How common are storage device check for a first timer landing onto Australia?

crsahkaz

I admit having files "from the seas" and passwords saved locally that I plan to bring into Australia, but not sure if there's a good way to go around it.

Any suggestions or advice is fine, albeit download is on my lowest priority (since uploading and redownloading will take a really long time, as I heard Australia internet is quite slow / bad + my net is slow on  upload, too).

A storage device check sounds dystopia as fuck. I wasn't even aware that might be a thing. 

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

If you bring a laptop or tablet through airport security, expect to have the item inspected. In my very limited experience, they will check the physical device but otherwise let you go.

There's a smaller chance they can ask you to unlock the device and open it - unless you're a citizen of the country you're entering (and even then, this varies per your rights), you will be required to comply, or face being denied entry.

So, just like, don't keep your pirated files on the desktop.

For something like an external HDD or something, check the Flight Rules, but you can probably just put it into your checked baggage. Just make sure to encrypt any files you don't want anyone snooping on.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

22 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

an external HDD or something, check the Flight Rules, but you can probably just put it into your checked baggage

That will only raise suspicion.  

Australia has very tight border controls and if they catch you hiding something then you'll get a full exam.  They are constantly looking for unauthorized materials.  A few tv shows might not be a problem, it's the illegal things they're looking for.  

They will boot you out real quick if they feel like it.  

On 5/29/2023 at 10:48 AM, crsahkaz said:

I heard Australia internet is quite slow /

🤦

Maybe in the bush somewhere there might be Spotty service.  

4 minutes ago, Heliian said:

That will only raise suspicion.  

Can you elaborate - are electronics banned from checked baggage? As I said, OP should check the appropriate regulations. There has to be guidelines on how to transport electronics like an external HDD. Whether it's checked baggage or carry-on, I would expect the customs and security agents to check it out, maybe plug it in, but I doubt they'll scan the whole HDD unless you raise some kind of red flag.

And besides that, as long as OP encrypts anything they don't want to be snooped on, they should be fine.

Australia has very tight border controls and if they catch you hiding something then you'll get a full exam.  They are constantly looking for unauthorized materials.  A few tv shows might not be a problem, it's the illegal things they're looking for.  

They're likely looking for stuff like CEM/CP. I doubt any border agent gives a crap if you've got TV shows on your HDD.

They will boot you out real quick if they feel like it.  

That's the case with literally most countries. Don't piss off your customs agent.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 5/29/2023 at 12:50 PM, dalekphalm said:

If you bring a laptop or tablet through airport security, expect to have the item inspected. In my very limited experience, they will check the physical device but otherwise let you go.

There's a smaller chance they can ask you to unlock the device and open it - unless you're a citizen of the country you're entering (and even then, this varies per your rights), you will be required to comply, or face being denied entry.

So, just like, don't keep your pirated files on the desktop.

For something like an external HDD or something, check the Flight Rules, but you can probably just put it into your checked baggage. Just make sure to encrypt any files you don't want anyone snooping on.

I wonder how customs would react to a full disk encrypted Linux laptop with a CLI grub decrypt and a fully encrypted external HDD that's not recognized on Windows or Mac. They'd probably have my ass sent right back to where I came from. 

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

I'm an expat living in Australia and travel back and forth 2 or 3 times a year (excepting during the covid days where I went nowhere for 2 years), but I've never had Australian customs check my laptop, phone or any other device. Not saying that it is something that doesn't happen, just that I think this is a pretty low probability event you're getting worked up about.

6 hours ago, RevTadd said:

I'm an expat living in Australia and travel back and forth 2 or 3 times a year (excepting during the covid days where I went nowhere for 2 years), but I've never had Australian customs check my laptop, phone or any other device. Not saying that it is something that doesn't happen, just that I think this is a pretty low probability event you're getting worked up about.

You can say I'm paranoid. Probably a bit too much.

This is because I want to bring my PC's data over.

Unless they have suspicions that you’re not a genuine visitor (ie. coming into the country to illegally work or going to school without a student visa) or that you’ve committed a crime prior (even outside of the country) that would make you inadmissible, they’re unlikely going to check the data on your devices. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

On 5/30/2023 at 12:50 PM, dalekphalm said:

elaborate

Random drives hidden in checked baggage will look like you're trying to smuggle CP as you say. 

Last time I went to Australia (2012 iirc) they took my laptop, camera, SD cards, ipod, and external HDD to check them (I'm was there to take landscape pictures) and I spent six hours in detention while they kept asking me where the CP was. They eventually did let me go because they obviously didn't find anything.

I probably won't ever go back to Australia. I found the whole process ridiculous. NZ gets my tourist dollars now.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

18 hours ago, Heliian said:

Random drives hidden in checked baggage will look like you're trying to smuggle CP as you say. 

But what defines as hidden? Are you you saying it's against guidelines to travel with hard drives in checked baggage? What if the drive is not hidden, but easily located in a side pouch or right on top of all your clothes?

What I'm getting at, is I'm asking what is the recommended guideline for transporting a hdd with you?

If you travel to Australia, be prepared that they might force you to hand over your devices and passwords, and that they may detain you in a room while they take your devices to a different room to do who-knows-what with them. They are also allowed to make full copies of your unencrypted devices.

According to this article, they did this around 41.000 times between 2017 and 2021, without warrants.

It's still probably a very small percentage of travelers, but it is something to keep in mind. Australia is not exactly well known for being friendly towards encryption and privacy.

Previous post removed for reason: OP seems to have started multiple topics about hiding data and avoiding suspicion while getting data through airport security, which isn't something I want to be part of.

Locked. When entering a country you comply with any rules and laws and only bring with you what is legally allowed.

Community Standards

• Discussion on engaging in hacking or cracking is not allowed, including:
    • Bypassing security features, restrictions, or filters (including parental filters, school restrictions, or workplace monitoring), including on your own device.
  • Any illegal content or discussion on engaging in illegal activities is not permitted. Canadian law applies, as well as any jurisdictions that apply to you

Discussion on how to engage in piracy is not allowed.

• Redistribution of copyrighted material, including links to third party hosting sites, is not permitted.