Need Help Buying Headphones

rdeng2614

I need help buying some good headphones. I have a budget around 300$, but I can go over if the headphones are good enough. I want to use them not only in my home but sometimes also use them on the go sometimes as well. I listen to all genres but I am not too much of an audiophile. I like rock, pop, some rap and some classical. I currently have a couple options that are available to me.

1.One Headphone for home use and earphones for on the go. (Would prefer a open back design for the in home use headphone)

2. A closed back headphone for home use and on the go.

I value comfort very heavily. I want headphones that are extremely comfortable to wear. Build quality can be adequate as long as slight drops will not break it. 

Finally, I would prefer to not use a DAC/Amp with these unless there were some portable solutions available. 

Thanks everyone for your inputs!

Edit: Here are some headphones I have been looking at recently: Bowers and WIlkins P7, PSB M4U1, Sennheiser Momentum, BeyerDynamic DT 880/990. I have also been looking at the NAD Visio HP 50 as well.

Well here come the ATH-M50 fanboys. Just wanted to clear that up before they arrived.

Everyone just recommends the ATH-M50, please consider something better. Although good headphones, they are also the single biggest over hyped pair of headphones.

With a budget of 300$, don't get the ATH-M50's.

If you don't mind the color, id recommend the Sennheiser HD598

no one would recommend the M50 when the budget is 300 :P the M50 is for much lower budgets.

I would recommend Sennheiser HD598, HD600, HD650, V mode Crossfade M-100, they look great, fit great and sound amazing(have these myself), there you have open back and closed back options, and then there are other brands aswell but im not very familiar with those so i will leave that to others :)

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

Comfort is very personal, so it's something you kind of have to experiment with. There are companies that make different ear tips, those can sometimes be a life saver if you find the ones that come with unbearable.

Definitely try the different sizes. They'll have different sealing properties. No one's ears are the same.

I'd go with an open back for home and IEM's for on the go. After years of toting around cans, getting a set of IEM's was one of the best decisions I've ever made. Nothing like being able to toss it into your pocket.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

My vote goes to the Beyerdynamic 880 Premiums. Great headphones for the monies. 

NAD visio HP50 is well worth looking at. Fits your budget perfectly, very efficient and can be driven from smart phones, closed back so can be used portably.

They sound fantastic. Very neutral, full bass extension and super clear.

Only downside is that they are a little ugly - to my tastes anyway - but make your own mind up on that one.

If any of you paid attention to his post, you'll find that he actually wants 2 pairs. 

Beyerdynamic custom one pros and AKg K612 would be my recommendation. If you get them both on sale, you might be able to get them for around $300. The COP are on Massdrop for $160 right now and I got K612 for $150 off of Ebay.

I didn't notice, but would have to say he'd end up better off with one good set that can be used in either situation rather than one middling headphone for each.

If any of you paid attention to his post, you'll find that he actually wants 2 pairs. 

Beyerdynamic custom one pros and AKg K612 would be my recommendation. If you get them both on sale, you might be able to get them for around $300. The COP are on Massdrop for $160 right now and I got K612 for $150 off of Ebay.

If you paid any attention to his post, you'll find that he either wants a closed-back all around headphone(which the NAD visio HP50 fit, but aren't that portable) or an open pair for home and earphones on the go.

1. One Headphone for in home and on the go. (Closed Back design and fairly portable)

OR

2. One Headphone for home use and earphones for on the go. (Would prefer a open back design for the in home use headphone)

If you paid any attention to his post, you'll find that he either wants a closed-back all around headphone(which the NAD visio HP50 fit, but aren't that portable) or an open pair for home and earphones on the go.

Pretty sure the OR wasn't there before...well either way my recommendation still stands. COP are portable and can be  used as main drivers. Around the $150 mark is usually a good value. 

If $300 is for 1 headphone, and you like warm and solid sound, I'd recommend the HE400. It's bulky and bit heavy though, so I think only for home personal use. 

Pretty sure the OR wasn't there before...well either way my recommendation still stands. COP are portable and can be  used as main drivers. Around the $150 mark is usually a good value. 

The COP is rising in price? On massdrop it's $160 on the max discount

The COP is rising in price? On massdrop it's $160 on the max discount

Yeah Massdrop is the exception. On Amazon, they're $200 which is not worth it imo. I just bought a pair in the classifieds for $105 to try them out and probably sell them after. 

Edit: I'm pretty sure they were like $170 before but I could be wrong. DT770 also raised in price. They're $200 as well. Lately I've been feeling like there aren't many good closed headphones options in the sub $200 range anymore with the prices of M50 and Beyerdynamics going up. 

"Also, I was wondering if IEM's such as the IE80's and Shure SE series were comfortable enough for daily drivers."

Anyone?

"Also, I was wondering if IEM's such as the IE80's and Shure SE series were comfortable enough for daily drivers."

Anyone?

Of course.

The NAD Visio HP50 are designed for portable and home use - they even come with an inline control fro smart phones...

The NAD Visio HP50 are designed for portable and home use - they even come with an inline control fro smart phones...

Tell us how you really feel about the NAD Visio HP50.

Tell us how you really feel about the NAD Visio HP50.

LOL! I like them!

I'm borrowing a pair off a friend at the moment and am pretty sure I am going to buy some for myself. 

I think these, alongside the Focal Pro and Classic, are the start of a new era for closed headphones.

None of them suffer any of the traditional issues of closed back designs. They have controlled, clean bass, low distortion, largely neutral response and surprisingly good separation for closed back designs. 

I have the Focal Classics at the moment, but I think I will switch to the NADs, they are more comfortable, and sound a bit cleaner and more neutral.

I was looking at the Sennheiser DJ8's, how are they in terms of comfort and sound quality? Also, are there any differences between the HD7 DJ and the HD 8 DJ as I noticed that the HD 8 DJ were 60$ more expensive.

I was looking at the Sennheiser DJ8's, how are they in terms of comfort and sound quality? Also, are there any differences between the HD7 DJ and the HD 8 DJ as I noticed that the HD 8 DJ were 60$ more expensive.

The NAD VISO is probably better. 

Do you know what kind of sound signature they have? Is it more bass oriented or is it more flat of a sound signature?

Do you know what kind of sound signature they have? Is it more bass oriented or is it more flat of a sound signature?

It is somewhat bass emphasized.