After delidding 7600x temps idle at 70c-80c and under medium load immediately spike to the 96c cap

Go to solution Solved by berrigan,
2 hours ago, berrigan said:

The title just about sums it up. After getting warm temps with the 7600x I decided to delid my CPU after seeing Der8auers video and followed it best i could. Thankfully my CPU isn't dead yet. However, the temperatures are really high and reach the maximum temperature very easily, more easily than before idling between 70c-80c. I've tried different amounts of liquid metal from a little bit to a decent amount, also applying different amounts of pressure to ensure good contact. Since I had a similar issue before delidding my CPU I thought it might be my X53 Kraken finally dying on my after the last few years after it had been making some noises which I thought might be the pump failing, so I decided to get the newer model. After installing the newer Kraken 240mm AIO the same thing happens. It idles high and maxes out under medium load. I am absolutely stuck and would greatly appreciate any insight into what might be going on. Thanks in advance.  

EDIT: All it was was a contact issue. Screwing the screws in tighter although being careful not to crack the die has worked wonders. This is not quite the improvement i saw from other YouTubers however this is due to the flimsy mounting bracket that comes with Kraken coolers creating a less ideal contact. That being said I am now seeing better temps than before delidding. At 100% usage it never hits 95c, I have left it for a while and it is struggling to hit the 95c temp cap at stock settings no overclock or undervolt. Using a custom water block with a more sturdy contact will likely increase the improvements seen. This ordeal ended up being worth the hassle having learned a few things if nothing else.

Solution is in original post as "EDIT"

The title just about sums it up. After getting warm temps with the 7600x I decided to delid my CPU after seeing Der8auers video and followed it best i could. Thankfully my CPU isn't dead yet. However, the temperatures are really high and reach the maximum temperature very easily, more easily than before idling between 70c-80c. I've tried different amounts of liquid metal from a little bit to a decent amount, also applying different amounts of pressure to ensure good contact. Since I had a similar issue before delidding my CPU I thought it might be my X53 Kraken finally dying on my after the last few years after it had been making some noises which I thought might be the pump failing, so I decided to get the newer model. After installing the newer Kraken 240mm AIO the same thing happens. It idles high and maxes out under medium load. I am absolutely stuck and would greatly appreciate any insight into what might be going on. Thanks in advance.  

EDIT: All it was was a contact issue. Screwing the screws in tighter although being careful not to crack the die has worked wonders. This is not quite the improvement i saw from other YouTubers however this is due to the flimsy mounting bracket that comes with Kraken coolers creating a less ideal contact. That being said I am now seeing better temps than before delidding. At 100% usage it never hits 95c, I have left it for a while and it is struggling to hit the 95c temp cap at stock settings no overclock or undervolt. Using a custom water block with a more sturdy contact will likely increase the improvements seen. This ordeal ended up being worth the hassle having learned a few things if nothing else.

Why go in such a difficult process for such a simple and efficient cpu,

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

1 minute ago, leclod said:

Why go in such a difficult process for such an simple and efficient cpu,

I agree with you on this one. Undervolting would have been better.

21 minutes ago, berrigan said:

I just dont understand why you delidded the CPU to begin with. The 7000 series are designed to run at 95c 24/7, they dont work like other CPU's.  The 7000 series will run a lot warmer than any other CPU's and they are designed that way.
I won't put this lightly, you may have just borked a completely fine CPU.

3 minutes ago, leclod said:

Why go in such a difficult process for such an simple and efficient cpu,

Youtubers made it seem like its something mainstream users should care about. I knew we were going to get posts like this the second you started seeing it on Youtube and articles. 

@berrigan

Are you just replacing the stock IHS or running direct die? There was no thermal issue to begin with from what I can tell, you just weren't familiar with Zen 4's thermal behavior. 

are you using the stock mounting brackets for your AIOs?

with the lid gone, you lost a lot of z-height and no amount of screwing it down will have the cooler even reach the dies.

47 minutes ago, starsmine said:

are you using the stock mounting brackets for your AIOs?

with the lid gone, you lost a lot of z-height and no amount of screwing it down will have the cooler even reach the dies.

I am using the same mounting bracket but with different mounting screws that allow a decrease in the z height because the ones that come with it using the thumb screws are a set height. 

1 hour ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Youtubers made it seem like its something mainstream users should care about. I knew we were going to get posts like this the second you started seeing it on Youtube and articles. 

@berrigan

Are you just replacing the stock IHS or running direct die? There was no thermal issue to begin with from what I can tell, you just weren't familiar with Zen 4's thermal behavior. 

I am running a direct die. You might be right. From what im used to with the 5600x it is quite a thermal leap, although lately before delidding it it seemed to be running at 91c with low cpu usage which didnt seem normal. 

1 hour ago, Hinjima said:

I just dont understand why you delidded the CPU to begin with. The 7000 series are designed to run at 95c 24/7, they dont work like other CPU's.  The 7000 series will run a lot warmer than any other CPU's and they are designed that way.

I like to tinker with computers and I fully understood that from the beginning it was likely to die due to my inexperience. However it is not dead yet although temps seem unusual almost like there is improper contact. I did run it on an undervolt for a couple of months but in a sandwich ITX build it was getting a little to warm and seeing the thermal results from Der8auer, I thought I might try for myself. Otherwise if all else fails I will upgrade to a 7800x3D. 

Why do this? You essentially broke it for what??

1 hour ago, Hinjima said:

Also some youtube channels actually recommend "delidding"? Such a disgrace tbh...

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, leclod said:

Why go in such a difficult process for such a simple and efficient cpu,

I've seen some huge thermal benefits from delidding such as 70c at full load and I really enjoy more advanced stuff

Apple had been delidding CPUs before it was cool. 🃏

This post has been ninja-edited while you weren't looking.

I'm a used parts bottom feeder.  Your loss is my gain.

I like people who tell good RGB jokes.

2 hours ago, berrigan said:

Solution is in original post as "EDIT"

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

Why do this? You essentially broke it for what??

Also some youtube channels actually recommend "delidding"? Such a disgrace tbh...

Nothing is broken.

And why not if you like to tinker. delidding voids warranty, but its not really that risky.