eBay seller wants me to "bend" his pin back

rand55

Ok I have no idea what to do so I'm asking you guys. First I bought a used B650M Gaming x ax motherboard from an eBay seller who said it was in perfect working order then I go to find when I open the socket I see a singular bent pin. (or missing?)test3.thumb.jpg.6fcd4b51eb91aca4894abda672b1773d.jpg

test.thumb.jpg.654460695d3e4753524aedc898d491cf.jpg

test2.thumb.jpg.ee9213b99b438ff22b09efc5888a914b.jpg

I messaged the seller asking what I should do and he wants me to bend it back but I don't want to risk voiding the eBay money back guarantee (if that's possible) by tampering with it.

Screenshot_20230529-163929.png.8ec7c96ddd49bef2600e011a62d83366.png

Then I looked up the AM5 pinout diagram and it looks like either a VSS or VDDCR pin is bent/missing. After further research it seems like these pins are not as important as others so I can just slot the CPU in? Would I have to remove the bent pin before Inserting the CPU? I'm completely lost what to do. Please help

image.thumb.png.fb3c63b1fabb82cb4395a8f91c8a9c47.png

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/File:Socket_AM5_pinmap.svg

(Link shows it better)

2 minutes ago, rand55 said:

Ok I have no idea what to do so I'm asking you guys. First I bought a used B650M Gaming x ax motherboard from an eBay seller who said it was in perfect working order then I go to find when I open the socket I see a singular bent pin. (or missing?)test3.thumb.jpg.6fcd4b51eb91aca4894abda672b1773d.jpg

test.thumb.jpg.654460695d3e4753524aedc898d491cf.jpg

test2.thumb.jpg.ee9213b99b438ff22b09efc5888a914b.jpg

I messaged the seller asking what I should do and he wants me to bend it back but I don't want to risk voiding the eBay money back guarantee (if that's possible) by tampering with it.

Screenshot_20230529-163929.png.8ec7c96ddd49bef2600e011a62d83366.png

Then I looked up the AM5 pinout diagram and it looks like either a VSS or VDDCR pin is bent/missing. After further research it seems like these pins are not as important as others so I can just slot the CPU in? Would I have to remove the bent pin before Inserting the CPU? I'm completely lost what to do. Please help

image.thumb.png.fb3c63b1fabb82cb4395a8f91c8a9c47.png

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/File:Socket_AM5_pinmap.svg

(Link shows it better)

Me, I'd just return it.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

Do not, under any circumstances, do that. The second you do, the seller can tell eBay that you modified the item, and eBay can block a return at that point.

Tell the seller that the item was shipped to you defective, and you would like a return label.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

Do not, under any circumstances, do that. The second you do, the seller can tell eBay that you modified the item, and eBay can block a return at that point.

Tell the seller that the item was shipped to you defective, and you would like a return label.

I'm now realising on the original product page he didn't take a picture of the socket. I am thinking of going the return route but the seller seems like he wants to help me by suggesting the things in the message. Should I tell eBay instead? The seller might get defensive and start saying I damaged it instead or something. 

10 minutes ago, rand55 said:

I'm now realising on the original product page he didn't take a picture of the socket. I am thinking of going the return route but the seller seems like he wants to help me by suggesting the things in the message. Should I tell eBay instead? The seller might get defensive and start saying I damaged it instead or something. 

Screenshot the current conversation with the seller too, in case you need it as proof.
And hopefully you have a video when you unboxed the packaging & check the item for the first time too.

but the seller seems like he wants to help me by suggesting the things in the message

I doubt it.

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

6 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Screenshot the current conversation with the seller too, in case you need it as proof.
And hopefully you have a video when you unboxed the packaging & check the item for the first time too.

I doubt it.

Ok I'm gonna try to return it but I think the guy broke it by putting the CPU cover on (like he said), but I don't know a safe way to return it without that on? It feels like the cover is a one time thing but I don't know don't want to break it further

16853776608105036432078282919600.thumb.jpg.7bdfa59a5e26df1ce0fd8b6a495aa5c0.jpg

30 minutes ago, rand55 said:

Ok I'm gonna try to return it but I think the guy broke it by putting the CPU cover on (like he said), but I don't know a safe way to return it without that on? It feels like the cover is a one time thing but I don't know don't want to break it further

16853776608105036432078282919600.thumb.jpg.7bdfa59a5e26df1ce0fd8b6a495aa5c0.jpg

Socket cover is not a one time use thing.
It is provided to protect those pins when there's no CPU installed.

IIRC, manufacturer will outright reject RMA if the motherboard returned without it.

By my own logic, if the damage really was caused by... let's say him dropping the socket cover onto the pins, the damage would be more than 1 pin. And he would've noticed it anyway. Those shits are really delicate.

