada) West Coast where everyone I know who doesn't have the luxury of already owning a home is faced with leaving their friends and family behind to move somewhere cheaper, robbing a bank, or living at home until a miracle happens. Even those making just under double the average wage (around $65-80K CAD) have a difficult time getting approval from banks, even if they've got no other debts.

I'm holding out to find a multi-acre piece of land just big enough to house a few tiny homes with close friends, cause that's the only attainable option for most of us, at least until we get that time machine working. You got any leads on a golden time-dimension spring by chance?

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)