just upgraded to gigabit, trying to max my connection.

NCC74656

so i get about 915 down right now. im in a gigabit port on my switch. do you think id get more out of it if i ran the cable modem into a 2.5 port? i only have two so id have to buy another switch to expand.

What network equement do you have?

Many isps will over provision, so you can often get 1.2gbit on a 1gbit plan. 

But I wouldn't bother normally 915mbit is extremely close to the limit of gigabit networking.

i have a sfp+ managed zytel switch. a asus router (gigabit), and the cable modem.    cable modem goes to the switch via 1gig and then 10gig to the computer and nas, 2.5 to the attic and living room for branch out to other equipment. 

1 minute ago, NCC74656 said:

i have a sfp+ managed zytel switch. a asus router (gigabit), and the cable modem.    cable modem goes to the switch via 1gig and then 10gig to the computer and nas, 2.5 to the attic and living room for branch out to other equipment. 

So the modem is gigabit? Then getting 2.5 won't help as the link will just run at gigabit.

I'd be happy with that 915 as its basically the limit of gigabit once overhead is added in.

modem is 2.5 but the switch port is 1.  if i got a 4 port 2.5 i could expand my current switch but idk if its worth the 100 bucks or not

Since your bottleneck is your router being only 1gb, 915-940mbps is about the maximum you will see due to overhead. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

ok, so i need a 2.5 router then. hmm

1 hour ago, NCC74656 said:

idk if its worth the 100 bucks or not

Absolutely not worth the $100 to try and go from 915 to 1000.

well my old connection gave me 350 out of 300 and 18 out of 10 met upload.   they say their modems are rated for 2gb so... maybe id get 1200? idk...

suppose i can stick it on a 2.5 port here once i get my 10gb functional and test it

6 minutes ago, NCC74656 said:

well my old connection gave me 350 out of 300 and 18 out of 10 met upload.   they say their modems are rated for 2gb so... maybe id get 1200? idk...

suppose i can stick it on a 2.5 port here once i get my 10gb functional and test it

Just not worth it. Be happy with a gigabit connection. Not worth trying to make 2.5 work since it’s just not really a well accepted standard yet.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

2 hours ago, NCC74656 said:

It depends on the cable company. Comcast (xfinity) for example will over provision by 20% as long as there is enough bandwidth on the node. So for example I have 400 Mbps service we can get up to 480 Mbps assuming our node is not loaded down. Any speeds above 940 Mbps will need a modem and other networking equipment with 2.5 Gbps. Honestly I dont think it will be worth it right at the moment, unless you have an application outside of faster internet to use 2.5 Gbps for. Because as I recall 2.5 Gbps modems like the S33 were going for over $200, then you add in a router with 2.5 Gbps and its a lot more, plus more if you need a switch. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

8 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

It depends on the cable company. Comcast (xfinity) for example will over provision by 20% as long as there is enough bandwidth on the node. So for example I have 400 Mbps service we can get up to 480 Mbps assuming our node is not loaded down. Any speeds above 940 Mbps will need a modem and other networking equipment with 2.5 Gbps. Honestly I dont think it will be worth it right at the moment, unless you have an application outside of faster internet to use 2.5 Gbps for. Because as I recall 2.5 Gbps modems like the S33 were going for over $200, then you add in a router with 2.5 Gbps and its a lot more, plus more if you need a switch. 

well my switch is 2.5/10gb my router is gigabit tho. the modem is 2 according to the company so im guessing its 2.5 and firmware limited to 2? 

i can move my cables around to try for a 2.5 later. i have parts in the mail still for my 10gb link to my nas. ill test things then. i would just need a small switch or hell even a 4 port 2.5/5 hub (if htey make a hub at that speed) to plug into one of hte 2.5 ports on my switch.

my 10 ports are single mode fiber so i cant swap copper around

i may also have an obsession with tinkering. my computer build i spent 4 days tweaking ram before i even installed steam... lol

the modem is 2 according to the company so im guessing its 2.5 and firmware limited to 2? 

Comcast and other US cable providers have just started testing 2 Gbps downloads in select markets. So likely that just the max speed they can do. 2 Gbps Ethernet doesn't exist, its its 1 Gbps, 2.5 Gbps, 5 Gbps or 10 Gbps. Also if the company supplied it, is it an actual modem or an all in one device? Because most ISPs in the US provide all in ones and Im pretty sure thats mostly the standard in most places. 

no its not an AIO, its just a dumb single port box.

15 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Comcast and other US cable providers have just started testing 2 Gbps downloads in select markets. So likely that just the max speed they can do. 2 Gbps Ethernet doesn't exist, its its 1 Gbps, 2.5 Gbps, 5 Gbps or 10 Gbps. Also if the company supplied it, is it an actual modem or an all in one device? Because most ISPs in the US provide all in ones and Im pretty sure thats mostly the standard in most places. 

no its not an AIO, its just a dumb single port box.

Maybe check you plan and see what you have and if they do over provision. Because when Comcast did Gigabit they would supply about 1.2 Gbps, then they upgrade everyone to 1.2 Gbps and started proving 1.4 Gbps over provisioned. But again, not all cable companies are doing this. So you might have to see what your provider does. 

Like others have said, Its not worth going from 915 Mbps to 940 ish Mbps. Honestly what you're currently getting is good enough for most people. There might be a case to be made to have 2.5 Gbps at the router level if the ISP over provisions, but I dont think I would take it to the device level, not for speeds just over 1 Gbps. If you subbed to the 2 Gbps and needed fast file transfers, maybe, but you probably are going to be limited by the servers out on the internet. Remember just because you have a fat pipe doesnt mean that a server on the internet is going to fill it. Many servers have limits for each connection, this way they dont run out of bandwidth.