It should snap into place on top of the metal bracket.

basically :

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E38212_01/html/E38221/gnxak.html

image.thumb.png.b778ba7ad05c395dc817e0d3ddfa5334.png

Refresh before you reply

42 minutes ago, rand55 said:

The seller sent you a damaged board, he knows it, and he wants you to eat it. Trust me: been there, seen that. Go to the purchase and open a return saying the item is not as described (or damaged, whichever), fill out the quick explanation, and wait for the return label (paid for by the seller) to show up. If you try to make any kind of alteration to the board at all, even just doing what the seller said to, you're going to lose in a return dispute because that seller will tell eBay that you damaged the item yourself while altering it.

No picture of the socket + "have you tried this?" from the seller = someone who's trying to pull a fast one.

Just now, aisle9 said:

The seller sent you a damaged board, he knows it, and he wants you to eat it. Trust me: been there, seen that. Go to the purchase and open a return saying the item is not as described (or damaged, whichever), fill out the quick explanation, and wait for the return label (paid for by the seller) to show up. If you try to make any kind of alteration to the board at all, even just doing what the seller said to, you're going to lose in a return dispute because that seller will tell eBay that you damaged the item yourself while altering it.

No picture of the socket + "have you tried this?" from the seller = someone who's trying to pull a fast one.

For sure. I just have no idea how to return it safely since the CPU cover doesn't seem to sit flush on the socket and if I mess it up it will lead to further damage. I can see 4 crosses underneath the cover but I have no idea where they are meant to lineup + also see my other image in the other reply16853797431916982429162117560611.thumb.jpg.7fe89e1d9eff99a4f8f7b3b1d9dafe74.jpg

28 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Socket cover is not a one time use thing.
It is provided to protect those pins when there's no CPU installed.

IIRC, manufacturer will outright reject RMA if the motherboard returned without it.

By my own logic, if the damage really was caused by... let's say him dropping the socket cover onto the pins, the damage would be more than 1 pin. And he would've noticed it anyway. Those shits are really delicate.

It should snap into place on top of the metal bracket.

basically :

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E38212_01/html/E38221/gnxak.html

image.thumb.png.b778ba7ad05c395dc817e0d3ddfa5334.png

Wait I think im now realising the seller put the CPU cover on underneath the metal cover??? Here's his original image Screenshot_20230529-180915.png.b7ba9fbb07bc36c6d9cdbd9dc228ab41.png

8 minutes ago, rand55 said:

Wait I think im now realising the seller put the CPU cover on behind the metal plate??? Here's his original image Screenshot_20230529-180915.png.b7ba9fbb07bc36c6d9cdbd9dc228ab41.png

AFAIK, all socket covers are installed on the outside.

It's made like that so it will pop out by itself if you install a CPU and try to secure the metal hinge, if it's on the inside then it won't pop out no?.

Idk too if it's normal or not that the socket cover you got looks different from the pic on gigabyte website.

@aisle9 , @manikyath Can you clarify ?

Refresh before you reply

This happened to a board that I sold once. Asked the buyer if they were willing to fix it, they were not, I accepted the return. Simple as.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

20 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

It's made like that so it will pop out by itself if you install a CPU and try to secure the metal hinge, if it's on the inside then it won't pop out no?.

Idk too if it's normal or not that the socket cover you got looks different from the pic on gigabyte website.

It did pop out but I had to use quit a scary amount of force. Obviously I have nothing to compare the amount of force used but soon as it unlatched the cover ricocheted a bit inside then I just removed it and saw the socket. This video is the exact board and it looks like the seller has actually misplaced the cover and it should go on top.

But I have a different problem, the covers "hooks" are somewhat bent in different directions and it's preventing me from properly attaching It to the metal cover. I could sit it on top and cello tape it or something but I'm not sure that's the best idea.

16853821232175049823019820671971.thumb.jpg.d9cfd7b9a762901db076894106343fe6.jpg

16853828715171159463490464377778.thumb.jpg.8aedc47d22d09b41277d3663b9f0a844.jpg

38 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Ignore the other message for the large part I managed to clip it on. Albeit a little bent16853828715171159463490464377778.thumb.jpg.8aedc47d22d09b41277d3663b9f0a844.jpg

23 minutes ago, rand55 said:

It did pop out but I had to use quit a scary amount of force. Obviously I have nothing to compare the amount of force used but soon as it unlatched the cover ricocheted a bit inside then I just removed it and saw the socket. This video is the exact board and it looks like the seller has actually misplaced the cover and it should go on top.

But I have a different problem, the covers "hooks" are somewhat bent in different directions and it's preventing me from properly attaching It to the metal cover. I could sit it on top and cello tape it or something but I'm not sure that's the best idea.

