Docsis 4 takes a step forward

Donut417
3 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Increase wages?

1) Cuts in to the bottom line, investors dont like that

2) Decades of telling people to go to school and work with your brain and not your hands. 

3) Shit work ethics 

4) Shit company culture 

Also wages are not the only concern. Remember when the railroad workers were going on strike? It was due to other things besides wages like time off. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

7 hours ago, Donut417 said:

1) Cuts in to the bottom line, investors dont like that

I dont like many things but still have to do them, investors are just a bunch of short sighted crybabies (respect to the few exception). Too bad the USA is actively supporting monopolies so the market cannot weed out these complacent dinosaurs....

10 hours ago, williamcll said:

Increase wages?

Sure, I'm all for it.

...when do you want to pay the delta in my increased ISP bill?

50 minutes ago, StDragon said:

Sure, I'm all for it.

Ah the classic problem. Outrage that McDonalds burgers now costs $XYZ, outrage that the people making it don't make more than $ZYX.

Why is the cost of the burger going up? 🤔

The unintentional or unaware impacts of choices and decisions. Micro venture in to how inflation can happen.

Quality of the work/workmanship also matters too as well and personal factors like fit within team and general conduct etc. I wouldn't actually want just anyone doing fibre installs to homes even with good training, I have seen some real bad jobs or epic dumb decisions on where to run cables.

12 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Too bad the USA is actively supporting monopolies so the market cannot weed out these complacent dinosaurs....

I mean, I have more options for internet today than we did when we originally got cable internet. Verizon has LTE to my home and T Moible can do 5G. Theoretically I could get Starlink. So technically a monopoly doesn't exist. Also the exclusive rights agreement Comcast did have with our city is no longer valid. The issue is it costs a Metric Shit Ton of money to build out a network. For many communities other companies dont have the incentive to over build into someone else's territory. 

The solution is not to provide these companies with money as we already do this and it gets us nowhere. The solution in my opinion is municipal  broadband. But in many states laws are in place to stop this. 

10 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Verizon has LTE to my home and T Moible can do 5G

I wouldnt have mobile as primary. It has data caps (cable internet on the other hand doesnt) and its quite a bit unpredictable as radio waves are susceptible to many things....

4 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

I wouldnt have mobile as primary. It has data caps (cable internet on the other hand doesnt) and its quite a bit unpredictable as radio waves are susceptible to many things....

It doesn't have to be, here 5G Broadband is $80/m (NZD) Unlimited data. My parents have 5G broadband with an external antenna, it's very good.

3 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

It has data caps (cable internet on the other hand doesnt)

Not sure what cable provider you use or what part of the world you are in. Comcast, Cox, WOW, and Mediacom all do data caps on cable internet. Comcast for example is 1.2 TB a month with $10 for every 50 gigs you go over OR you play $25-$30 a month flat fee on top of what you pay for service for "Unlimited". 

12 hours ago, StDragon said:

Sure, I'm all for it.

Imagine living in a country where the network prices goes up while the network speed goes down.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

2 hours ago, williamcll said:

Imagine living in a country where the network prices goes up while the network speed goes down.

Sorry, I can't. It doesn't apply to me. With Comcast, my bandwidth increased 6x while my bill was reduced by 20%; and that's month-to-month with no contract (like to keep my options open with other HSI offerings)

6 hours ago, leadeater said:

It doesn't have to be, here 5G Broadband is $80/m (NZD) Unlimited data. My parents have 5G broadband with an external antenna, it's very good.

that what am doing in fl atm for my connection far faster then what land line isp can do.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

1 hour ago, StDragon said:

Sorry, I can't. It doesn't apply to me. With Comcast, my bandwidth increased 6x while my bill was reduced by 20%; and that's month-to-month with no contract (like to keep my options open with other HSI offerings)

Considering your last post was about the delta with increased prices, I am going to take a guess there will be a worker strike soon.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

9 hours ago, leadeater said:

Even if that were true where i live its still a hit or miss depending on the weather, not to mention the horrendous latency....

9 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Not sure what cable provider you use or what part of the world you are in.

Its in my profile 😉 . Cable here has no data caps, the only annoyance i have with them is the use of CGN without ipv6.....

13 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

hit or miss depending on the weather, not to mention the horrendous latency....

The worst it gets is ~200Mbps but that's very rare, otherwise it's 300Mbps and greater. Also the latency isn't high, barely any different, but higher yes just certainly not what you are likely thinking. These are dedicated 5G deployments on reserved licensed spectrum only to be used for 5G broadband not mobile phones and mobile data.

Just tested it right now, 306.1/59.1 Mbps.

Maybe your companies just need to better invest in 5G infrastructure.

image.png.2924cd7cea996d0a66b76491d5de7bf7.png

Upload would be higher if their property wasn't on the edge of the 5G coverage, their signal isn't actually "that good". But if you do require significantly better upload bandwidth than this then 5G probably isn't as well suited as Fibre or Cable (if actually higher).

