Can you paint a speaker cone?

BattleToads

Can you? Yes, you absolutely can do anything.

Is it advisable? Absolutely not. It will absolutely affect the sound. You would be better off attempting to affix some speaker cloth somehow.

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

1 minute ago, Skipple said:

Can you? Yes, you absolutely can do anything.

Is it advisable? Absolutely not. It will absolutely affect the sound. You would be better off attempting to affix some speaker cloth somehow.

This is what I thought as well. The added paint would surely dampen the vibration. How do they do it at the factory, then? Is the actual material itself that color? 

Black Sharpie 🤘

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frost Commander 140, TY-143
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

Almost anything you do will have some impact. Any weight you add to the cone, and anything that affects the material properties of the cone and/or surround will affect the t/s parameters of the driver.

Big, low-frequency drivers will be less sensitive to this than smaller drivers, especially tweeters. 

With that all said, plenty of manufacturers dope their speaker cones (including tweeter domes) with a very sticky coating, and the furry dust coating that this turns into after a year doesn't seem to have too big of an impact on the driver behavior.

On 6/4/2023 at 10:17 AM, BattleToads said:

So I have these speakers: https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Multimedia-Speaker-System-Z533/dp/B011O613W2?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Great speakers, but that copper speaker cone clashes with my build. Would it affect the sound/quality if I painted over it? 

So you're asking if changing the mass and vibration properties of a surface that produces sound will change the sound? 🫠

Maybe you can put acoustic fabric over them? It won't hide the color completely, but it tone down the majority of it.

Edit - fabric over the speaker enclosure not the cone itself.