16853821232175049823019820671971.thumb.jpg.d9cfd7b9a762901db076894106343fe6.jpg

What I meant by : it normally pops out by itself when installing CPU

Well, if you want to really make that mangled cover secured in place in shipping you can use masking tape.

Although, I dunno if the seller gonna use that against you.

Refresh before you reply

1 hour ago, aisle9 said:

I can't seem to open a return as the item still says "paid" not even dispatched apparently? I think the seller has to do these steps on his end? The only option I have is contact the seller under "more actions "Screenshot_20230529-190730.png.07583ce5f7a0ad059203c179013ffecf.png

On 5/29/2023 at 2:10 PM, rand55 said:

I can't seem to open a return as the item still says "paid" not even dispatched apparently? I think the seller has to do these steps on his end? The only option I have is contact the seller under "more actions "Screenshot_20230529-190730.png.07583ce5f7a0ad059203c179013ffecf.png

This is starting to sound like the seller is either incompetent or was trying to sell a defective board from the start and cover his tracks. 

I know newer products are cheaper, but this is a HUGE reason I will never buy used tech.

My Main PC

• CPU: 13700KF
  • Motherboard: MSI MAG Z790 Tomahawk
  • RAM: 32GB (16GBx2) DDR5-6000MHz TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta
  • GPU: RTX 4070 ASUS Dual
  • Case: RAIDMAX X603
  • Storage: WD SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair RM850X Fully Modular
  • Cooling: DEEPCOOL LS720
  • Display(s): Gigabyte G24F2 & Dell S2318HN/NX
  • Keyboard: Logitech G512 Carbon (GX Blue)
  • Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero
  • Sound: Bose Headphone & Creative SBS260
  • Operating System: Windows 11 Pro

Laptop: Alienware m15 R1

• CPU: 9750H
  • MB: OEM
  • RAM: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4 2666Mhz
  • GPU: RTX 2060 (Mobile)

Phone: Galaxy A54

Other: Nintendo Switch

18 minutes ago, Azurael said:

This is starting tobsoynd like the seller is either incompetent or was trying to sellba defective board from the start and cover his tracks. 

I know user products are cheaper, bit this is a HUGE reason I will never buy used tech.

What do I do? Contact eBay directly or what?

2 minutes ago, rand55 said:

What do I do? Contact eBay directly or what?

I would. The seller didn't upload tracking info, but the board is clearly in your hands.

Did you buy this from a brand new seller?

3 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

I would. The seller didn't upload tracking info, but the board is clearly in your hands.

Did you buy this from a brand new seller?

The seller joined in 2015, private seller has 100% feedback and 27 items sold 

1 hour ago, rand55 said:

The seller joined in 2015, private seller has 100% feedback and 27 items sold 

Call eBay and tell them that the seller shipped you an item that is damaged and is not as described in the listing. You have spoken to them, but they are asking you to attempt repairs yourself instead of returning it. The eBay site isn't showing the option of opening a return. That should be enough to get you going.

12 hours ago, rand55 said:

Wait I think im now realising the seller put the CPU cover on underneath the metal cover??? Here's his original image Screenshot_20230529-180915.png.b7ba9fbb07bc36c6d9cdbd9dc228ab41.png

That is how it's supposed to be used and if brandnew out of the box, this is what you'd normally see.
However it does appear the seller used the wrong CPU socket protector for that particular socket/board, that's why it's not fitting or even looking right and that may have caused damage to the socket just by using it.

Go ahead and do as others have suggested - Return it for a refund and DO NOT even try to fix it yourself.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

3 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

That is how it's supposed to be used and if brandnew out of the box, this is what you'd normally see.
However it does appear the seller used the wrong CPU socket protector for that particular socket/board, that's why it's not fitting or even looking right and that may have caused damage to the socket just by using it.

Go ahead and do as others have suggested - Return it for a refund and DO NOT even try to fix it yourself.

I'm sorry I don't understand what your saying. If you look at the video I linked in a different reply the brand new board comes with the CPU cover attached/clipped ontop of the metal cover. The seller has jammed the CPU cover between the socket and the metal plate like in the pic. Also I don't know it looks like the right cover to me? Anyways I filed for return just waiting for seller response.

13 hours ago, rand55 said:

I'm sorry I don't understand what your saying. If you look at the video I linked in a different reply the brand new board comes with the CPU cover attached/clipped ontop of the metal cover. The seller has jammed the CPU cover between the socket and the metal plate like in the pic. Also I don't know it looks like the right cover to me? Anyways I filed for return just waiting for seller response.

Just checked that and saw AMD boards have it different than Intels do - At least the older Intels.

You are correct about it having to be on the outside of the lid rather than inside. It seems the cover snaps into place and should stay there.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.