P.S. I can't show you the latency since I'm not there and the modem speed test won't show the latency even though it's using Speedtest.net servers.

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

The worst it gets is ~200Mbps but that's very rare, otherwise it's 300Mbps and greater.

20/8 LTE where i live, no 5G. Also the avg latency might seem fine but often itter goes off the charts especially at peak hours.....

/EDIT
Almost forgot, the mobile carrier i signed up for  charges a hefty premium for 5g. (And im pretty sure the rest aint doing it any different.)

Edited by jagdtigger
"not common" wasnt what i wnated to wirte, sometimes my brain does interesting things....

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

ts in my profile 😉 . Cable here has no data caps, the only annoyance i have with them is the use of CGN without ipv6...

Here in the US Verizon and T Mobile both offer Unlimited on wireless. Granted at least on T mobile home internet customers data is on the lowest priority across their network but you can use all the data you need. Every major cable provider besides Charter has some kind of caps and overages. 

2 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Also the avg latency might seem fine but often itter goes off the charts especially at peak hours.....

Sure but that's also on your phone on a much more heavily utilized and congested spectrum right? That's why 5G broadband doesn't actually use any of that so peak load from phones is not really related to peak load demand for 5G broadband, it happens at the same times though. Around 8pm is peak times here which is why it's 200Mbps.

Like my phone vs fibre to the same place ~800km away is 10ms vs 30ms, 30ms used to be a dream on ADSL2+ of the time. Really depends on expectations as to what is good or not but modern 5G broadband is a lot better than most things of the past and by a lot.

Basically it's a really good option but it requires a significant investment and wide enough deployment to make it useful however it's still vastly, vastly cheaper than fibre or anything else that requires new cable runs.

I know it doesn't really help you since it maybe isn't an option there or if it is it's not equivalent to here but what we have is also in Australia, UK and parts of the EU. It's a very cost compelling option for ISPs to do it if there is incentive to invest in improving service quality and different options etc. One of the big problems with ISPs is getting them to do anything as basically in every country they have so much presence power and natural market protection the best business option is do nothing and fault maintenance only.

8 hours ago, leadeater said:

Sure but that's also on your phone on a much more heavily utilized and congested spectrum right?

It will be the same with 5g when everyone switches over to it, plus as i said no coverage and comes at a price premium. Plus cable service is cheaper for a better service so no point in using mobile data.

On 6/10/2023 at 5:44 AM, Brooksie359 said:

Honestly I think the internet is becoming like phones soon where even the lower end speeds and bandwidth are good enough for most people. I mean I have gigabit internet and yet I hardly ever end up using it. I could easily get a lower speed plan and it wouldn't effect me much if at all. 

Downloads maybe I'm waiting for the mid split which should take my uploads from about 30Mbit to 200Mbit.  I get 1.5Gbit down.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

44 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

It will be the same with 5g when everyone switches over to it, plus as i said no coverage and comes at a price premium. Plus cable service is cheaper for a better service so no point in using mobile data.

T Mobile and Verizon offer wireless internet for $50 a month. We pay Comcast $92 a month, the next plan down is $82 a month. So not really a price premium for wireless. The only benefit for cable in my area is you don’t have to deal with CGNAT and you can use your own equipment. 

49 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

5G broadband will always have lower client density per tower since houses will have 1 modem compared to typically multiple phones.

Either way I have no idea what to tell you, if 200Mbps is too little then you have rather high expectations. 5G is a very good option when fibre isn't an option or would cost to much to get installed and the only other competing and compelling option is over priced cable or DSL.

5G broadband is by no means a first choice option usually but it's a great option to have when you have a shared driveway, neighbors who won't agree on any digging of that for fibre install and the cost to do it is very high anyway. That's why my parents use it in the middle of the city. They used to use long range wireless internet that used Ubiquity equipment but the 5G service is faster and more reliable speed.

12 hours ago, Donut417 said:

T Mobile and Verizon offer wireless internet for $50 a month.

We pay less for a 500/25 cable internet, had to massage the provider pretty hard but they took us out of CGN. If i were satisfied with the 200 mbps @leadeater says 5g can do that would be ~20$....

18 hours ago, Donut417 said:

T Mobile and Verizon offer wireless internet for $50 a month. We pay Comcast $92 a month, the next plan down is $82 a month. So not really a price premium for wireless. The only benefit for cable in my area is you don’t have to deal with CGNAT and you can use your own equipment. 

What speeds?  I'm at about $90 for Comcast as well but I have unlimited and 1.5Gbit downloads.  Plus, I completely cut off their TV service so that is all I pay them.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

13 minutes ago, ewitte said:

What speeds?  I'm at about $90 for Comcast as well but I have unlimited and 1.5Gbit downloads.  Plus, I completely cut off their TV service so that is all I pay them.

We get 400/10 for $92 a month with our own modem and 1.2 TB of data a month. 200/10 is $82 and I think the next tier down is either 50 Mbps or 25 Mbps.