Boinc CPU Usage Question

Go to solution Solved by Gorgon,

In general you never want to assign all your threads/cores to BOINC, Folding at Home or any other such Distributed Computing Application.

You always should leave at a bare minimum (for say a headless Linux System) one thread free for the OS. OSes with more overhead (say a Linux Desktop running X-Windows) will typically need  more resources and Windows tends to need more than a Linux System.

This will vary depending on the projects being run and the only way to tell for sure is to run a new project with say 1/2 your available threads and slowly increase the number of threads closely monitoring the yield and see if you hit a point of diminishing returns when approaching using all available threads or, in many cases, see your yields start to dramatically decrease at that point as your system is "thrashing" trying to juggle the Distributed Computing tasks and the overhead needed by the OS.

Hello, Quick question I hope someone can help with.

Let's say I built a system just to run Boinc and nothing else. Is it better/Faster to let it use 100% of the CPU or scale it back to where it is just under using maxed utilization?

and/or is it something that is different/based upon CPU(ie i5,i7,i9,e5)

I'm sure I am just overthinking it, but not sure if it bottlenecks just slamming it wide open.

Thank you for your time and any input.

Feel free to help me get better Folding/Boinc gear use my EVGA Affiliate Code: UXDU12XE8E

The term bottleneck only really makes sense when you're talking about one component holding back another component. So for example if your GPU can't reach 100% utilization because your CPU isn't fast enough to keep it fed with data to work on.

In that case intentionally reducing your CPU's workload might increase the time it has to feed the GPU, increasing the GPU's utilization giving you better overall performance. Alternatively you could increase the workload of the GPU, so that it requires new data less often. That would reduce the GPU-specific workload on the CPU and give it more headroom for other stuff.

So if you're running BOINC on your CPU and GPU, it might give you better overall performance if your GPU has a high enough workload that doesn't require constant "refills" from the CPU, so the CPU can spend more time working on its own workload. But if you're just running on the CPU, intentionally reducing its workload will simply reduce the amount of work it will do over time.

Reducing workload might make sense if your CPU is thermal throttling, to reduce its temps and keep up clocks, but then a better cooler would have the same effect, while allowing you to run at full utilization.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

1 hour ago, Mxyzptlk said:

@Eigenvektor how do you reduce or increase the GPU workload in Boinc?

That was a somewhat theoretical point in the case of Boinc.

For games you can increase/decrease resolution or details to increase/decrease GPU workload relative to the CPU. In general a GPU will always run as close to 100% usage as it can(1). The only difference is how many CPU resources are required to achieve that. The best you can do in Boinc is experiment with different projects, see how many CPU resources are required for the GPU to run at 100%.

If the GPU is running below ~90-95% usage(2), then you're likely CPU limited ("CPU bottleneck"). In that case reducing the number of cores or CPU percentage Boinc is allowed to use should give it more headroom to feed the GPU and likely results in more work being done overall. If the GPU is running at 100% regardless, then reducing CPU load won't help anything (other than reduce heat/noise/power usage).

So in regards to OP's question, it is faster to let it use 100% CPU, unless it causes GPU usage to drop well below 100%.

—————

(1) In games you can intentionally reduce GPU load by limiting frame rate below the maximum it can achieve – There's no equivalent limit in Boinc afaik

(2) …and you haven't limited frame rate

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

In general you never want to assign all your threads/cores to BOINC, Folding at Home or any other such Distributed Computing Application.

You always should leave at a bare minimum (for say a headless Linux System) one thread free for the OS. OSes with more overhead (say a Linux Desktop running X-Windows) will typically need  more resources and Windows tends to need more than a Linux System.

This will vary depending on the projects being run and the only way to tell for sure is to run a new project with say 1/2 your available threads and slowly increase the number of threads closely monitoring the yield and see if you hit a point of diminishing returns when approaching using all available threads or, in many cases, see your yields start to dramatically decrease at that point as your system is "thrashing" trying to juggle the Distributed Computing tasks and the overhead needed by the OS.

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m